• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Reinventing the wheel

So America gets no bonuses until late Renaissance? Not going to happen, bad for gameplay.

On the contrary, very good for gameplay, adds more variety. The main reason the late game is boring, is that no Civ feels 'special' by then as 95% of unique stuff has been used already. Sure, later UA/UU/UB should be more powerful than early ones, but so what?
Makes for an interesting "come back from behind" game.

On the contrary, very good for gameplay, adds more variety. The main reason the late game is boring, is that no Civ feels 'special' by then as 95% of unique stuff has been used already. Sure, later UA/UU/UB should be more powerful than early ones, but so what?

I think I follow you on that gameplay model - I especially like the idea of an American carrier UU - but I think people have shorter attention spans so they need something to bite their teeth into right away, whether it be unit-, building-, or ability-related.

It's mainly a matter of surviving until then. Then you can whip 'em.

Regarding Mongolia's proposed UA, "Assimilation" or "Khaganates": Mongolia could potentially have 21 other UUs, UBs, and UIs. Delicious. :crazyeye:

I was thinking the other day and would a UA that doubles the unhappiness of capturing a city for an AI if they capture one of your cities.

The Netherlands

UA: East India Company: Luxury resources give 50% more :c5happy: happiness. Cargo Ships can establish trade routes 40% further away

UU: Sea Beggar (unmodified, good as it is)

UI: Polder: Can be built on any tile with 2 adjacent river tiles, and on coastal tiles that have at least one bordering land tile, and at least 2 tiles away from an ocean tile.

The UA really needs a change to match the upcoming trade route system in BNW, and was overall just really weak as it was. The Polder I suggested more matches what is trademark for the Netherlands today, and provided that you have a good enough coastline, you will always be able to take advantage of it. Marshes and Flood Plains are just too rare in a randomly generated map for you fully be able to take advantage of this fantastic improvement as it is now.

The Netherlands

UA: East India Company: Luxury resources give 50% more happiness. Cargo Ships can establish trade routes 40% further away

UU: Sea Beggar (unmodified, good as it is)

UI: Polder: Can be built on any tile with 2 adjacent river tiles, and on coastal tiles that have at least one bordering land tile, and at least 2 tiles away from an ocean tile.

The UA really needs a change to match the upcoming trade route system in BNW, and was overall just really weak as it was. The Polder I suggested more matches what is trademark for the Netherlands today, and provided that you have a good enough coastline, you will always be able to take advantage of it. Marshes and Flood Plains are just to rare in a randomly generated map for you fully be able to take advantage of this fantastic improvement as it is now.

Netherlands have a Marsh bias. and if you would be allowed to place as amny Polers as you want you would become too powerful (as you would end up growing too big)

Well, they have a Grassland bias. There is no marsh bias, so they put the Dutch where marshes might spawn. Of course I don't quite understand why they can't have a marsh bias since the Americans get a river bias.

That marsh bias is seriously broken if so.

You don't often get many marshes in your capital, but quite often they are in locations where you could settle later cities. And because the automatic border expansion places a really low priority on expanding to Marshes, they are usually still available later in the game, and you can just buy them. And even if you piss off your neighbor by doing that, Marshes make an excellent defensive buffer :D

You don't often get many marshes in your capital, but quite often they are in locations where you could settle later cities. And because the automatic border expansion places a really low priority on expanding to Marshes, they are usually still available later in the game, and you can just buy them. And even if you piss off your neighbor by doing that, Marshes make an excellent defensive buffer :D

I can confirm that, as I happened to stumble across the largest single marsh I have ever seen just outside my capital, on a game I started just after my post. But I think Polders still should be more accessible, as marshes still remain pretty rare.

I think the Netherlands really need a rework, currently they are terribly boring to play as and their UA only covers one subject in Dutch history, the VOC.

The Netherlands
Tolerance: 4 :c5science: and 2 :c5happy: in every city with foreign culture in it.

Spoiler :
This would still encourage the player to play as a colonial bastard as you'd want to settle near other Civilizations so you can benefit from your UA. But it would represent more of the history of the Netherlands.

