Religion AI is and broken

I've only played RFC++, but it I think it applies in general.

Greeks, French, England and whole range of civs often convert to Islam after taking one Islamic city. Turkey goes Orthodox under similar circumstances, but mostly it's Civ's converting to Islam for no reason.
Whatever religion a civ adopts seems totally random and unrelated to either strategies or historicity.
Ultimately it's a minor thing, but it seems easy to fix and a real breaker for a mod going for historicity.
Maybe make Islam only spread through conquest or missionaries, increase diplomatic penalties and lower spread rates in general?

I haven't seen this sort of thing on RFCE. Well, playing as Arabia I generally could get most civs to convert to Islam after sending a few missionaries their way, but without that interference state religions have stayed very historically accurate in my games.

I often see Random religion spread in various areas. Example: orthodoxy spreading in scandinavia (denmark & norway). Islam spreading in Lithuania. Anything spreading into England.

Religion spread should probably be tied to provinces so some religions spread there easier and others don't.

One of RFCE++'s major bugs is that countries convert way too easily. A shame, it's such a great mod...

The AI makes decisions on conversion based on multiple factors, having only one religion in all of your cities does skew the calculations heavily in that direction.

There are already heavy modifiers that change the religion weights, i.e., Orthodoxy has to be many times more favorable to Turkey, if they were to favor it over Islam.

I have not done any work on RFCE++, but the regular RFCE does constrain religion spread and conversions reasonably close to historic levels. Also note that the mod does not aim at repeating history exactly as it was, in fact, every nations is supposed to have at least one ahistoric UHV. Ultimately, the experience of an alternative history is essential to all civ games.

Top Bottom