Revolutionary wave - what do i do?

Thanks for comment all. Ended up switching to Freedom. It sorta worked as I got the banking tenet and already had lots of Gold buildings to pay for a big army. Not nearly as good use of the next few policies I got through the game though.

Then of course 100 turns later, after eliminating Freedom loving Persia and giving warlike civs time to build a bit -- I'm looking at 21 points of civil discontent, with my people angry at me that I'm not following Autocracy. Much grrrr.

Oh well, playing King as I hadn't done it -- learn as you skill up I guess. Now to pick a new civ for the next difficulty level. I must say .. that "steal a tech with every city you take" ability worked out REALLY well.

In general, I take 3 approaches if I'm in a revolutionary wave:
1. Suck it up and switch ideologies
2. Fight the rebel scum! (Although in my experience Freedom won't particularly help your effort)
3. Musician Concert all the other Civs until my tourism matches their's

I've not prioritised culture but do have Autocracy with nice happiness and gold tenets to pay for maintenance of roads and units. Was holding above zero happiness after taking Rome, but a negative 40 revolutionary wave for Freedom will cost me cities very soon unless I convert..

Then (most likely) you chose your targets wrong. The proper thing to do when running Autocracy is conquer the tourism leader first. If you had -40 after conquering Rome than Rome didn't have enough wonders and great works to steal.

Gaining pressure immunity via conquest might be a problem below Immortal though, since there might not be any one AI with all the works. Still, you can do as well with stealing wonders if you get the Cultural Heritage resolution passed in World Congress first. (It should go without saying that you want to explore and found World Congress first if you are intending an aggressive late-game.)

Anyone can read the code to give us the formula? I would really love to know how it works too.

Might be that simple, but is it really? How do you even go dominant if you have to get more than the culture a civ accumulated throughout all history?

1) The formula is really simple. The tourism is how much tourism you've generated with them throughout the entire game, and the culture is how much culture they've generated throughout the entire game.

2) The way you catch up is through the % modifiers (open borders, trade routes, diplomats, etc.). If in a late game situation they have 700 :c5culture: per turn and I have 900 :tourism: per turn (but a 134% :tourism: modifier), I'm going to be catching up very quickly even though I only have 200 raw points more than them.

I think the reason you were confused about the formula is because of what gregorovitch said with his percentage math earlier. See below.

And as mentioned, don't think of Influence as being a difference between your percentage and another player's percentage as a ratio - it's nothing as complicated as that. The pressure comes from differing Influence levels only and the percentages are only important in the respect that they facilitate how close a player is to reaching the next level (or dropping back to the previous).

I don't think he was actually thinking of it as a percentage difference, he was just answering his own question of how he could be generating more :c5culture: per turn than the other civ was producing :tourism: per turn, but their influence % was going up.

He already sorta did the math, but I'll do it again just to clarify.

Lets say I have 100 cumulative :c5culture:, and am producing 2 per turn. The AI has 0 cumulative :tourism: and is producing 1 per turn. I am producing more :c5culture: than the AI is producing :tourism:. The AI could never become influential at this rate but counter-intuitively the % of influence actually increases. The AI has 50% of your :c5culture: output as :tourism: and as such, the % influence will approach 50% as the number of turns goes to infinity.

100 :c5culture:, 0 :tourism:, 0% influence
102 :c5culture:, 1 :tourism:, .98% influence
104 :c5culture:, 2 :tourism:, 1.92% influence
106 :c5culture:, 3 :tourism:, 2.83% influence
--10,000 TURNS LATER--
20106 :c5culture:, 10003 :tourism:, 49.75% influence

Just to prove the point, it works the same if you are producing the same amount of culture as they are tourism. This time the ratio approaches 1:1 (100%).

100 :c5culture:, 0:tourism:, 0% influence
101 :c5culture:, 1:tourism:, .99% influence
--10,000 TURNS LATER--
10101 :c5culture:, 10001 :tourism:, 99.01% influence

Obviously this works the same with large numbers; the % influence = to the ratio of the :c5culture: and :tourism: will be reached quicker if the amount per turn is closer to the cumulative produced. In the previous examples you will reach the ratio a lot quicker if you were producing 50/25 culture/tourism per turn instead of just 2/1.

And no, I don't have anything better to do at 2 in the morning :)

Top Bottom