Revolution: with BarbarianCiv, Rebellion, AIAutoPlay

Here's a story for you.

Boudica of the Khmer was a neighbor of mine. Things didn't work out for her because the Khmer diposed her in favor of Suryavarman by 1000 BC. So she packed her bags and organized the Celts with Harapan as her Capital. She has new land that she wrestled from Brennus of the Germans. Not sure how it will turn out but it's very fun to watch.

I picked a custom game to start with random leaders. When a revolution spawns a new civ it's always the default leader for that new civ. I haven't run this game to it's finish but by selecting random leaders, have I decreased the total civs that may appear ? For instance having Hannibal of the Zulu would take both the Zulu and Carthage away as possible new civs ?

Just wondering. BTW this mod is amazing. I'm in awe of the work you've put into your hobby.

Here's a story for you.

Boudica of the Khmer was a neighbor of mine. Things didn't work out for her because the Khmer diposed her in favor of Suryavarman by 1000 BC. So she packed her bags and organized the Celts with Harapan as her Capital. She has new land that she wrestled from Brennus of the Germans. Not sure how it will turn out but it's very fun to watch.

I picked a custom game to start with random leaders. When a revolution spawns a new civ it's always the default leader for that new civ. I haven't run this game to it's finish but by selecting random leaders, have I decreased the total civs that may appear ? For instance having Hannibal of the Zulu would take both the Zulu and Carthage away as possible new civs ?

Just wondering. BTW this mod is amazing. I'm in awe of the work you've put into your hobby.

Glad you like it :) I haven't changed the mod to adapt to the random leader setting yet, so once it picks a civ it will always pick one of that civ's leaders. In your example the, only the civ (Zulu) is considered claimed, Carthage is still available. This does mean that you could see multiple copies of the same leader when using Random Leaders.

I'm sorry if I missed it, but is Revolutions not meant to be used in multiplayer?

it isn't but not impossible. I tried once and the game ran (sometimes we get some OOS errors ) fine except that we get the revolution pop up windows of each others...

Also it crashes pretty consistently sometime around the renaissance. Damn. We really love the mod, and had hoped for added multiplayer complexity.

I have a suggestion how to make this mod even better, if you lose your capital you should loose all your cityes. Maybe some of them turn into new civs and maybe soem of them go barbarian? but then you should make the AI to protect the captial more then it do now.

ps. love the mod as it is but this would make it even better ;)

Saw that thing about organised religion and theocraty would make religions go away. There should be a way to remove temples and stuff liek that from cities or else you would never get it to disappear from conquered cities.

Though i think it would be better with a inquisitor unit becouse its faster ;)
But then there should be a huge negative relation with civilizations with free religions or another state religion.

Maybe something like this?
"-10 you kill people only becouse what they belive"
or "-10 you kill our faithful"

And you should never be able to delete belief from the holy city.

Though i have no idea how modding works so tell me if im asking for the impossible but i think it will be funnier this way :crazyeye:

well Revolutionary, it's idea time.

For now I only play your mod. Once an OP has tried this mod, there's no going back to regular civ. I've had ups and downs with these new rules, but I've always been entertained.

I was thinking that these mechanics can be carried further. How about setting up the ability to change a leader of your vassal and also giving that option as part of a peace treaty ? Much like forcing a change in civics or a change in religion in the current game.

@ Gladdig

Glad you like the mod and welcome to CFC! There is already a highly destabilizing effect for losing a capital city (other major cities too, but the capital effect is huge). It doesn't show up very much though because usually by that point a civ is finished anyway, but I'll keep your input in mind while working on the revolt launching system.

As for religions leaving a city, retooling the whole religion system with inquisitors and happiness/relation penalties is a bit more than I want to bite off ... it's also not clear that such sweeping changes are needed, as the current system does a fairly good job. I plan to make building temples etc for non-state religions offset the negative aspects of running Theocracy a bit more, giving the player something they can directly do to make one or two religiously diverse cities work under Theocracy.

@ mourndraken

I can't go back to plain BTS either ;) The ability to influence the leader of another civ is certainly something which should be expanded, though I think supporting coups through espionage would be the most fun. Changing aspects of diplomacy is somewhat limited since some of it is locked up in the exe and not the modable dll for unknown reasons. What is or is not possible depends on how you try to implement it.

