1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Renderer Error

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Technical Support' started by bhavv, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

Hope those fixes hold up! I'll merge this thread with the main renderer error thread, just to keep everything in one place.

Moderator Action: Threads merged.

2. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Petek...

:sarcasm: -- duh. The horrific flaw has returned exactly like it was!

Just about ready to give up on this unless someone can fix it - for real.

(Can the initial thread posts be transferred back into Bug Reports since it seems like a different issue than what you've sent it with??)

3. Petek

Your problem is slightly different than the other renderer errors: Everyone else gets a popup error message during game play. Your games crash when exiting and generate an entry in a log file. I wonder if that's significant? Have you tried some of the other possible solutions, such as (if possible) increasing the video card's fan speed or changing its power settings? Please post your DxDiag file, since that might contain some useful information.

Regarding your request to move some of your posts back to the Bug Reports forum: I can do this if you really want, but I think it's better to keep everything in one forum. It makes the problem easier to understand.

4. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

You might be right about Video-Card settings or fan speed... i hadn't opened up the PC-TowerCase yet. But i certainly will have a peek inside to find dusty clugs. These are usually symptomatic beforehand though.

I've just looked up into the DXDiag report and as expected, nothing there that could explain why the flaw occurs. Everything seems in good order while i have any most recent drivers for both the NVidia GTX-550Ti and supplemental Video related assets.

I'll let you know if some "In-House" dust cleaning could resolve the issue.

5. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Cleaned up... (Just a bit dusty, btw)
    Reboot... (Took awhile, Win certainly has a reputation for having slight difficulties with Video-Cards detection upon system modifications.)
    Speed Fan... (From around 1400RPM to 2250, only)

**STILL** crashing on Exit to Windows.

I -- Give -- Up! :(

6. Knobby

Knobby Chieftain

I have the same video card with the same problems. I also have pretty much given up which is pretty sad as I have played Civ since civ 2 days. I am hoping its a bug that will be fixed.

7. Petek

Hi Knobby,

Try this: From Main Menu, select Options, then Video Options. Uncheck the GPU Texture Decode option. You may have to play for several hours before concluding that this suggestion worked.

Please post again if this didn't help (and include a copy of your DxDiag file). You can find information about the DxDiag file here. Also. please let us know if the above suggestion fixes the problem for you. Thanks!

8. Knobby

Knobby Chieftain

Thanks Petek.
    I will try it.

9. Aprel

Aprel Chieftain

To anyone following this thread,

Please help me get to the bottom of this issue. I need saves that consistently crash with Renderer Error on "Next Turn", and I need others who get Renderer Error to try each others' saves. See my post here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13419853#post13419853

Please follow that thread while we work through this.

10. T1g734gu3

T1g734gu3 Chieftain

Here is my system information:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6deG54uw4kiUWpKalRpSlNFMXM/view?usp=sharing

Here is a snapshot of the error message in game:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6deG54uw4kiWjJwMzFVR3pMWk0&authuser=0

When it happens:
    • Beginning of a new game after the intro speech/loading screen.

Do i run mods?
    • Yes i do, but i found even running the game without mods still causes this specific crash.

Did you troubleshoot in anyway before going on this site?
    • Yes, i had the "Grey screen crash," fixed, which then lead to the "Black screen crash," fixed, which then lead to this crash.

I can go into more detail about my fixes if it is relevant. Please help me get my fix, my irresponsible friend introduced me into this life now i'm stuck in it!!!

11. Petek

Welcome to CivFanatics!

Sorry to hear that you're getting the renderer error. It's a common error that has plagued the game for several years. I'm merging your post into the main thread where others have reported the error, along with possible solutions. You might want to read the thread and try some of the suggestions. Also, this thread contains more information about the problem. Good luck!

12. Mateman17

Mateman17 Chieftain

I also have the Render Error. I've had it with all the versions (DX9-10-11- The new 12) and I crash after 40 turns in Win8 mode, although I have Win 10. I post my DXdiag too. Please, help me! :(:(

What happens:

1. WITH VERSION DX 10-11

It crashes me either on the loading screen after the first cinematic or in the main menu.

Do I run mods:

Doesn't matter because it crashes me with and without mods. No I don't use mods now.

Did I have some other problems apart from this one:

As I've said I have some crashes on win 8 mode. Here I post a steam discussion about it, specifically playing with france:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/8930/discussions/1/492379439681428524/

Attached Files:

13. Wolfegang

Wolfegang Chieftain

FGX Renderer II :: Present failed hr=DXG1 ERROR DEVICE REMOVED Driver Failure

Umm, this error lead me to this thread. Had this game for 3 years now and NEVER had this problem before, bought new pc, and now this error pops up randomly and boots me out of the game every 10 - 15 minutes. :mad:

*edit: I clicked off "decode to GPU" box that was mentioned in previous pages as it seemed to be something that was brought up by many, and I chose "Play as Windows - 8 Touch Enabled" (even tho I don't have touchscreen monitor). After doing these two things, I played for 6 hours without an interruption, so I now consider my problem to be solved. Thanks for all the info and knowledge mentioned in previous pages. Below are my pc specs and OS for future reference:

cpu: i7-5960x @ 4.3Ghz
    gpu: evga gtx 980 ti 3 way sli
    ram: samsung DDR4 2133 32gb
    ssd: samsung 850 pro 2tb
    monitor: rog swift pg279Q
    audio: bose companion 5

14. Toxicman007

Toxicman007 Custom User Title

I have also been suffering from this error message. It persisted even after multiple attempts, such as a reinstall, verifying game files, playing on DX9, lowering all settings, and probably some more that I have forgotten. I had pretty much given up all hope of playing civ 5 again, but then I started a new game with no problems. It seemed that the particular error was only present in one game. All I had to do was not play that save any more.

Upon further playing, this error popped up in all the games I tried, not just the one save. Eventually it took out my graphics card. Just straight up died.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  15. Jealot

Jealot Chieftain

Hello everyone -

The fix for me is to go into GeForce Experience > Settings ("gear" icon) > General tab > IN-GAME OVERLAY (set to off).

This is late news, but hopefully good news nonetheless.

In case anyone has out of date GeForce Experience, the "IN-GAME OVERLAY" was previously referred to as "SHARE" and before this, it was called "SHADOWPLAY", so look for any of these names in the GeForce Experience settings and turn it off. This is also the culprit of various issues in several other games.

Before realizing this, I had tried all or most of the items on the usual list of solutions that other people have tried and suggested on various forums over the years.

I hope this helps!

Jealot