RBMoo SG1 - Oh the Humanity - Team C

20 turn cycles?? 20 turn cycles???

I'd hate to see what kind of @#$% you'd end up with after 20 turns of my playing. Half the empire is in unrest. The entire fleet is two generations behind in tech. Spies are running around rampid around the empire. But I did conquer a few systems!! Ok, here's the empire for you Zed.

;)

Besides it's easier for me to block off time at 10 turn cycles than 20 turn cycles. It takes 60-90 minutes for 10 turns now (and I know I don't fully take care of everything). I can't imagine having to block out 3 hours for 20 turns. Once we get a bit closer to mop up, 20 turns will be fine, but I think we are still in the critical area where 10 turns is fine.

Alright, 10 it is. :) Although I should note for Brackard's sake that 20 per turn would probably get more time-consuming as the game goes on if anything; it certainly would not get less time-consuming.

Ah...but you see Zed. When we are in mop up stage, there's really no danger in losing, so I don't have to care quite as much about curing that revolt on that small planet in the corner of the galaxy.

So what if we are only at 30% efficiency, we are cranking out 10x the ships of the rest of the galaxy combined. ;) What!! Our ships are 3 generations behind? That's ok, they are still 4 generations ahead of the nearest competitor.

That's why I think mop up will be a bit quicker. :)

Sorry guys, fire at work I need to fight. I can't get to this until Saturday morning. If someone wants to go before that feel free.

erm, Drasca? Finals week over?

Otherwise, Meldor, we will have to wait for you on Sat if Drasca can't take it. Brackard and I just played.

EDIT: Brackard, I checked out the save file. Tabit isn't just a viable target, it's a soft target. While there's 5 planets in the system, only 2 of them have significant populations on them, and none have more than 2 planetary bases for defense (meaning no missile bases.) One of the planets there has 50k pop units on it, meaning it's a fairly good spot to try and build a mob center at.

Indu San, on the other hand, I'm pretty sure is their capital; having 24 system ships is usually a pretty good indicator that it's an old system with lots of pop, since the only reason they'd have 24 ships there is to combat major piracy. If we can take that, they will be in serious trouble as far as production goes until they can rebuild their imperial seat of government. Plus if we kill all the system ships in there, it will mean they will have major unrest problems to cope with in that system (which we will unfortunately inherit when we capture the planets, but c'est la guerre.)

Which target should we pursue? Well, both, of course. :) The only question is in what order. I think we need to get a quick start on a mob center in Tabit to further our conquests west of there, but we might only need a smaller portion of our force there to wipe out the limited defenses they have up and guard against potential ship incursions from elsewhere while the main portion of our force strikes at Indu San.

As far as attacking at Thoth goes, I think we could probably do it. Thoth V has no planetary defenses; if we assault there, we can take on their ships in isolation before we attack planets with missile bases and such. The Silicoids are 10 tech levels behind us, and the ships you have insystem are reasonably recent BB designs; not the latest stuff, but probably better than anything the Silicoids have on hand, especially since most of their ships in Thoth are going to be old police defenses and pretty much worthless against our BBs.

As far as the fishies, I might have gotten the system names scrambled on my chicken scratch notepad. I know one of them had 5 planets, lots of ships, and looked pretty beefy. The other looked comparatively new.

As far as the rocks, I know they're designs are outdated. We took out 16 of their ships on an incoming course at Trilar with the TFs current at Thoth. If the leeches were any example, we could probably not even have to worry about it and take missle bases and all.

Wathcing those carriers in action is some fun stuff. Those fighters are an incredible swarm of death. The big ships try to cope shooting down 1 or 2, but it just doesn't matter!

Yeah, that's why I was/am a bit concerned about going after serious planetary defenses at the leech homeworld -- we don't have that kind of heavy fighter support there yet. Our LR BBs are fairly tough, but not invulnerable, and planetary beam bases pack a pretty big punch. Enough fighters will take them down with no risk to our ships, or at least we need enough fighters to distract the defenders while our gunships get in there and pound. We'll see what whoever's next can accomplish. :)

I am trying to get there. It is on the list. Unfortunately RL has gotten us all lately. I will try to get it over the next tow days.

