1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Really Boring... or just me?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Zaimejs, Nov 11, 2016.

1. idjit

idjit Chieftain

This. Every game pretty much plays out the same for me policy-wise. conscription, builder buffs, professional army, charismatic leader, meritocracy, rationalism and cryptography. Sometimes I pop the gold one for buildings and make 500gpt then swap it back out. These policy cards are just so strong compared to the other ones I've just found no reason to use the other ones, like, ever.

2. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

The game definitely needs some more balancing, but I'm still enjoying it. And while a lot of stuff is the same each time (I tend to follow the same government paths, as I really don't like the military policy cards much), there's still small differences that make me actually think. And because my science/culture rates do change between games, I have had to change things up. Getting the +100% science buildings bonus doesn't help when you don't have any universities built. I'm not as fanatical about it as I was on release, but the fact that I had to force myself to quit playing to be able to go to bed last night at least tells me it still has some of that old appeal of "alright, I get my new government in one more turn, so I'll just play to then", and then you realize that the wonder you're building is almost done, and then you're close to the next jump in techs, and then...

3. Roxlimn

Roxlimn Deity

You're never switching out Conscription for +100% production buffs? Why? Manveuver and Chivalry are both very strong. I only pop in Professional Army when I'm mass-upgrading. I don't stay in it very long at all. I don't know that I've ever used Cryptography, and if I'm using Meritocracy, I'm also usually using either Raj or Trade Confederation. Maybe the ones you prefer aren't so strong so much as you haven't figured out how to use the other ones and are too lazy to try?

4. whyidie

whyidie Emperor

Bumped up to Emperor and quick speed and things are clicking. Usually takes longer for me to progress up the levels and I typically toy around with Epic and never played at quick in the past, but for this iteration it seems its just what I needed.

Got triple DOW'd on my second emperor roll. Monty should have taken at least 1 of my cities, had it down to 0 health multiple times with plenty of troops to hold it but each time he withdrew only to attack again.

Maybe he is sending a message. Or maybe he doesn't want the warmonger penalties. Its a nice city...not sure why no one wants it.

Either way bumping up the difficulty and the game speed has things clicking along again, getting better at district placement, haven't even attempted to wade into religion yet, but the AI being more of a threat and things moving a little quicker have me locked in again.

5. Moraiwe

Moraiwe Warlord

I don't know if I could say I'm bored, but I'm certainly not satisfied. I never feel like my empire has any unique flavour to it, and I think that's due to the frequent policies. When you are able to change polices so often, without any drawback to doing so, you don't end up crafting an empire with any 'theme' to it. It's just an empire that can shift gears to any type of focus. The people don't care that the government has changed society from a faith-based one to a money-is-God one?

I feel like here needs to be drawbacks to switching polices. A period of reduced happiness... something to make you consider not immediately switching to the best one at hand. Getting the timing right of a government/policy change should matter. Right now, it doesn't have enough I impact if I get it wrong and it's only a few turns away from being fixed.

6. Usama84

Usama84 Chieftain

This will be the first civ (maybe civ 5 was like that I dunno, never really played it) that really sucks out of the box. Let's face it, it needs some heavy mods and a major expansion pack to salvage any dignity for this franchise. How can they make a game with an AI that can not seem to take a city if their lives depended on it. There is no strategy here, just a bunch of flopping around. Very disappointed that I spent money upgrading my computer for this game. I am hoping the mods can save it though!

Chinese American and Zuizgond like this.
  7. Acken

Acken Deity

It's clearly lacking in polish. I've just moved to other games while it gets fixed I hope.

8. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

I agree that the policies are a bit too flexible. Maybe each time you research a new Civic, you can only change one policy card for free, not all of them? (With the exception of when you research and switch to a new government.)

9. juanpavo

juanpavo Warlord

Just curious, what games? Looking for a diversion also...

10. Roxlimn

Roxlimn Deity

Not the first. Civ 4 was worse out of the box. Not sure if I'd call that sucking.

Horizons likes this.
  11. Acken

Acken Deity

I'm currently playing Tyranny

12. Arkatakor

Arkatakor King

I find myself taking more and more breaks from Civ VI. Have not played in a few days and don't really miss it. The game makes me feel like a beta tester and it does, at times feel boring though I can't put my finger on the exact reason as to why. Maybe its the many small annoyances that turn me off, or it could be the crippled AI. Not sure really.

I think I will give Civ VI a proper break until its been patched and go back to playing Civ V with my full collection of mods.

Horizons likes this.
  13. WankIT

WankIT Chieftain

Spend more time waiting for turns, then playing.
    These days, its turn 500, huge map, lots of civs, over a minute per turn, and not much time playing.

Fierro likes this.
  14. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

SP is unbearable, but it would be more interesting with just a couple of simple fixes. (AI city building and unit upgrades.) If those two issues were fixed, I'd be playing it a lot more, on the understanding that proper rebalancing and fixes were underway and take a bit longer to arrive.

It seems that the pre-release demos, where the player was using tanks and infantry against the enemy's knights and crossbowmen, was actually a realistic representation of the game's AI!

15. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Sorry to here your disappointments.
    It's working fine for me with ludicrous-size GEM.
    Civ's are fighting each other, taking each others cities, trading, sending out missionaries and apostles, building wonders, deploying spies, upgrading units and exploring the entire (230 x 115) "globe".

16. Usama84

Usama84 Chieftain

Ferocitus what difficulty level are you playing? Maybe it is just my game, I have not played it enough I guess...

17. rezaf

rezaf Warlord

What joy does it bring to you guys to switch to higher difficulties?
    The AI already builds laughtably huge armies on Prince - it even throws in some corps and armies eventually - but then is unable to do much with them.
    Because the AI cannot play with the limitations introduced to the system in Civ5, you have an AI with a throng of units, what's the fun in playing in even higher difficulties so the AI has even more units causing more traffic jams and longer turn-times?

Chinese American and Arkatakor like this.
  18. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

For me it is the journey and not the end. I can win without following the perfect build, I can do it in 100 different ways and even if I did not win, I enjoyed playing differently.
    Sometimes I feel there is a lot of talk about perfection and efficiency which is good and has its place but if you play that way you will get bored faster.
    Civ IV was not a pleasure for me and I went to the level of throwing out the disks and only started playing again at BNW.
    Personally I am not bored and still have so much I have not played or done. Things are annoying but the first patch is showing commitment and that is great.

c4c6, racha, Ferocitus and 1 other person like this.
  19. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

First Prince to test that it loads and works for a few moves, then King to Emperor.
    They all work without any glitches for me.

20. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

Nicely put!
    For me the vanilla version is just a framework on which I get to assemble settings, durations
    and mods for actual game I want to play.

c4c6 likes this.