Recent Civ5 Previews

I approve of most of these changes :thumbsup:

I'm sad about a few things, but hope that they've been compensated for:

Religions: they were an interesting dimension in CIV.
One hexagon/expansion: makes it seem like it takes way longer to expand your borders significantly, on the other hand, expansions may be more frequent.
No tech trading: I do that all the time! It's how I advance quickly
One unit/tile: that makes my massive attack strategy obsolete.

Note: the German site has the bad news, the first and last sites made it look like we, the members of CFC, have been noticed :D But we must remember: German humor is no laughing matter. I wonder what would happen if they had an Austrian site talking about this.

i tried wikipedia-ing some of the leaders id never heard of (wu zetein, oba nobunaga, harun al-rashid). couldn't find wu.

I never really liked how tech trading worked in Civ 4. You are constantly checking when a tech becomes available for trade and you try and trade it to everyone else to maximize profits. A assume the new system will simply give significant bonuses to civs that don't have a tech another one has. Similar to how Imperialism II works (The company and devs for that game got absorbed into Firxas).
One of the biggest improvements from Civ III to IV was reduced micromanagement. You don't have to constantly check your cities for (un)happy citizen balance, adjust research and tile work to correct for overflow, or tweaking that gold amount in diplomacy to get the best trade offer.

Therefore, I think that disable tech trading is a good step in that same direction. Not only can it be abusive, but its very time consuming to check every time you have a new tech. It seems that diplomacy will be much more advanced, and tech trading won't be the backbone of diplomacy.

What bothers me is the increased city size (I originally assumed it would be 2 hex rings not 3) and unit moves. It means there will be much bigger maps, and much higher computer requirements.

I'm really excited about the new changes. Not sure if they mean one unit only per hex in the actual city or everywhere. Either way that is major change from before. I was never a big fan of religions in the game so im ok with that. As far as adding the extra squares for the cities, I LOVE THAT!! One of my favorite parts of Civ is watching ur cities build up to become massive. I think it really highlights the effects of your early decisions on how u build ur city. Those universities, Wonders, and other special buildings were really have even more impact with even bigger cities. Never was a big fan of tech trading, but I didn't play much SP, mostly 1 v 1 mutliplayer.

I guess the tech alliances might make up for it, but still, not being able to trade techs should slow techs down quite a bit, and make things really hard if you fall too far behind. In 3 and 4, you can make up for being behind in tech by trading things they don't have, or if you bee-line somewhere, you can trade a bit and get everyone to around the same tech level when they have the same number of techs, just different ones.

I love the new changes to combat. A lot of veterans are going to take time getting used to it of course, since up until now it's been mostly making huge stacks, and turtling in cities when you defend. Now you can't turtle in cities, and the battles will be front line fighting. This will increase the strategic importance of forts and geography, as well as make individual units movements much more important. I honestly can't wait. I was really getting sick of stack warfare.

Also I am pretty sure to all of the people complaining and whining about one unit per square thing, you'll be able to combine units, and strengthen each unit per square accordingly. So it's not as bad as you think.

Liked these last news, but I just can't see how amphibious attack will procede.

I honestly don't know what to make of all these changes, guess i won't until i actually play the game. I'm of the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' line of thinking, yet have enjoyed playing each new civ game. Well, i've traded in civ rev, as i found it was more like 'civ lite' or 'civ for kids'. Apart from that, all the others have been great.

One thing that will probably happen is that the game will be a bit more fun to play. I remember the days of spending hours cleaning up pollution and moving workers, turn after turn. Civ 4 certainly sorted out some of the micromanagement. I don't like the idea of losing tech trading tho, seems stupid that you can't teach another civ a tech. Isn't civ supposed to be like a simulation of earth? Surely making the game more realistic, not less, would be the way to go. I hope they're not dropping religions too, again this has been an important part of human history.

I have to say, from the screenshots i am disappointed with the graphics. I know a lot of you don't care about eye candy, but i'd like to have the option to make the game look stunning. To be honest it doesn't look much better than civ 4, it would have been nice to see a better looking game.

Can't wait to actually play it, then i can make my mind up. To be honest i trust sid meier to make a great game, and am sure the changes will be for the best.

Who said "Call To Power" :mischief: ?

My thoughts on the revealed leaders (okay, rumored. They haven't been revealed.)

Leaders/Civs
German leader: Otto von Bismark
Makes sense, I'm hoping he gets paired with someone better than Freddy.

China leader: Wu Zeitein/Zetein
Lame. I'm sorry but... lame. We get a Tang, but not Taizong? We get his -wife- instead? ******ed decision, Firaxis. Makes me really hope these -are- just unfounded rumors.

American leader: Washington
Always a good pick. Here's hoping we get a fresh face paired with him. I'd love to see a cold war president like JFK as the second leader.

Japanese leader: Oba Nobunaga
Honestly? This bugged me at first, but... he works better than Tokugawa does, if you think about it.

Arabian leader: Harun al-Rashid
Perfect choice. If Saladin comes back as a second leader, I just hope they give England Richard the Lionheart, that'd be epic.

