RevolutionDCM for BTS

We continued our game tonight. We did have two OOS episodes - both in the middle of hot battles during revolutions where units were spawning like mad (not me fortunately, I just continued my ages long war with Shaka which, along with mediocre land and gross mismanagement, has caused my game to suffer horribly! It's a wonder he hasn't taken me out.). Considering that we've played smoothly for two long nights with only two OOS, we're quite happy with it all.

Also one time my revolution manager popped up (for my cities) when one of my friends was accessing hers to bribe her city. That was not a big deal, I wasn't seeing her information and it didn't affect game play. Since we were all using the icon to access the revolution manager and it only happened once, I don't know what to say about it, except it didn't seem to be any big deal.

So far we're happy. :)

@Carwyn
Dang. I'm glad you had some fun with MP anyway. A copy of the logs would be good. Could you recover from the OOS and continue the game?

@Duneflower
From memory you are getting python errors with your scenario and you are using an old version of RevDCM. I loaded in your scenario into the latest RevDCM and everything was fine except that it couldn't find the leaders like Mr Big. If you were to merge those in I can't think of anything that would be a game breaker.

Cheers

Recovering from OOS isn't hard - the host saves the game, we all exit to desktop, clear the cache and reload the game. It's just a pain if you do it often. That will happen in vanilla BTS too, I think, if the battles get crazy. It's happened at times in every mod we've played. Reloading the games has gone smoothly, that's a big one.

Oh yah, can you refresh me as to how to turn on the logs? I'll poke around a little, but I don't remember how to do so. Also, although we all downloaded and installed the mod (same version) with the installer, somehow one of us is getting the message that says his files are different from ours. I'm sure he said he is patched with the "c" patch - I'm the only one that did the "b" patch and then the "c", but I match the other players. Seems to me that he had that message before with other mods, maybe he should reinstall and patch his BTS.

To get BtS to log, you need to open up your main Civ4 ini file, found in your My Document/Beyond the Sword folder. There are a number of options in there, turn off the "Disable Python Exceptions" one, and also turn on the Enable the logging system option as well. Turning on the Sync Logging option crashes Single Player games, but perhaps you should turn this on as well in multiplayer games, not sure. Also setting Autosave to every turn would be cool as well, as then you'll always have a save from a turn before. Anyway if you get a Python Exception, or an Out of Sync error, please upload your logs here (Once you enable logging, Civ4 will create a Logs folder in your My Documents/Beyond the Sword folder), and also the save game from the turn before.

Ok, set up logging, didn't set the Sync Logging at this time because it crashes single player games and I play SP a fair amount too. I don't want to crash our MP game tonight. We played last night, similar experience... one time when a player opened their revolutions adviser mine also popped open (same player as the last time and only once all night). I went OOS twice in a few turns, I was at war with a lot of unit movement and fighting, again I suspect this is a weakness at the BTS level, I'm pretty sure it will go OOS during hot battles. Of course we haven't played much vanilla civ MP and we've played mods based on Revolutions even before it was RevDCM. It has certainly improved - going OOS twice in a night's play is not a real problem, going OOS every couple of turns is. I just left the game, emptied my cache and rebooted my client before I re-entered.

Eh there
Just a small maintenance release before 2.9 that will come out hopefully within the week. It will have extra diplomacy display options and the advanced unit automation code care of and thanks to Afforess.

@Carwyn
Thanks for trying and I do wish you have an enjoyable game with minimal frustration

@Duneflower
Have a look at this latest version, it may fix your issue with scenario loading.

Enjoy

Well, when we loaded last night I immediately went OOS and could not get it to work... I wonder if putting logging on did that? We were about turn 450. Too bad, now I get to play my friend's latest version of his mod and it is HARD!!! Darn it! There is no free trade route at the beginning, no tech brokering, some wicked barb units, very slow research and production and ALL improvements cost gold. You have to really pick and choose what to research and what to build.... I had decent land, but made some mistakes and I'm at turn 300 with no economy and no research and the barbs took out my capitol early on and really messed me over! I have it back now as an empty city to start over with, but no way was I going to get it back without advanced units and no copper!

The game going out of sync at a specific point is exactly what we are looking for and trying to fix. Please upload the save game, and your logs so we can take a look at them.

The game going out of sync at a specific point is exactly what we are looking for and trying to fix. Please upload the save game, and your logs so we can take a look at them.

Sure, I saved the game and should have the logs. Is there somewhere to go to learn how to upload them?

hey guys, glider,

so after your little speech in the j's mod.....i decided to update my mod.....

ive been comparing rev2.82 to 2.83, and the only different files i see are the text files, from the posted changes, i understand there should be some sdk code changes, alt global ' and more, is there a small possibility you did not upload the changed files?

edit:
seems that the svn is also the same as 2.82

cheers!

