Regarding cultural expansion (the next hex)

lymond

Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!)
Hall of Fame Staff
One thing that has been bothering me a little is how the city expands to a new hex each time its culture bucket is filled. Is there any rhyme or reason to this? I can open the city screen and see one or two hexes with purple outlines indicating that the one of them will be the next hex taken. Why show 2 hexes at a time though? Is there any way to designate which hex your city will receive?

The main reason I ask is that the city doesn't always expand in the direction I want it too. Now it does seem to logical expand first to take any adjacent resources. However, sometimes I want to expand in a direction that grabs a resources a couple of tiles out. Or I just want to expand in the direction on...say...my other cities to close or seal the borders. It really peeves me when a all a coastal city does is expand to more lame coastal tiles.

Any way to control this expansion at all? I know about buying tiles and I do that sometimes, but gold is really needed elsewhere.

bump...anyone have an understanding of this?

............freakin' severs :)

You can't designate the next claimed tile. The mechanic for doing what you want is tile purchasing, but as you said you have to weigh that against other uses of gold.

If you increase culture in the city or find ways to reduce the culture cost of new tiles (e.g. Angkor Wat wonder), your city will grab tiles faster and thus might get to the one you want faster.

Alternatively, you could increase gold income or use various means to reduce gold cost of buying tiles (e.g. Monarchy policy).

thanks...that's what I was starting to assume. I don't like how it predicts some of the next tiles to grab. Sounds like Wat is my wonder.

if you want a tile eg a horse or something u can just buy it, usually its pretty cheap like 50-120g

Top Bottom