1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Real Strategy (AI) 1.8

Making AI better. One bit at a time.

1. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Find in _Main.sql this line "('MilitaryVictoryPseudoYields', 'PSEUDOYIELD_HAPPINESS', 1, 15), -- amenities" and change 15 to whatever you want. Basically 25-50 means "be super focused on this", 100 means "nothing else matters, be crazy about it".
    And run exactly the same games, first as usual, second with this parameter changed.

2. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Click Righ-Button of this part of the panel with districts, and a window with the code will open. It is an easy code. Repeat one of the line to add a new district, also add a column for it (top line Name).

3. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

Can I do it with saving a game on turn 1 and then play it with the versions I make?

4. Infixo

Infixo Deity

5. V. Soma

OK - tomorrow I will do :)

Infixo likes this.
  6. V. Soma

huh :)
    I just played a test game with nothing changed in RST
    Mongolia, Scythia, Hungary, (Maori) - duel map - DV only - smoother omniscent

And Mongols DID capture all capitals by turn 180... phew... :)

and all map was Mongolian by turn 273:
    Mongolia full DV t273.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Infixo and glider1 like this.
  7. V. Soma

I did another run of the above save (from turn 1) - and Mongolia again did DV - in turn 185 - and took whole map by turn 272...
    Exactly the same story...

So I try other setting

8. V. Soma

Thanks I made the FT changes to show entertainment districts (and the brazil one) + waterpark (and the brazil one) as one count

Infixo likes this.
  9. V. Soma

In my new test I have the same setting but with tiny map - so more space for all civs

we are in turn 120 and all 3 civs are big and healthy (9-12 cities)...

10. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Another run, but with changed amenities?

11. V. Soma

First I want to see game where conquest is slow or not happening with the "15" amenity

12. V. Soma

test PSEUDOYIELD_HAPPINESS "15" with the tiny map:

Hungary is strong but conquers only after 250 turns
    first conquers whole Maori (neighbour to Hungary)
    then together with Mongolis they slowly get Scythia land
    Hungary captures Scythia capital

Hungary has 4x military of Mongols, 2x of Scythia

turn 400:
    tiny test 1 - t 400.jpg

next will come same save with "45"

13. V. Soma

test PSEUDOYIELD_HAPPINESS "45" with the tiny map:

Hm, I don't know - I have seen perhaps more wars, up until turn 480 - but not much more amenity districts

EDIT: Perhaps population can be a limiting factor for the districts that can be built...

turn 500:
    tiny test 2 - t 500.jpg

14. V. Soma

test PSEUDOYIELD_HAPPINESS "45" brought same result...

Perhaps too many IZ districts are built - but in fact I don't think amenity itself will solve things in itself.
    Ai war tactics are just bad - can't use forces very effectively.

I don't know if air units bumb units, for example...
    More concentrated use of arty/navy vs cities could be, and more use of melee when walls are down...

15. Revolutionist_8

Revolutionist_8 Prince

AI builds and uses naval units to conquest!!! :woohoo:

Keep up the good work! :)

glider1, steemroller and Infixo like this.
  16. V. Soma

Yes, certainly there is improvement, I support this mod and Infixo wholeheartedly :)

Infixo likes this.
  17. steemroller

steemroller Chieftain

Interested in your opinion on this: it seems in the games that I've played that there's a considerable "holding back" of troops in cities far away from the action. I wonder if they are not considered in formations because they are built or end up too far away from the fight? Could there be an AI Operation that reinforces combat with a shift of those units toward the action? Thoughts?

18. Dëzaël

Dëzaël Chieftain

New here, but a user of some of the 'Real' mods from before Rise&Fall. I had a break with Civ then, but I'm back with Gathering Storm. I naturally got back to the 'Real' mods I liked, and I'm pleased to have found RST. :)

Only one game with it under my belt, but as a feedback I can already say that AIs better keep up with the pace of the game. Better teching, and also better translation from tech level to actual unit fielding. I like to play quite naval heavy games, and there's a lot more higher tech level ships. Also landing a Colonial Casus Belli is harder.
    I precise I play on Prince difficulty level. I never entered fully into the game yet, and I'm still learning the finer ropes of efficient city building. So no bonuses involved in the better efficiency I observed. I still have the tech lead, and it's still a cakewalk militarily speaking, but no longer I spent a century or two with the only battleship in the world, and I get definitely more pressure from the AIs. Nice work! :thumbsup:

I have been folowing the conversation for some time, and two things catched my attention :
    1)
    I also saw this behavior with vanilla AI. Phoenicia and France were trapped on a peninsula closed by my borders. 3 cities each, separated by a mountain range with two 2 tiles chokepoints, and Paris on one of the chokepoints. Phoenicia DOWed by classical era, took Paris, then I could see Paris in my line of sight kept to zero but never taken back. By medieval era, I launched an emergency to finally put a legion on that tile, and got sight from France. She had a huge number of archers, but no melee units. Phoenicia couldn't approach without being slaughtered. France position was in fact very good, and she could have sallied and wiped out Phoenicia I guess...

I think the problem was upkeep in this case. With only two cities, and without a foe able to kill some units, she couldn't afford more of them, and disbanding at least one was apparently not a considered option. I'm guessing this army composition problem can occur in other cases (maybe the few melee units are deemed necessary elsewhere, etc). I wonder if it is not adressable via modding, like checking army composition and possibly disbanding some of the most owned units to force build others. Maybe a solution like this could get rid of some of the 'AI won't take city' cases.

2)
    Planes.

I play on the largest vanilla map size, normal resources, and since I read here and there AIs have trouble using air units, in my last two games I payed attention to the total number of Aluminium resources on the map. That was 5, and 4.
    Taking 5, that's 10 max plane upkeep on the map. 15 with the +1 policy card. 20 with Victor's +1 ability on each. For a map with 20 players, and helicopters sucking up Alu as well. I didn't pay close attention to that in previous games, but I already found it quite rare, and I'm not so sure it is solely an AI problem here. Though given the last screenshots from @V. Soma the AI is willing to build units it can't possibly pay the upkeep for. (By the way now that's some GDR nonsense! :lol:)

19. DioAurion

DioAurion Warlord

Can't believe I never gave this mod a glance before. Will certainly test it out in my next playthrough. AI+ games are getting too stressful with the endless world wars, though they honestly seem to cripple the AI 10x more often than help them since they're constantly suffering from sieges and pillaged improvements. I look forward to seeing the difference.

Exletrum likes this.
  20. alexu4326

alexu4326 Chieftain

I play this for some days

turn 130 of peace no wars so far ( maybe one suleiman vs scotland)
    but evrewere is peace and friendship i know 10/16 civs and nobody hate me
    dificulty king
    civs that i remeber to be there : england,otomans, america , india ,hungary, poland, france

is that ok ? because in vanilla i get one war declaration agaist me per era .