Well, we are waiting for Meldor, but Civ3 seems to be higher on his to-do list atm. :undecide:

What's the general consensus, should we stick it out or bow to the (seemingly) inevitable and can the game? I'm happy to keep it up if we can get some momentum going again but it seems that neither Meldor nor Drasca are too keen on it. I know people have had exams and otherwise been busy, but this has gotten beyond ridiculous; without a bigger team we simply can't afford to have players sitting on the sidelines for weeks on end like this. The occasional skip is one thing, and perfectly acceptable -- in fact discipline in enforcing skips when appropriate is very important to a successful SG. But once you get down to the point where there's no-one left that's suitable to skip to, and no real interest on the part of the people being skipped to take up the game again, it's very hard to keep any momentum going at all.

Please vote yea or nay for continuing. If I get 2 nays, I submit we concede the game, or each play it out on our own if desired, and post the results of our shadows (if any) here.

I can' tsay as I did much beyond trying to get the unrest taken care of. We had revlot in seversl systems. I sent ships to most of them. There are suppression ships on the way to teh two remaining.

Militarily, I continues those assualts that were in place.

As for the idea of continuing this SG, I will bow to the majority.

I must apologize for my reluctance to jump in on this one. It is due mostly to the fact that I don't know htis game as well as I should. RL has not afforded me the time to spend extra hours getting to know the game the way I would like. I have therefore been reluctant to pick it up and ruin what we have going. I do have some vacation coming up here in the 23rd for two weeks. I am planning on taking this with me so I can finally get in the experience I need to know what it is I am doing. I am afriad that I am unfortunately still at the stumbleing around in the dark phase. In a lot of ways the UI on this game frustrates me, and this may also lend to the problem.

Again I apologize and will promise to do better, if you can accept that I will for the next couple of weeks be the weakest of the players.

Heh, Meldor, if you don't feel that you know what you are doing, that's ok, neither does the AI. :crazyeye: Besides which, this is supposed to be an exploratory game; making mistakes and learning as we go are par for the course. We're still ironing out how to even run an SG for MOO, and to figure out what the basic building blocks are for getting any kind of a win in a team environment. We're not yet at the stage where we should be expecting optimized teams where all players in the game are playing at peak efficiency in an appropriately challenging game for their collective skill level -- in fact I doubt MOO3 is even capable of generating that kind of experience right now -- and we're a long way from worrying about considering player skill level when forming teams for SGs.

I still want a vote from you, however. Whether you feel you are a weak or a strong player is not what's important -- whether you feel capable of and willing to commit time to the game is.

Incidentally, the best lessons I think we can learn from RBMooI are not so much about what the game does/doesn't do, but what we need to do in order to run SGs for MOO3. While learning about what the game does is obviously useful, what the game does is likely to change a great deal over the course of the next patch(es), so any given thing we learn about the game now has indeterminate value looking into the future; what we learn about organizing MOO3 SGs and Imperiums will have a much longer life expectancy.

EDIT: I can't post got it tonight, so I'll give Drasca a bit of a window before grabbing it. If he doesn't get it, I will grab it, though I won't be able to play until Fri night or Sat.

I'm voting to continue. I tend to enjoy finishing what I start. If/when the patch comes along, we can scrap this game, but until then, let's keep it rolling.

I vote to continue, I don't like to leave things in mid-game. As long as you guys will put up with me not knowing what I should do all the time then lets push on.

One question. I was trying to make TFs to send out to fight and also to send out to re-enforce some lines and send in some troops. It was extremely frustrating trying to find an allowed combination of ships. Why can't I make a TF with whatever darn ships I want to put in it. I wanted to send some of the smaller ships to put down unrest, but couldn't make small TFs for the duty. What was I missing, or is this just something you have to deal with? What happens if you make the wrong combination of ships? We had a bunch of crusiers in one system that I couldn't do anything with because I couldn't find a way to make a TF with them?

Top Bottom