[Release] Carthage Preview 4

Quintillus

Archiving Civ3 Content
Supporter
The C7 team has released the fourth preview of the "Carthage" milestone. This is a general enhancement over the "Babylon" release, and recommended for all newcomers.

You can download it here.

This is a smaller monthly release, and focuses on bug fixes, especially eliminating zombies now that Halloween is in the past. But it does include one new feature.

Changes:
  • The AI will now attempt to take out nearby barbarian camps
  • The game will no longer crash due to failing to remove zombie units from tiles after combat
  • Cities with negative food growth will now shrink in size
  • The credits formatting has been significantly improved
  • Custom scenario graphics are now loaded for Civ3 scenarios/saves
  • Cities and barbarian camps that only border water through a corner (vertex) connection can now build ships
Media files from Civilization III are still required in this milestone.

With the number of bugs reduced, the next release is likely to focus on adding support for community city graphics (in-progress, but requires a code update to support non-vanilla-size PCX files) and save/load functionality (design in progress).

----

As always, new contributors are welcome, but developers especially are needed; all the changes in this release were made by Quintillus, which is not a good thing. Progress goes more quickly with multiple contributors, and if Quintillus is distracted by other things such as football season, nice fall weather, or updates to his editor, progress could slow even more without new or returning contributors.

We're also curious if anyone can report back on the experience running on Mac, either Intel or Apple Silicon. In particular, whether "New Game" works on Intel Macs, and whether C7 runs at all on Apple Silicon Macs. We could really use help in this area since Puppeteer, our resident Mac user, is on hiatus, and none of the development team (including Puppeteer) owns an Apple Silicon Mac.

I suspect that I will need a new computer to run this, as I am running Windows XP on a 32-bit processor.

Any plans to have a zoom-in option? ^^

1670455629650.png

So glad to hear this is still in the works!!! I have a few more ideas for the new release, and I also know that this project is short staffed so do what you want with these haha. I would love to help where I can, although I don't have a lot of experience programming, mainly C#. Here's an idea I had while working on my WWII scenario:

Unit tags: create and attach a tag to a unit, and have two drop downs that allow you to chose another tag that this tag would be weak and strong against, and maybe add a percentage on the side of that. For instance, in my WWII scenario finding a good place for anti tank infantry such as the bazooka or panzershrek is difficult. But if you could add the tag "anti tank" saying that they are strong against tanks, with a 25% bonus, and weak against infantry with a 25% weakness value. Then on tanks add a tag "tank" and say that tanks are weak against "anti tank" with a weakness value of 25%. Heres a little photoshop example of what the UI might look like

Attachments

• Tags for civ 3.png
    Tags for civ 3.png
    709.4 KB · Views: 48
I suspect that I will need a new computer to run this, as I am running Windows XP on a 32-bit processor.
While we do have an option to make a 32-bit Windows version without too much difficulty (and I've been running it in 32-bit mode during development a fair amount), unfortunately it is going to require at least Windows 7, IIRC. I think I'm the only developer who has actually run it on lower than 10, running it on 8.1, but it should work on Seven from what I know.
Any plans to have a zoom-in option? ^^

View attachment 647015
It does support zooming in, to an arbitrary level (rather than just one or two set levels), but it is limited by the graphics only being Civ3-resolution (for now).
So glad to hear this is still in the works!!! I have a few more ideas for the new release, and I also know that this project is short staffed so do what you want with these haha. I would love to help where I can, although I don't have a lot of experience programming, mainly C#. Here's an idea I had while working on my WWII scenario:

Unit tags: create and attach a tag to a unit, and have two drop downs that allow you to chose another tag that this tag would be weak and strong against, and maybe add a percentage on the side of that. For instance, in my WWII scenario finding a good place for anti tank infantry such as the bazooka or panzershrek is difficult. But if you could add the tag "anti tank" saying that they are strong against tanks, with a 25% bonus, and weak against infantry with a 25% weakness value. Then on tanks add a tag "tank" and say that tanks are weak against "anti tank" with a weakness value of 25%. Heres a little photoshop example of what the UI might look like
Well, as it turns out, the project is written in C#. We are indeed short-staffed... I was the last developer continuing to work on it regularly for the longest, but (perhaps related to starting a new job) eventually burned out around early November. As anyone who's followed my editor knows, I tend to come back around to my projects sooner or later, but things have been quiet lately, and I'm not yet feeling the pull to jump back in (I'm only just returning to the forums after a few weeks away). I'm hoping some of our other contributors come back sooner or later too.

We do have a list of good first issues. These are intended to be relatively straightforward ones that still add value. We've also written up documentation on how to get set up for development, and WildWeazel created a virtual machine with things pre-set-up as an option, too. Certainly feel free to pick up one of those good first issues, post here that you are taking it up, and send WildWeazel or I a message to add you via GitHub so we can assign it to you.

Your idea is precisely the type of item that would allow a melding of Civ3 and Civ4 features in a good way. Which is a good thing! The plan is to add features needed for compatibility with Civ3 first, but those "present in other Civ versions and not incompatible with Civ3" features are likely to be fairly early additions after that.

While we do have an option to make a 32-bit Windows version without too much difficulty (and I've been running it in 32-bit mode during development a fair amount), unfortunately it is going to require at least Windows 7, IIRC. I think I'm the only developer who has actually run it on lower than 10, running it on 8.1, but it should work on Seven from what I know.

It does support zooming in, to an arbitrary level (rather than just one or two set levels), but it is limited by the graphics only being Civ3-resolution (for now).

Well, as it turns out, the project is written in C#. We are indeed short-staffed... I was the last developer continuing to work on it regularly for the longest, but (perhaps related to starting a new job) eventually burned out around early November. As anyone who's followed my editor knows, I tend to come back around to my projects sooner or later, but things have been quiet lately, and I'm not yet feeling the pull to jump back in (I'm only just returning to the forums after a few weeks away). I'm hoping some of our other contributors come back sooner or later too.

We do have a list of good first issues. These are intended to be relatively straightforward ones that still add value. We've also written up documentation on how to get set up for development, and WildWeazel created a virtual machine with things pre-set-up as an option, too. Certainly feel free to pick up one of those good first issues, post here that you are taking it up, and send WildWeazel or I a message to add you via GitHub so we can assign it to you.

Your idea is precisely the type of item that would allow a melding of Civ3 and Civ4 features in a good way. Which is a good thing! The plan is to add features needed for compatibility with Civ3 first, but those "present in other Civ versions and not incompatible with Civ3" features are likely to be fairly early additions after that.
Hey quintillus, I'll be reaching out to get set up.

Top Bottom