Got idea to add some more realism to this game. Every 100 years or something the leader should change names. Maybe 4000 bc it is Justian I then 3900 bc a new leader, his hier Justian II come to power, then 3800 bc justian III and so on. It should not change how the civ thinks about you or leader traits or anything, only the names. Dont you think that would be a nice idea? :)

How much sense does it make that the same leader lives for like 6000 years? :crazyeye:

I can't go back to plain BTS either ;) The ability to influence the leader of another civ is certainly something which should be expanded, though I think supporting coups through espionage would be the most fun. Changing aspects of diplomacy is somewhat limited since some of it is locked up in the exe and not the modable dll for unknown reasons. What is or is not possible depends on how you try to implement it.
Too bad diplomacy is only partially moddable. I'm glad that you will consider giving players the ability to change a leader of another civ. Now that I've thought about it, going through the espionage system could be fun and take away any 100% certainty of leadership change.
Got idea to add some more realism to this game. Every 100 years or something the leader should change names. Maybe 4000 bc it is Justian I then 3900 bc a new leader, his hier Justian II come to power, then 3800 bc justian III and so on. It should not change how the civ thinks about you or leader traits or anything, only the names. Dont you think that would be a nice idea? :)

How much sense does it make that the same leader lives for like 6000 years? :crazyeye:
I would hate this. (Later in the game there could be a Justinian the 200th ?) I don't mean to bump you here but it would be extreamly annoying to have to go through a leader change every 4 turns for no reason at all except to appease some sort of misplaced realism concept. This is a game. There is nothing real about it at all. I mean the French never built the Kremlin, but it could happen in Civ. There are just some things that are easy to ignore like the name of your leader in Civ.

jdog5000, I have a question: If I'd just like to have the original rebellion feature (wasn't it Trip, who made that?) updated, how would I go about doing that? Can I use a part of your mod easily enough, or do I need to start from scratch?

I would hate this. (Later in the game there could be a Justinian the 200th ?) I don't mean to bump you here but it would be extreamly annoying to have to go through a leader change every 4 turns for no reason at all except to appease some sort of misplaced realism concept. This is a game. There is nothing real about it at all. I mean the French never built the Kremlin, but it could happen in Civ. There are just some things that are easy to ignore like the name of your leader in Civ.

Yea but this is as useful as dynamic civ names, wich i also like.

jdog5000, I have a question: If I'd just like to have the original rebellion feature (wasn't it Trip, who made that?) updated, how would I go about doing that? Can I use a part of your mod easily enough, or do I need to start from scratch?

If you're just looking for a BTS version of Trip's mod, then yes you'll have to do it yourself from scratch. This mod originally started as an evolution of that but it's changed drastically and now bears little resemblance. That said, I would encourage you to try out just the Revolution component of this mod (you can enable/disable separate components in Revolution.ini) ... Trip's code spawned a single barbarian unit every now and then when things weren't perfect. He didn't intend it as a finished product, more as a way to get people working on something, which is what I've done. There was no warning, no decision making on how to deal with rebellious feelings, and a single barb unit is no real threat at all. This is why I've gone basically completely away from Trip's initial model.

I'm really excited to test this out. It's a huge improvement from Trip's original mod, and is hugely realistic.

As a request, would you be able to release the Revolution modcomp by itself, without everything else? For my mod I probably only have use for the Revolution component itself, and possibly AIAutoplay, but Barbciv (while it's a neat idea) has no place in the scenario I'm working on.

I'd like to merge it with other SDK source code, and it seems that it would be too much to sift through to remove all the extras you have (even if you do label the individual code for each modcomponent).

I'll report back once I get a chance to play a game with Revolution, but I'm really psyched about it.

Also it crashes pretty consistently sometime around the renaissance. Damn. We really love the mod, and had hoped for added multiplayer complexity.

I also wish that this was MP compatible, because this mod is INSIDE other mods, which means I can't MP with family with the other mods either...

Make it MP, if possible!

Regards,

JohnYoga

Thanks for the tip, jdog. :)

Another question: How does regular cultural city flipping fit into all this?

Top Bottom