Removing scenarios

Status
Not open for further replies.

CurtSibling

ENEMY ACE™
Just a quick message to ask (whenever convenient) for all my file content to be removed from the CFC-controlled wiki.

I don't wish any of my CIV2 work associated with this particular site going forward. Cheers in advance.

I'll be keeping my work semi-private from now on.

Just a quick message to ask (whenever convenient) for all my file content to be removed from the CFC-controlled wiki.

I don't wish any of my CIV2 work associated with this particular site going forward. Cheers in advance.

I think I found all your scenarios/art on the scenario league wiki, and deleted the pages (or sections of the page). If there is anything more you want deleted, please let me know.

Damn.. sorry to hear that mate. :( I hope you consider one day in the future maybe uploading your scenarios to ModDB or archive.org or somewhere else where you'd have full control over your downloads and others could still enjoy your awesome scenarios. Would be such a shame if they're lost to the world forever. I've got copies in my personal collection so if you ever change your mind but can't find your stuff then just msg me and I'll get them to ya! :)

Cheers Prof, that saves me the work as I'm a bit busy atm and will be travelling soon (I've had a quick look though and it looks like you got them all). Oh and I'll get to the whole [SL news list] project when I'm back! :)

Last edited:

I don't disagree with your decision to withdraw from CFC. Their politically correct meddling is unacceptable, and frankly is a violation of the agreement we made with Thunderfall when we moved SL here from Apolyton. However, the wiki is not, in my opinion, CFC-controlled. It was set up by SL folks, and has always been updated by SL folks. It is hosted by CFC is all. If that's still unacceptable to you, fine. But in my opinion, you should find a way for other SL members and others to have access to your excellent work. Everything here owes something to the collaboration of our community, including your stuff. It's important that it remains publicly available - in my opinion.

Their politically correct meddling is unacceptable, and frankly is a violation of the agreement we made with Thunderfall when we moved SL here from Apolyton.

An interesting combination of the words "politically correct" and "Apoliton".

Intuitively, I translated "Apoliton" as "out of politics." However, the translation from the Greek gives "non-citizens". Apparently, the old-timers of this site know the exact answer.

An interesting combination of the words "politically correct" and "Apoliton".

Intuitively, I translated "Apoliton" as "out of politics." However, the translation from the Greek gives "non-citizens". Apparently, the old-timers of this site know the exact answer.
Apolyton site was unstable and dying at the time so we moved here.

Apolyton site was unstable and dying at the time so we moved here.

This is understandable, in general terms, I am aware of the history of the site. )

However, I'm interested in the current state of the definition of the word "Apoliton".

Arf. Can't reach curt with mp :(.
Too bad for my misplaced curiosity.

The only important thing to say is, in the end,
Thanks Curtsivling for sharing your creations, your point of views and your support until now.

Your creations were damn cool, and will still be great for sure.

There.. I think that worked. Have split the threads.

Figured if anyone wants to talk more about the unfortunate loss of Curt's awesome scenarios then now you can have at it here separate from the news list & sharing project as this had become a worthy thread topic in itself.

Speaking of which I've been meaning to say that I agree with the part in Techumseh's comment about the difference in hosted & controlled. Thunderfall needed us for testing so if the guy running this whole place can't get into the SL wiki then it's not really "CFC controlled", just hosted. I think the wiki deletions can be undone by an admin should you ever change your mind Curt, however if you've made up your mind then I hope you consider another host in the future as your scenarios are some of the best and most artistically impressive looking out there so it's a huge loss to the community. The ToT wiki page scenario list is looking quite small now as I didn't realise before just how much of what was there was yours!

Last edited:
I don't disagree with your decision to withdraw from CFC. Their politically correct meddling is unacceptable, and frankly is a violation of the agreement we made with Thunderfall when we moved SL here from Apolyton. However, the wiki is not, in my opinion, CFC-controlled. It was set up by SL folks, and has always been updated by SL folks. It is hosted by CFC is all. If that's still unacceptable to you, fine. But in my opinion, you should find a way for other SL members and others to have access to your excellent work. Everything here owes something to the collaboration of our community, including your stuff. It's important that it remains publicly available - in my opinion.
Haven't been here in a month or two. What's happened? What was the 'politically correct meddling'?

