Real Unit and Terrain Data Compiled from Civilopedia

I am a relatively new Civer and found this information incredibly helpful. THANKS SO MUCH for providing it. goodjob:

Great work LoneWolf. I can find almost every answer in your papers.
Yesterday I played a game with my ten year old nephew and he came to me and said the info according upgrades for Impis and Numidian Mercenaries are swaped. Well, I must confess he was right and I didn't noticed it. The version of your papers I downloaded a few weeks ago says Impis upgrades to Musketmen and Numidian Mercenaries to Pikemen. It should be the other way round (at least I thinks so :confused: ). BTW I'm playing C3C 1.22.

LoneWolf, Thank you so much for all of your hard work! I used your file for my very first game of Civ3 2 years ago (and for every game since) and I cannot imagine playing without it! They should have included it with the game!

I recently discovered the Apolyton University Mod, and wanted to make a version of your file for it. Is there a version of your help file in a format other than .PDF that I could update to reflect the Apolyton U. changes and post here?

Thanks,
-Aaron

I was so impressed with LoneWolf's reference paper. :lol: Here's a addendum with some info on the spaceship components that may be helpful. Free free to make it look better if you are inspired.

Enjoy!

jb

---------
LoneWolf5050 said:
Hello, thanks guys for the continued interest in this file. That's very gratifying.

I don't actually have Conquests yet, I've been busy looking after my twin girls born December '02, but I have a bit more time these days and I plan to check out Conquests soon.

However, Alanus, who produced the French version of the file has put together a version for Conquests and I'm just proofreading and tweaking it now. I hope to post it in the next couple days.

So stay tuned! : )

--LW

here is the attachment

Attachments

• Civ 3 Spaceship Components.zip
    251.8 KB · Views: 279
I want to get it, but I want one, or want to know how to compile one for Civ 3 Complete without printing out all three. That is, I would like to know what is different with each one, since each one -PTW and Conqests- builds on the original Civ 3. Therefore, I would need to find out what all PTW adds on in the things related to this guide, then do the same with COnquests, and see which overlaps from all three. Could someone help me out?
Or, preferably, point me to where I can find a file like the one I am requesting?

Great reference. Cossacks cost 90, not 80 shields. I just got C3C, so I was initially bummed that blitz was taken away from the ordinary Cavalry, but in my current game I do not have saltpeter so maybe it's for the best!

There is another c3c reference published called "Civilization Conquest v1.1" (okay, I'm not sure if the .1 was automatically added because I downloaded it twice?). I will echo a request that I made over there. I wish that the images used for the units matched those that show on the city improvement screen. When viewing another civ's cities through espionage, it is not always immediately clear what units they have defending the city.

Without pouring over the two files, one thing that one clearly has going for it that would be an easy addition to this one is putting in the costs (lightbulbs x10, I think) onto the tech tree. Especially useful in diplomacy negotiations.

I am especially psyched to try out the shortcut for switching between cities. Switching between cities in disorder, in particular, should be especially useful.

Thanks,
M@

I was delighted to see these reference files. Years back now, I put together a very similar set of information to help me get a grasp on the scope of this incredible game.

As a Technical Trainer, I developed my own material for class and my learning phase about new equipment was always to collect information and go through the process of getting it down on paper with just a pencil. My favorite resource was a pad of 17"X22" graph paper.

Attached are what I call Relationship Maps for CivIII(vanilla/PTW/Conquest). They helped me go from an overwhelming list of details to some kind of structure to fit them all in. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that one of the big differences between having some information and real knowledge of something was about relationships. Maybe it will be useful to some.

Jan 07, 2009: Consolidate the three versions of Civ3

Feb 01, 2009: Asterisks added to identify units that changed with the CivIII Conquests version. Added mouse over to identify owning civilization and replaced unit for most of the Unique Units.

Mar 19, 2009: Major updates for C3C, minor for PTW

Outstanding Questions: Does the Cruiser update to AEGIS and can workers build Radar Towers in C3C

Attachments

• Relationship Map.pdf
    65.8 KB · Views: 187
I was delighted to see your data file. Years back now, I put together an almost identical set of information to help me get a grasp on the scope of this incredible game.

