1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Real Strategy (AI) 1.5.1

Making AI better. One bit at a time.

1. Infixo

Infixo Deity

@alexu4326 Wars depend on diplomacy, military strength, geo-situation, and many other things. There is no parameter „minimum number of wars per era”.
    You can have peace almost all the time and you can have wars and slaughter almost all the time. Anything in-between is ok.

2. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

I play against AI Canada on a duel map, Canada has 15 cities - and makes ca. 1100 tourism/turn in the atomic age - how can he do so much...?
    (OK I play with mods, but still...)

3. Infixo

Infixo Deity

He is just playing well...?
    RST doesn't add any bonus, doesn't change any civ's ability, etc.

Exletrum likes this.
  4. aikido_panda

aikido_panda Chieftain

Hello all. First, great thanks to Infixo - great idea, and a very decent realization! From my point of view, AI has become much smarter and less dependent on just quantity, added by high in-game difficulty.
    Second, I got a question. What exact parameters AI looks at, when choosing a diplomatic victory strategy? Except the number of diplomatic VP?

5. V. Soma

Perhaps I am not expert on how to make much tourism... I have lots of wonders, walls, I have theaters, yet I make 230 tourism...
    Canada also makes 900 culture/turn, I make 210...
    (Again, it may be the many mods I have on...)

6. Infixo

Infixo Deity

- leader's "affinity" to go diplo -> important ealy game
    - current gov, policies and suzerained city states
    - items acquired during the game - each has a flavor that says how much it helps - wonders, great people, beliefs
    - number of diplo points
    - favor per turn

7. aikido_panda

aikido_panda Chieftain

Thank you. And one more question - is it possible to make the AI more predisposed to certain government form, based on victory strategy, era and so on? I've seen in your code, that you tried prevent AI from studying civics related to some governments, but is it the only solution?

8. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Not directly. See below.

The only way I know :) AI will eventually culturvate all civics and choose the government for its liking. I just try to push it into the first one most suitable for a victory by giving hints about civics.
    It is working (to some extent) because AI almost always changes government to the one with more slots once it is available. The only exception I've seen is Theocracy which has such strong bonuses that civs going for religious victory keep it a bit longer.
    So, making it culturvate a specific civic with a gov is an indirect way of getting that gov.

aikido_panda and glider1 like this.
  9. aikido_panda

aikido_panda Chieftain

Thanks again. But I have one more question - how do the pseudoyields, connected with city attack (like PSEUDOYIELD_CITY_BASE) actually work? Do they mean the general AI's desire to declare war and capture the city, even when AI is at peace? Or it's a tactical preference - which city should be attacked first during the war?
    In my games I had situations, when AI had a large army, declared war and then didn't attack any enemy city, basically walking around and dying from cities' and encampments' ranged attacks. Maybe it was because he lacked siege units but I'm not sure. Is there a way to make him take objectives any better?
    I am playing at King/Emperor difficulty if it matters.

10. Infixo

Infixo Deity

There is a post at the begining of the thread that explains that in details.
    They are used to caclulate the value of the city, which is then used as a base for things like what city to capture, how quickly the units will be produced. The desire for war is probably somewhat affected, as one of factors.
    AI certainly attacks the city once it gets its units in close proximity. If you see behavior like you describe, then this could mean:
    - still producing units and e.g. lack of siege units could stop the op as they are needed to capture a walled city
    - still moving to a target city i.e. the target city is not always the closest one
    - not close enough to the target - if the op is not close enough, it will only defend itself and attack enemies’ units
    - unit deadlocked (may happen if there are really many units in the op)
    - too many units were lost and ai is withdrawing and looking for a new target
    You would need to check behavior tree and operations logs to actually find out what happens. Without that, just speculations.
    I would like to know myself :) any ideas?

11. Exletrum

Exletrum Chieftain

So funny, because the usual modification on the AI is better than the one presented by the game developers (Firaxis) I really don't understand why so few people use it.

glider1 and Infixo like this.
  12. alexu4326

alexu4326 Chieftain

After 160 turns of peace i have to ask government diference is not anymore a way to anger the AI ?
    I am with autocracy and all my neighbors have oligarhy but nobody have a negative reputation agaist that.
    Or that diference will be visible betwen marchet republic and monarhy and so on ?

13. Infixo

Infixo Deity

It has 6000+ subs on Steam, so it is not bad. CF downloads will always be much smaller :)
    But spreading the word always helps (e.g. reddit). More users, more feedback, more ideas.

14. Infixo

Infixo Deity

Isn’t it only for Tier3+ govs?

15. Exletrum

Exletrum Chieftain

No, I think that there should be MUCH MORE. At least several tens of millions. Apparently you haven't played much with AI. Do you understand? This is too little. I do not in any way exaggerate, In all seriousness. I can share with the Russian people who do not know about this mode. You will not mind? Only when and which version. I have long wanted to ask a question. Will you update this resource in the future? Or you can say with confidence - At the moment it is fully operational (does not need to be improved at the moment) There is such a system (for the general public) in which it is better to understand everything at once. Apparently, you perceive yourself as a regular developer of modifications, but this completely changes the game! (I am afraid of the inscription "Test version") You should have more followers.Better try to perceive yourself .... as a developer firaxis.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  16. Infixo

Infixo Deity

@Exletrum Thank you for such an encouraging opinion :)

As for my plans. I've been waiting for a patch to be released to make a fine-tuning for the Version 2.0, sometime mid-April most likely.
    After this, I suppose I will be releasing some balancing updates, depending on comments and feedback I will get, also from my own test games. RST is very much about balancing and this takes a lot of time and needs a lot of feedback.

RST is language-independent. There is not a single text that would require translation or anything because it is entirely behind-the-scenes type of mod. So yes, you can definetely recommend it in the Russian community.

glider1 and [to_xp]Gekko like this.
  17. Infixo

Infixo Deity

18. V. Soma

Just a few words on my game I had in the last few days, with the usual many mods:

Duel map with 4 civs, I am Cree, AI: Canada, Germany and USA, smoother immortal level, quick speed (330 turns)

Canada is the big guy. I got 7 cities, Canada got 8 and then another 8 in wars…
    Me and Germany had religion, I have won RV in the industrial era. I played on after that.

I tried to make culture and tourism, but even with many wonders and a healthy number of culture districts, I can make only ca. 200/turn in the endgame, while Canada makes 1100, and the same is with tourism (same rates). So Canada won CV in ca. turn 260.
    Maybe I should have started a war against Canada earlier…

Edit:
    Canada of course leads in tech too: ha has 62, I have 52... so war is not easy :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  19. Infixo

Infixo Deity

20. Tovarish

Tovarish Chieftain

Since you have made best UI mods there is, maybe you have tinkered with the music that plays in the background too? It no longer plays the music native to the civilization, but all kinds of tracks at random. Maybe you could have any idea why that is?