Resources and city radius

cevarez

Chieftain
Hi.

Is it possible to mod a building, so it needs a bonus in the city radius?

For example. I want to make a Refinery that requires oil in the city radius. This allows me to do a new bonus "gasoline". By this way, i can split the resource in two; production and processing, just like real life.

Thanks

----

I do something about this but is not the better. I do a new building so, when i have access to the oil (in this case), i can build the refinery and this building gives me "gasoline".

What´s the problem about this? If i give oil to another player, he could build the refinery and produce "gasoline". If i end the oil trade, the another player would continue producing gasoline.

So, i want to limit the building to a city radius resource. By this way, if i sell oil, no one can build the refinery.

There´s another way to limit it; i can put down the IA wiling for the oil to 0 (in the Bonus XML file) so it will never trade oil. But i found another problem. What´s about if i have ALL the oil in my power? I can build only one refinery and it will produce only 5 "gasoline", but it can be inssufficient for all the players on the game.

I want to do the same with the copper (for electricity-need buildings), uranium and maybe the food resources (food needed to build units?).

P.D. Sorry for my english. This is not my mother language.

Use the code strips regarding Forest Reserves? Bcause it is the effect of a resource within a city BFC...

Hi.

Is it possible to mod a building, so it needs a bonus in the city radius?

Unfortunately no. At least not without making changes in the CvGameCoreDLL file, which requires a knowledge of C++. That ability used to exist in Civ 3 but it was removed in Civ 4. I've always wanted to be able to do that as well, but there's no way to do it with the existing structure for buildings.

Use the code strips regarding Forest Reserves? Bcause it is the effect of a resource within a city BFC...

That won't work as there's no way to tie an improvement to a building, and Forest Preserves aren't resources. They're improvements of a terrain feature.

Unfortunately no. At least not without making changes in the CvGameCoreDLL file, which requires a knowledge of C++. That ability used to exist in Civ 3 but it was removed in Civ 4. I've always wanted to be able to do that as well, but there's no way to do it with the existing structure for buildings.

That won't work as there's no way to tie an improvement to a building, and Forest Preserves aren't resources. They're improvements of a terrain feature.

Thanks. Well, i'm trying by my way. If i have success, i will report here.

Thanks. Well, i'm trying by my way. If i have success, i will report here.

Well good luck with that, but I can tell you you're doomed to failure. That was one of the first things I tried to do when I got the game and started editing. I really liked that ability in Civ 3, but sadly it was removed with version 4. If you do manage to get it to work somehow let me know. I'd like to be able to that to my own game. Not the gasoline idea, just some resource specific buildings.

It is true what you say. It was just brainstorming with my brain at 1% capacity. :D In fact, it maxes out at 10%. :eek:

As you said, it probably needs changes in the DLL.
But perhaps python way is doable too. I've seeing crazy stuff from other dudes through pythons. It's faster than C++, but when creating a mod just on python changes, it tend to lag and crashes often.

Spanish/latino dude Cerveza, give a try to that place . They are apted people. It's just their benevolence that may be lacked occasionally. If The_J happens around, you're blessed. Many times he helped me. If AIAndy, spit on him. He's crazy good, but won't even help for questions that take one minute to answer.

Top Bottom