Curt got into some sort of argument with a couple of regulars on OT, who then did some oppo research on him, followed his links, found some mildly adult content (his art) and filed a complaint, claiming they were "offended". The Civ Fanatics staff, after an "investigation", upheld the complaint and asked Curt to delete his links. He refused. They did it for him. He quit as mod. So did I. Then he left CF altogether, taking his scenarios with him.

He's currently looking around for a good place to host his scenarios. One that isn't run by "politically driven muppets"
He is on Patine's discord server if you want to reach him.

He's currently looking around for a good place to host his scenarios. One that isn't run by "politically driven muppets"
He is on Patine's discord server if you want to reach him.
Perhaps the rest of the community should withdraw from the website as well, and delete all the content before they go.

Perhaps the rest of the community should withdraw from the website as well, and delete all the content before they go.

We're a small enough community that I doubt the admins will care if we leave. However, the Civ II community "leaving" might very well mean "disbanding" instead. At the very least, new/returning people will be much less likely to find us. And copying/deleting all the accumulated useful content would be a massive job that I doubt very much will happen. So, we would still be dependent on this site for archive purposes, but with barely any new activity. Giving the admins a reason not to keep the existing content. In favour of leaving is the fact that our group is small enough that we could coordinate and actually achieve it with a decent level of probability.

As far as "politics" goes, I'd point out a few things. The admins don't seem to be actively looking for (or, worse, sending an AI to look for) "offensive" content. Curt's offending material was linking to "mildly adult" art (as characterised by @techumseh ). This seems to be the relevant forum rule:

Inappropriate content
This is a family-friendly forum. We do not want, for example, people coming here to talk about Civ and being exposed to (in particular) sexual content. While we tolerate some discussion of adult issues, we do not permit discussions that are explicit. Advocating cruelty, violence, hateful or illegal actions may well fall under the category of inappropriate content and be deleted or infracted. Inappropriate content can refer to other topics as well that are very context related. Moderators may at any time close threads or delete content that they deem inappropriate or not in keeping with the purposes of this site or of a specific forum.
EDIT: Additional Specific standards of Google, our hosts main advertiser. Images against the Google standards may not be posted.:
Google ads may not be placed on pages with adult or mature content. This includes, but is not limited to, pages with images or videos containing:

--Strategically covered nudity
--Sheer or see-through clothing
--Lewd or provocative poses
--Close-ups of breasts, buttocks, or crotches
We generally operate with a one-click rule as well: You may not link directly (one click) to any page that contains content that is not allowed at this forum. This includes links to inappropriate website, even if the landing page does not itself contain inappropriate content. An exception exists for some forms of inappropriate language (see below).
I haven't seen the art, but "mildly adult" does seem like it likely to be a borderline case at best. They didn't go after "nazi imagery" in a scenario or anything like that.

Even if we grant, for the sake of argument, that the forum admins have "bad" politics, finding a a place with "good" politics creates its own problems. Is there a major service provider that has sufficiently "good" politics, and is guaranteed to continue to have these "good" politics well into the future? Or, is one of our number going to host their own website and forum until they get incapacitated or uninterested and we lose everything? As far as the Civ II forum goes, we seem to be left largely alone by the admins. Also, some of our number probably think that the forum admin's politics aren't bad, or are even good. Will they follow a politically motivated exodus?

If some of your content is at the boundary of acceptability according to the rules of this forum, and you're afraid moderators will rule against you because their politics are different from yours, there is another option: don't discuss politics on this site! There are lots of places online where you can argue politics. Is CivFanatics Off Topic so much better than any of them?

There are definitely services where "mildly adult art" should be allowed, but IMO, it isn't important for CivFanatics. Especially when the de facto rule is "if you link to 'mildly adult art', don't discuss politics in the OT forum." If you do manage to get enough people to an alternate service, then I'll probably follow. But I certainly won't promote or encourage any sort of exodus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom