Religion & Reformation

Frossa

Prince
I have heard a lot about the Reformation feature considering Religion in BNW. I have also heard that some new Religion icons will be introduced from the Into the Renaissance scenario, including Protestantism and Eastern Orthodoxy.
Does anybody know if these two icons will be available upon founding a religion or if they are some sort of Reformation exclusive thing? I want to know if you will be able to found Protestantism before the original Christianity, etc. That would be pretty weird :crazyeye:

I'm pretty sure Christianity is being split into three branches, each of which is being treated as a distinct religion: Protestantism, Catholicism, and Orthodoxy. It's mostly a flavor thing. Something like 75% of the civs in the game were picking Christianity as their flavor religion, so this splits that up somewhat.

Could you theoretically adopt a reformation belief before enhancement? If so, what can we expect of the strength (and diversity) of abilities? Will it be as narrow a pool as enhancers? Will all civilizations receive those abilities as well?

The last time it was mentioned, Reformation was a belief added of Piety finishing. Not sure if the information is still actual.

That's what I thought, but in the What We Know thread it says Reformation is a specific policy. Arioch IV's Well of Souls concurs, at least, that the finisher isn't to do with the Reformation belief, so I'm not really sure what the case is.

That's what I thought, but in the What We Know thread it says Reformation is a specific policy. Arioch IV's Well of Souls concurs, at least, that the finisher isn't to do with the Reformation belief, so I'm not really sure what the case is.

Yes, may be I've missed some sources. Anyway, "Reformation" currently exists as social policy and it has culture effect. So it's logical to expect some religion effect from it in BNW, probably reformation belief.

I have a suggestion about reformation beliefs:

We've seen bnw piety tree's starter and finisher, it didn't mention the RBs.
In g&k we have a policy in the piety tree which is called "reformation" (+33% culture in cities with world wonders and an immediate golden age).
We do know a "flourishing the arts" policy in the aesthetics tree will be exactly the same as g&k's "reformation"
Conclusion: the reformation beliefs will very likely be tied to the "reformation" social policy in the piety tree (which also requires 3 of 4 other SPs in that tree)

I have a suggestion about reformation beliefs:

We've seen bnw piety tree's starter and finisher, it didn't mention the RBs.
In g&k we have a policy in the piety tree which is called "reformation" (+33% culture in cities with world wonders and an immediate golden age).
We do know a "flourishing the arts" policy in the aesthetics tree will be exactly the same as g&k's "reformation"
Conclusion: the reformation beliefs will very likely be tied to the "reformation" social policy in the piety tree (which also requires 3 of 4 other SPs in that tree)

also in BNW, the Piety poicty have been rearranged

Before it was

OrgRel->Theocracy
OrgRel->Reformation
Reformation+Mandate of Heaven->Religious Tolerance

Now, the Icons are arranged
OrgRel->Theocracy
OrgRel->Religious Tolerance
Religious Tolerance+Mandate of Heaven->Reformation

So Reformation is almost the finisher.. it is at the top of the tree, assuming reformation beliefs are there.

I think it is possible that "Reformation" will just give you an additional belief, and the Byzantine UA will get a change.

I think it is possible that "Reformation" will just give you an additional belief, and the Byzantine UA will get a change.

They specifically talked about a special subset of beliefs (that were focused on particular win conditions)
(which means either the Byzantine UA changed, or the Religion screen is reformatted for room for another belief)

From what we know two of the beliefs are "Purchase science buildings with faith" and "Convert barbarians to yourside adjacent to missionaries".

missionaries convert barbarians?
this mean to say, when missionary end its turn adjacent to barbarians or barbarian camps, those barbarians automatically converted. nice improvement.

but why limit to barbarians?

why not include the unit of your co-religion civ which at war with you. such inclusion will be awesome!

this mean to say, when missionary end its turn adjacent to barbarians or barbarian camps, those barbarians automatically converted. nice improvement.

why not include the unit of your co-religion civ which at war with you. such inclusion will be awesome!

Because barbarians have a shelf life (Ie, they eventually stop spawning due to the world being covered in units/borders).

think Germany UA + missionary conversion ... You don't need to 'kill' the unit in the barb camp anymore to use the UA to get a free unit. You just wander up with a missionary and get the unit, which then spawns another unit for the UA (give or take % chance). Insta-crazy army? yup.

If it included being able to covert units of a civ (who has your religion) that you are at war with, then fighting wars becomes a missionary spam game and you never have to fight. Plus it would mean that you can ignore evrything but faith as you would have a constant supply of units built for you.

That's a little too silly to be in the game.

For the fact that you can e.g. found protestantism before catholicism, it's not a problem since you can have islam (about 620 AD) before christianity.

I'm looking forward to see other reformation beliefs because it give a much better strenght to people who work for religion than for people who just build three shrines and ally a city state so that they get a religion.

I think they will rework the interface for the religion so that you have more space for the sixth belief (7 for byzantines). By the way, the Byzantines would be more powerful with reformation beliefs (even though I think their UA is bad) because I think they won't need to have Reformation to get the reformation belief. They can spend culture somewhere else.

Is there a way that 3 Civs could create Christianity, with different options, and then use the Reformation to 'convert' them to Catholic, Orthodox or Protestant, with different options for each version? Or is this too complex?

Because barbarians have a shelf life (Ie, they eventually stop spawning due to the world being covered in units/borders).

think Germany UA + missionary conversion ... You don't need to 'kill' the unit in the barb camp anymore to use the UA to get a free unit. You just wander up with a missionary and get the unit, which then spawns another unit for the UA (give or take % chance). Insta-crazy army? yup.

If it included being able to covert units of a civ (who has your religion) that you are at war with, then fighting wars becomes a missionary spam game and you never have to fight. Plus it would mean that you can ignore evrything but faith as you would have a constant supply of units built for you.

That's a little too silly to be in the game.

so, if by accident, you end up 2 tiles away from a barbarian, can they still capture your missionary?

For the fact that you can e.g. found protestantism before catholicism, it's not a problem since you can have islam (about 620 AD) before christianity.

I'm looking forward to see other reformation beliefs because it give a much better strenght to people who work for religion than for people who just build three shrines and ally a city state so that they get a religion.

I think they will rework the interface for the religion so that you have more space for the sixth belief (7 for byzantines). By the way, the Byzantines would be more powerful with reformation beliefs (even though I think their UA is bad) because I think they won't need to have Reformation to get the reformation belief. They can spend culture somewhere else.

I remember it really used to bug me in Civ IV that Meditation was easier to research than Polytheism, meaning Buddhism was founded before Hinduism 99% of the time.

But I think it's an other story if you found christianity before buddhism or islam before christianity than founding orthodoxy before catholicism because buddhism islam and christianity...these religions don't depend on any other but orthodoxy is formed to get away from catholicism.

Top Bottom