RBW1 - The True Isolationist

I'm sorry, but I'll have to pass. I'm not sure if I'll be able to play for awhile again.

I played about 7 more turns. Basically, I took Tokyo but then Hannibal showed up with 2 HUGE stacks. This is the second, smaller one:

That's in addition to hatty's stack of 5 grenadiers and toku's stack of 3 grens and 3 knights.

I killed his first stack with the troops that captured Tokyo, but Hannibal captured that city. We held out against his second stack and killed the rest, but we only have about 5 troops in Kagoshima left. That city is no longer under pressure and we signed peace with Toku for Music.

Trying to get Hannibal and Hatty to give us peace, I captured Hannibal's 4 cities on our mainland. But they still won't talk yet.

So we've lost our huge stacks but I really wasn't expecting Hannibal to declare.

Fortunately we are still close to the dom limit and Mao no longer has a DP with Hannibal. So we can regroup and attack him or Toku, hoping Hannibal doesn't pile in again.

Our wooden ships are hiding in our cities in fear of hannibal's battleships.

The save is here. I guess liquidated is up now - can you play?

Sorry it's been super hectic here with holidays and hrm well family mini crisis... nothing too serious keeping in mind the tragedies I've seen on this board alone but enough to tie me down.

I should be able to play tonight after work.

Cheers!
-Liq

well not a whole Lot I can do here except turtle up and make a few machine guns... turns consist of hanible bringing the defenses of any costal town down to 0%. In 1824 I can finally talk to hanible but even and offer of 900 gold isn;t enough to get peace. Combustion comes in at 1825 and choose economics for the long long path to assembly line. hanibal has 2 cav units chain pillaging around kagoshima, maybe when all is bare will he fall for peace. Am railroading as many cities together as I can to faciltate mg's moving about in case of an attack.

oh great and in 1929 Hannibal completes the apollo and gets a great artist. Until we get han off our backs no possible way to ship troops to anywhere. Also switch to constitution after econ comes in, not a whole lot of choice here but want infantry posthaste. For some reason hatty feels compelled to exp the troops holding out bit of japan the entire time.

Literally not much to do here kind of a wait and see with all those destroyers out there.

The clock has started though, apollo is built and hannibal has a huge tech lead.

Cheers!
-Liq

Hey guess what? Some more turns got played in this SG! Crazy.

Started off giving Hannibal and Hatty Kagoshima for peace. It looks bad, but we still got 4 cities off Hannibal in this war and severely dented Toku's army.

Then changed all east coast cities to galleons and whipped them next turn. Cancelled most machine gun builds, changed them to cannon. Changed research from Constitution to Sci Meth. No point going for combustion if we can't even see the oil!

6 turns later we redeclared on Toku. Let's see if we can finish this without more Carthaginian interference! Captured Giza and Pi-Ramesses, killed a counterattack stack outside Pi-Rammeses and killed off an invasion party of 6 units. Next player has a rather gigantic battle with the capital.

There's a settler for a spot 4E of Giza. A bunch of units are unmoved and the stack outside Kyoyo may need promotions to the machinegunners.

The game is still winnable - Hannibal only has a few casings build. Once we kill Toku we will be close to the dom limit and may have to attack Mao. Once Kyoto falls we need to finish Japan off as quickly as possible.

Let's have some more interest please. This is a Realms Beyond game - we can't just abandon it. The roster from the start of the game was:

Qwack
sooooo
Playshogi
mbuna120
Karr1255
Liquidated

From that, I think I've seen most people around commenting and things. Let's get going again. The Save.

Since it is my turn, I'll give it a go over the weekend. I've been burned out of playing civ and I'm in over my head on emperor. I hope I don't mess it up too badly.

I fired up the game, but I have no idea what to do, so I have to pass again. I've decided I don't like variants.

OK I'm willing to call this one lost now. I played 10 more turns, captured most of Japan but then Toku became a vassal of Hannibal which put us at war with Hannibal and Hatty again. Our rifles and grenadiers aren't so hot against mech infantry. Hannibal is going to win a space race, we lost.

Do you think beating up Ragnar instead of Hannibal would be easier. Ragnar is financial, but is usually technologically backwards (building a lot of units?).

I checked the save a while ago and basically knew the game was lost. This was really one of the toughest games ive played and really goes to show how much the human relies on trading with the AI's to win.

Maybe if we had started at monarch and moved up by getting experience we could have won a emperor game with this variant, but its pretty hard, especially in a situation like this where we dont have enough land on our island for domination.

Lurker's comment

Hey guys, I started reading this thread. Interesting stuff. Do you think the game was lost in the early going without you really knowing it? A couple of things I thought about:

1) You had a city with another 2 gold pits to the south of your capital but you delayed founding it. Have you seen the way research churns when working FOUR gold pits in the early going??? Insane. Imo that should've been your 2nd city site.

2) I agree Liz should've been first, but you had to stretch yourself so far prior to CoL and your research kinda got killed due to distance costs. You took her out, but at what cost?

3) Putting together points 1 and 2, do you think it would've been better to play peaceful with a total of 3-4 cities while zooming to CoL then build a couple more cities then zoom to machinery/cs and then attack Liz with maces prior to her getting longbows (= very very easy)? Then you would've been able to put courthouses in these captured cities right away and minimize maintenance...

Hindsight of course is 20/20 but I thought that I would chime in with these 2 cents...

Lurker's comment

Hey guys, I started reading this thread. Interesting stuff. Do you think the game was lost in the early going without you really knowing it? A couple of things I thought about:

1) You had a city with another 2 gold pits to the south of your capital but you delayed founding it. Have you seen the way research churns when working FOUR gold pits in the early going??? Insane. Imo that should've been your 2nd city site.

2) I agree Liz should've been first, but you had to stretch yourself so far prior to CoL and your research kinda got killed due to distance costs. You took her out, but at what cost?

3) Putting together points 1 and 2, do you think it would've been better to play peaceful with a total of 3-4 cities while zooming to CoL then build a couple more cities then zoom to machinery/cs and then attack Liz with maces prior to her getting longbows (= very very easy)? Then you would've been able to put courthouses in these captured cities right away and minimize maintenance...

Hindsight of course is 20/20 but I thought that I would chime in with these 2 cents...

I think this game was lost over the course of the entire game, not really at one specific point. Not being able to trade tech's put us behind indefinately and Hannibal got too far ahead. We would have won tihs game if Hannibal wasnt in the game or atleast hadnt gotten as strong as he did.

1. The 2 golds city in the south had absolutely no food to support them. We only worked 1 gold when we eventually did found the city anyways. And the fur city we did found was 1/1/4 tiles compared to 0/2/7 from the gold. Not really that big of a difference.

2/3. Maybe and maybe not. We had some pretty bad land near us, and Liz would have been alot stronger if we had let her expand more than she already
had.

Top Bottom