Other confirmed leaders mentioned in the article (Genghis Khan, Caesar, Napoleon, Gandhi)

No surprises here. Let's just hope Louie doesn't come back for France. DeGaulle? Yeah he can return, but give Old France someone better. I -am- bummed to hear Gandhi is returning, based on the trailer having a quote from him I was hoping we'd get Nehru instead. Y'know, the ACTUAL LEADER. I'm sorry but... Gandhi. I know it's Civ tradition, but it makes no sense.

City states:
These are small, AI-controlled civilizations. They never grow big and doesn´t desire to win. The player must choose if he is to be friendly, indifferent or hostile towards a city state. The attitude you has towards a particular city state will have a big effect on diplomacy. If for example your units is approaching a city state that have friendly relations with another civilization, he will warn you, and if you ignore them, there will be consequences.

Barbarians:
The barbarians originate from a barbarian city and will get more advanced units later in the game. You need to wipe out all barbarian cities to get rid of the barbarian hordes.

I like it. As a huge fan of Roman history, this will give me more roleplay value when I can decide to be hostile to the Gauls and begrudgingly peaceful to some Germanic tribes. Nice touch.

City expansion:
Borders does no longer expand in large areas, but one hex at a time. Remote hexes like marshes, forests and mountains will be harder to acquire.

Economy:
You can invest money in your neighboring hexagons, for example trying to acquire an important resource before your opponent.

I also like it. People seem to keep assuming that this game will be just like Civ4 with the changes listed here. I don't see this system being exactly the same, and most likely this will feel natural and make sense gameplay wise.

Research:
You can also sign a research-deal with another civilization. This way, both civs will cooperate to reach the new technology and both will gain it when the discovery is made. This was included to encourage cooperation between civilizations.

And reduce tech trading, which I feel is a broken aspect of Civ4.

Diplomacy:
The civilizations will have an all-new advanced AI. All opponents will have fixed characteristics. Based on this unique personality, every AI-player will have their own agenda, which the AI will use to plan how to best play to win the game. But there will also be a certain randomness to avoid having the AI be too easy to predict.

Ah, good. The AI's are becoming too predictable, but I feel it's still important that they have personalities. I know people with very pronounced personalities, but that doesn't make them predictable.

Tech trading is abolished.

YES!~ :thanx:

Alliances give special boni (per example the possibility for a quicker research of a technology)

Makes sense.

Cut-out of religions as known in Civ 4 confirmed

I like the religious aspect added to Civ4, but past the Noble difficulty, it only served a few purposes: Align with most powerful religious group locally, take over religious capital cities for increased revenue, and generally don't find a religion in the beginning as it will 90% of the time make the game harder.

Cities can grow bigger than in former versions of the civ series as they there are 3 tiles for a city in every direction to be worked on.

Not much to say. I like it.
New troops must leave a city at once, as there is only one unit per tile

Make sense, as cities will probably be acting as their own stationary units with ranged attacks and higher than normal health. It's been indicated that units won't necessarily kill or die in combat, but do damage and receive damage, correct?

Distance fighters (archers, artillery and so on) can shoot over the front units, lakes and other tiles

Again, makes sense in wanting to promote "fronts" in warfare. I can see people complaining about this not being realistic, but man... it can't be any worse than how bad people complained when we went from Civ3 to Civ4. Some people...

German leader: Otto von Bismark
China leader: Wu Zeitein/Zetein
American leader: Washington
Japanese leader: Oba Nobunaga
Arabian leader: Harun al-Rashid
Other confirmed leaders mentioned in the article (Genghis Khan, Caesar, Napoleon, Gandhi)

Wu Zetian? (Spelled wrong in original post, by the way). I find female leaders interesting, but Qin Shi Huang is who I think of when I think of the Chinese Leader. I know most today would say Mao Zedong, but Qin Shi Huang is Caesar to China's Rome.

Oba Nobunaga actually makes more sense in this aspect. Approve.

Harun al-Rashid - a man from the time of Arabian intellect, prosperity, and great cultural providence. An interesting leader, and does well to showcase the diversity of Arabic history.

Others seem obvious and without complaint.

Basic military units move two tiles in combat instead of one.

Ah, I assumed this. Again, makes sense with a cap on the number of units and more strategic play beyond Stacks of Dooooooooom!

Overall, a thumbs up so far. :goodjob:

1 unit per tile? No more massive army stacks? As I see it the map still looks pretty small in it's scale, so archers shooting arrow a few clicks into whatever direction just seems silly to me but I guess we best wait for results. Maybe it will be better than I think. The new border idea seems interesting and well, we will just have to wait and see how this evolves.

At first one unit per tile sounds like crap, but if you can improve them or combine to create like armies maybe it won't be bad. Otherwise wtf? paratroopers and fast units like tanks or cavalry will just rush by and cap the cities

Just like chess. One unit per tile, and with the limited pieces, you protect your king/attack your opponent.

Top Bottom