1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Religion - General discussion/unstructured info

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by The_J, Feb 16, 2012.

1. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

We don't have yet a clear overview about the religion, so let's here gather what we can find :).

Spoiler :

• 'Religion Overview'; bunch of religious symbols across the top. 'Christianity' selected and blacked out.
    • 'Founder Belief', 'Follower Belief', '2nd Founder Belief', 'Enhancer Belief', 'Bonus Belief'. '2nd Founder' and 'Enhancer' unlocked by 'enhancing religion'.
    • Byzantines apparently in the game, with the 'Bonus Belief' available to them. UA?

Religions:
    1. Buddhism
    2. Christianity
    3. Confucianism.
    4. Hinduism
    5. Islam
    6. Judaism
    7. Shintoism
    8. Sikhism.
    9. Taoism
    10. Mesoamerican religion?
    11. Zoroastrianism

2. The_J

More info in the IGN article:

Computer Bild Spiele (google translation)

3. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

It appears beliefs will essentially function as Culture version 2, which would be disappointing in its own right, but the other elements interest me more:

Being able to used Faith as a manner of currency for buildings and units intrigues me as a modder as it probably means we can then create buildings that can be purchased with other yields.

As I stated in the other thread, the use of the existing peace dove as the Yield Icon is disappointing and seems mildly lazy. I hope that is rectified before release.

4. anandus

anandus Errorist

It seems you can mix & match your own religion based on 5 'beliefs' (6 for Byzantium).

If I understand correctly:
    * First you get you Pantheon-belief (when? After a tech?).
    * Then after a while (set of turns? A tech?*) you get your first prophet and you can set your founder and follower belief.
    * then again after a while you get a second prophet and you can set your 2nd follower belief and enhancer belief.
    Edit: * To answer the 'when', apparently it's when you've 'enhanced' your religion. I wonder what that means

Very interesting all in all. It allows for immense customization.
    If I'm not mistaken there are ten choices per belief (although the follower belief-pool might be the same so you choose 2 out of that?).

5. spider1

spider1 Prince

From what I'm reading so far, it would seem religion has much more debth than in Civ IV. It would seem religious decisions have a much more wide spread effect than just a bit of diplomacy or money like in IV. If this is actually the case, then I very much welcome a new decision making tree in the game.

6. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

Which also makes me nervous given Civ V AI up til this point.

7. anandus

anandus Errorist

And it seems like a nightmare to balance as well. But we'll see :)

8. Prince ByTor

Prince ByTor Chieftain

To have a religion, is it necessarily required to found one, or can you just adopt one that another civ has already founded? If you can just adopt one, would that mean you forfeit the founder bonuses?
    I would assume you don't have to found one since there are 11 religions, but you can have more than 11 civs in one game.

9. anandus

anandus Errorist

Interesting question, Prnice ByTor.
    Maybe the founder of a religion chooses the founder belief, but when you adopt an existing religion you can make your own choice for the follower belief? That way there could be a religion with sub-branches?

10. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I think you found a religion after finding the "resource"

and I don't think unless you possess the 'Holy City' or are the founder of the religion, you rely on what the founder actually selects, I don't think that if you'are just a follower you get to choose the religion.

My only concern is multiple religions. How will that work? Will each city be stuck to one religion?

The feature seems VERY promising, and quite frankly the Peace Dove? I have never seen it before, where does it occur in vanilla game?

11. Montov

Montov King

I also read you can stay an atheist. Not sure what the advantages would be (maybe you can use the Great Prophet for a golden age instead of founding of developing a religion, and don't have negative diplomatic modifiers, but the bonuses with religion look strong. Indeed, balancing is always a big issue for civ.

12. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

Cannot remember where it is in vanilla, but the icon has been in the game files since release. My issue here is primarily within the scope of modding as the inability to add new font icons while using up the few existing ones places modders in a really bad spot.

13. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

A new unit seems to be the missionary. Type of Great Person.

14. anandus

anandus Errorist

15. The_J

16. CivCube

CivCube Feelin' defiant.

Interesting. A tech tree that's first-come-first-served. I'm liking this.

17. The_J

From here I got to this article (google translation)

18. 19Mellon73

19Mellon73 Chieftain

Never realized how bad google translate actually is.
    Actually had to read the original article to get what was said. :D

At the beginning every civ can build a kind of pantheon - an early religion. With it it is possible to get up to three "belives", these are unique bonusses. For example, a player settles mainly in hilly area, he would want to choose a belive that grants religious worship for built quarrys. In this way he gain belive.

This way, at some point the players get a great prophet, who declares a world religion.
    This gives you access to two additional belive-slots wich are eventually very powerfull.
    The 30 Pantheon - belives are really good, but no match for the 20 world religion belives. The five that the player opens up for himselve, are for him alone. each belive is only available once - it's locked for all other players afterwards.

Even if a founder civ doesn't exist anymore a world religion continues to exist. They spread over national frontiers. There are even belives that make it possible for a player to gain a tax revenue from followers of his religion, even beyond borders from citizens of foreign countrys.

Not perfect, but I hope one can get now what actually was said.
    And of course it's not my fault, that english spelling and phonetic is not consistent :blush: --- :D

Just realising that Byzantium obviously may open six belives instead of five.
    But will it be a fourth pantheon belive or a third world religion belive?

19. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

The only thing I can't yet figure out are the benefits of religion to non-founders. I think I just need a greater understanding. I wonder if they've brought back prophets or will it expand by itself only.

There's a quote from Greg saying there will be religious city states. That makes me think Jerusalem will be a city-state. I could also see Nippur (if not taken) and Qom (if not taken). Certainly Mecca will have been taken. Also, they should probably change Lhasa to religious.

20. jabbawackybacky

jabbawackybacky Warlord

No Mesoamerican/Native American or African religion? Too bad ... other than that it looks fun. I wonder if they will have unique wonders again.