I like the idea of improving coastal and lake tiles into polders. The Seabeggar should stay, maybe with an extra gold bonus when attacking cargo ships.

I think the Netherlands really need a rework, currently they are terribly boring to play as and their UA only covers one subject in Dutch history, the VOC.

The Netherlands
Tolerance: 4 :c5science: and 2 :c5happy: in every city with foreign culture in it.

Spoiler :
This would still encourage the player to play as a colonial bastard as you'd want to settle near other Civilizations so you can benefit from your UA. But it would represent more of the history of the Netherlands.

I like the idea of improving coastal and lake tiles into polders. The Seabeggar should stay, maybe with an extra gold bonus when attacking cargo ships.

It's a great idea, but unlike in Civ4, I doubt we'll ever have a system where we can have population points having different nationalities (it's the only thing still lacking IMHO). Maybe they can benefit from the stronger tourism of other Civs?

Aussie.

UA: Lion of the North
If capturing any trade unit, gain gold 15x the amount it would have produced for that person in a turn. (So if it produced 10 gold for someone, it would give you 150 gold) Melee and Gunpowder units may move after attacking.

UU: Hakkapeliitta
Replaces Calvary. 36 STR instead of 34. Attacks at "range" instead of normal melee. Can not take city's. Slightly more expensive. (Not this attack is a melee attack still, so gains normal promotions.)

UB: Meadhall
Replaces Amphitheater. Gives 4 Culture and 1 artist slot along with 1 happiness. Costs the same.

While I do like the new UA (it represents 17th century Sweden more than modern, which all of Sweden's units are based in), I dislike the removal of Caroleans. The Meadhall isn't that all important to replace Europe's at the time most effective soldiers. I'd say keep the Caroleans, but maybe give them an additional promotion that mirrors their real life capacities, like the Intimidating Foe promotion (enemy units are 10% weaker facing them) that the African Forest Elephant and the Maori Warriors have.
Also, can you explain the Hakkapeliitta ranged melee attack, please? Not sure how that would work. :crazyeye:

It's a great idea, but unlike in Civ4, I doubt we'll ever have a system where we can have population points having different nationalities (it's the only thing still lacking IMHO). Maybe they can benefit from the stronger tourism of other Civs?

Aussie.

I thought BNW was going to add culture pressure and city flipping?

While I do like the new UA (it represents 17th century Sweden more than modern, which all of Sweden's units are based in), I dislike the removal of Caroleans. The Meadhall isn't that all important to replace Europe's at the time most effective soldiers. I'd say keep the Caroleans, but maybe give them an additional promotion that mirrors their real life capacities, like the Intimidating Foe promotion (enemy units are 10% weaker facing them) that the African Forest Elephant and the Maori Warriors have.
Also, can you explain the Hakkapeliitta ranged melee attack, please? Not sure how that would work. :crazyeye:

It would be like the Zulu impi ranged attack, except it uses the melee str to calc it. That's why It can not take cities,

If CiV was reinventing the wheel the biggest thing that should be changed is changing out Gandhi as the leader of India. He has been leader of India in all previous Civilization series but that has never been historically accurate. Contrary to popular belief Gandhi never actually held an official Political office or title. He was not a President nor a prime minister. Mohandis Gandhi was a political activist and possibly the leader in the spirit of modern India but was never an actual leader. Gandhi makes a strong representation of India in the game but there are certainly other options.

India has an amazingly rich history spanning 5000 years including the reigns of countless Emperors, Kings, Queens, and Princes (Rajas).

A perfect alternative leader could be Emperor Ashoka the Great who ruled over the entire Indian subcontinent from 269 BC to 232 BC and expanded his mighty empire into central Asia. Ashoka commanded thousands of Elephant archers to crush rival kingdoms. After one particularly bloody battle he renounced violence and took up Buddhism. He was also known to have built roads, towns, cities, temples, reformed the legal system, and sent missionaries all over the world. His seal the "Wheel of Righteousness" remains the symbol of India to the present day.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom