Regions of a TSL Earth Map That You'd Want to Be 'Crowded'

TahamiTsunami

Prince
Obviously this will depend on the size of the map and what you'd consider to be crowded. For me, it would be 3 civs that are so close that there's no room at all for another city between them (or perhaps with some room for a city in between). An example of this would be the placement of England, France, and the Netherlands on the YNAMP Giant Earth map.

Another thing to consider is that, for those of you that don't care of TSL maps anyway, you can pick the regions that are only coincidentally filled by the civs that you really want. For example, if you aren't aiming to fill up Mesopotamia/The Middle East, you could list that region simply because you want Sumeria, Babylonia, and Assyria.

With all that in mind, which regions would you like to see get crowded like Europe and the Middle East in TSL maps? Here are my picks:

* West Africa: Mali is a mandatory start, but I'd like to see the coast get crowded with the Ashanti, Benin, Dahomey, etc.

*Southeast Asia: I'd say that the Khmer should be surrounded by Burma, Vietnam, and the return of Siam. Note that Indonesia and the possible inclusion of the Philippines wouldn't really crowd it up since there's some breathing room by being further out on islands.

*Mesoamerica: There's more to be shown about Mesoamerican history than just the Maya and Aztecs. They could be joined by the Purepecha, Mixtec, Zapotecs, etc. If that happened, I'd hope that Mexico would follow Japan in being made much larger by modders to make room for them. Mexico already feels tight even with just the Aztecs!

*Northeast America: The colonial America and Canada could use some native neighbors with the return of the Iroquois and some possible new inclusions like the Powhatan, Wabanaki, Wampanoag, etc.

Some other thoughts:

Northeast Africa could be crowded but I'm not quite sure how close Ethiopia would be to the current Nubia and Egypt or to new options like Buganda or the Swahili.

Some more Andean options would be cool but I'm not sure how many of them would be decent options after the Inca.

More native civs would be great as well though the question would be how close those options would be to each other.

Last edited:
1. Mesoamerica/Caribbean/Central America, mainly because I think the Mayans are a very high need (base game civ, imo). And as I counted Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean as the same geography region, I would say that even only the Aztecs and Mayans would leave the region a bit empty, that said, in a perfect world, I would include Taino to fill the Caribbean region in an unlikely fourth expansion. There was still love left for the Zapotecs and perhaps even a Mexican civ in an even more unlikely fifth expansion.

2. East Africa, the whole continent of Africa needs more love. This region is in second place mainly because of Ethiopia, but not only because of it, Mandagascar and Swahili would be good choices to increase representation of this region. Africa has so few civs compared to its wide diversity of options.

3. West Africa, I agree that this region could be better represented, there are many good options here. I can start by quoting Morocco, but there is also Ashanti, Benin, Dahomey. It is simply disproportionate that Africa has only 5 civs out of a total of 42 civs, while all of West Africa has only two (Mali and Kongo).

4.Southwestern North America, in fact, I think all of North America needs more representation, I don't have much knowledge about North American native civilizations, but I know there are a lot of options here. And indeed, Southwestern North America is practically empty, I would include Najavo to start with.

5. Ancient Mesopotamia, here is mainly because of Babylon, Assyria is also a good choice. I think this region would be half empty without another civilization of the ancient era.

6. North of South America, same explanation as North America, I'm glad South America has three civs, but I still think this needs more love. Even if the Incas get a bit there, I think the northern portion of South America is empty, and although I prefer Argentina, but when it comes to TSL, Colombia has an advantage here.

7. Southeast Asia, finally, here is a region that I agree that it can have more love. Either Vietnam or Siam would be my choices here for a third expansion.

As you can see, I have the impression that the Americas and Africa are the most underrated continents in the civs game series, it's a shame because of the wide variety of options there are.

Central Asia (Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tatarstan, Turkistan) should haves omebody.
I was always proposer of Timurids, it would get combo for simultaneously deconstructing
- 'Uzbekistan and friends is empty savage steppe' (its ancient seat of civilizations)
- 'Timurid empire is savage barbaric nomadic civ' (it was probably the last large Islamic outburst of science and very flourishing period of culture )
- 'Timurids is one man civ (you could as well put Shakh Rukh as leader and he'd fulfill all Great Emperor criteria)

Other good proposals are Sogdiana, Bactria, Kara Khanids, Kushans...

Top Bottom