As a Technical Trainer, I developed my own material for class and my learning phase about new equipment was always to collect information and go thru the process of putting it down on paper.

Attached are what I call Relationship Maps for CivIII (PTW). They helped me go from an overwhelming list of details to some kind of structure to fit them all in. I came to the the conclusion a long time ago that one of the big differences between information and knowledge was about relationships. Maybe it will be useful to some.
As a visual semiotician I'm always interested in ways to display complex knowledge structures. While your arrangement of lists is interesting, it's not apparent to me what meaning you are trying to convey with it. Maybe a brief description of the reasoning behind the specific arrangement would help the relationship "light bulb" come on for others.

The first page of the Relationship Map now includes a few lines of description to help orient the user.

Having spent time over the past week going over this thing, I'm beginning to remember why I haven't look at it in several years; I can't help but tweak it every time I look at!

In the end it is still an ongoing learning process which helps me get all the relationships in my head and its just good to see everything in one shot and review every so often.

Having spent the last couple weeks trying to get a handle on all the great information that is available on the CivFanatics site I'm sure I could go thru some more edits. I Welcome any comments, whether its to update, file away or pitch the thing.

The source data is in a CAD application that has export possibilities.

As a visual semiotician I'm always interested in ways to display complex knowledge structures.

"Semiotician", I have to admit I had to look it up. I'm curious how you define it? Especially the visual part. As an electronics technician and tech trainer I was often disgusted with engineering schematics and their layout. I spent a lot of time simplifying them into signal flow drawings. The other problem I had with them, and maps as well, is information overload. Am I anywhere near what visual semioticians deal with?

A version updated to include Conquests would be very helpful.

I'm a long way from exhausting the enjoyment I get from CivIII Gold (from what I gather it is PTW) Are there any statistics for what versions members are playing? I've tried the CivIV demo and didn't see anything that would draw me away from CivIII.

I must admit to a bit of curiosity about the politics of the different versions?:crazyeye:

This and the official civ3 site both have info on Conquests. Without going into a lot of detail, basically if you really enjoy civ3 than Conquests is the best Civ3 gets. Almost all info and downloads for the past couple years have been geared for Conquests which is the only expansion you need as it includes ptw, the only other expansion.

"Semiotician", I have to admit I had to look it up. I'm curious how you define it? Especially the visual part. As an electronics technician and tech trainer I was often disgusted with engineering schematics and their layout. I spent a lot of time simplifying them into signal flow drawings. The other problem I had with them, and maps as well, is information overload. Am I anywhere near what visual semioticians deal with?
Yes, that's the semiotics of your field. I'm sure you know Tufte (Visual Display of Quantitative Information, etc.). Semiotics is the analysis of symbol systems, and therefore a set of techniques that can be applied to any field where knowledge is conveyed. Umberto Eco, probably the most well known semiotician apart from Marshall McLuhan, says that "semiotics is in principle the discipline studying everything which can be used in order to lie." My two primary interests are analysis of educational content in visual media that is not labeled "educational" (such as advertising), and the application of semiotic analysis from fields like architecture, cinema, performance, etc. to the design of virtual environments.
I'm a long way from exhausting the enjoyment I get from CivIII Gold (from what I gather it is PTW) Are there any statistics for what versions members are playing? I've tried the CivIV demo and didn't see anything that would draw me away from CivIII.

I must admit to a bit of curiosity about the politics of the different versions?:crazyeye:
All I know is that the vast majority of the creative work discussed & posted in Civ3 Creation & Customization forum is for Conquests/Complete. All PTW mods/scenarios can be played in it. The game has features/content lacking in other versions. The editor is the fullest version.

A version updated to include Conquests would be very helpful.

Fiddlin Nero: I'm a long way from exhausting the enjoyment I get from CivIII Gold (from what I gather it is PTW) Are there any statistics for what versions members are playing? I've tried the CivIV demo and didn't see anything that would draw me away from CivIII.

Thinking some more about updates for Conquests: I could do it if someone wants to provide the additional Units, City Improvements and Wonders, etc.

Top Bottom