Eh Kel
Yeah you have got razor sharp eyes Kel. The error is in the documentation not the mod. I already added the DLL changes in 2.82 when Phungi got them in at the last minute. 2.83 has no DLL changes. It will all come out in the wash when the next full release comes out in 2.90. Not sure when that will be. I'm having trouble with interfacemodetypes at the moment. I can't get the !#$@$@ button to show in the interface! :scan::cry::mad:
Cheers

Hello;
I'm interested in adding arcologies(like in Next War) to my copy of this excellent mod. However, I'm not sure where I should add the changes to the python to destroy the shielding and normal arcologies when the next stage is built, or where to add the code to prevent the coinstruction of these obsolete arcologies, can someone point me in the right direction?

I would be very grateful for some help. :)

------------------------------------------------
:snowgrin::rudolf: Happy Holidays! :rudolf::snowgrin:

This may seem like a stupid question, but I would really appreciate any help.

I'm trying to get into SDK modding, and I managed to compile a BTS .dll last night for the first time. My next step was to try and compile a REVDCM .dll, but I'm not totally sure how to use the source files. What I did was make a copy of the BTS SDK, then copy the REVDCM sourcefiles into that, overwriting any changes. When I try to compile it in Visual Studio 2008, though, it simply says something like, "Final_Release" is up to date" and doesn't do anything.

@Eh Jabarto
Yeah SDKing is a huge learning curve well done so far. Have a read of the massive thread on all these problems at:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=196283&page=24
If you can compile and run the base BTS SDK you are almost there. All you need now is the makefile and other details to get the RevDCM core to compile. Be patient, many things can go wrong. Report back your experiences preferably at that forum (it is the traditional forum for these questions). At one time the most experienced Civ4 modders like Emperorfool hung out extensively at the forum. If you do not get help there, come back here by all means.

@The Number Pi
Yes I do a similar thing where I add just a small amount of extra stuff to the basic RevDCM. I have not the time to go into details right now as I prepare version 2.9, but suggest that you go to the diversica mod, download it and try to understand how Mamba has made arcologies work in it (all modular loaded). You should be able to add an arcology building via your own module and determine it's behaviour via XML without having to change the main infrastructure of RevDCM itself. The only time modular loading breaks down and forces changes in the main infrastructure of the mod is with audio effects and a couple of weird bug situations in WoC. Mamba is the expert on all these issues.

Cheers

@The Number Pi
Yes I do a similar thing where I add just a small amount of extra stuff to the basic RevDCM. I have not the time to go into details right now as I prepare version 2.9, but suggest that you go to the diversica mod, download it and try to understand how Mamba has made arcologies work in it (all modular loaded). You should be able to add an arcology building via your own module and determine it's behaviour via XML without having to change the main infrastructure of RevDCM itself. The only time modular loading breaks down and forces changes in the main infrastructure of the mod is with audio effects and a couple of weird bug situations in WoC. Mamba is the expert on all these issues.

Thank you! I will look into it. :)

This may seem like a stupid question, but I would really appreciate any help.

I'm trying to get into SDK modding, and I managed to compile a BTS .dll last night for the first time. My next step was to try and compile a REVDCM .dll, but I'm not totally sure how to use the source files. What I did was make a copy of the BTS SDK, then copy the REVDCM sourcefiles into that, overwriting any changes. When I try to compile it in Visual Studio 2008, though, it simply says something like, "Final_Release" is up to date" and doesn't do anything.

RevDCM uses a custom makefile, which is much faster then the older one everyone used. You need to set up your project in Microsoft Visual Studios and use Refar's instructions; also change all the Final_Release instances to simply Release in those instructions.

Sure, I saved the game and should have the logs. Is there somewhere to go to learn how to upload them?

When you post, click on the attachment icon (the thing that looks like a paper clip) and simply upload the file. Your logs folder you will need to compress first, as these forums only allow Civilization Save Games, text files, and zip files as file types for attachments.

@Glider

Can you take a look at carwyn's save and try to figure out what's causing it to go OOS? I'm not set up to handle multiplayer and test it.

The next amazing phase will be when you get the debugging side to work Jabarto. It is totally cool to have the game running as well as the debugger and find that the game has stopped at your break point to reveal the inner workings of the code at that moment.

Phungi I am too occupied with trying to get AUA working at the moment. There is some small detail I am missing that I cannot track down at this point.
Cheers

When you post, click on the attachment icon (the thing that looks like a paper clip) and simply upload the file. Your logs folder you will need to compress first, as these forums only allow Civilization Save Games, text files, and zip files as file types for attachments.

@Glider

Can you take a look at carwyn's save and try to figure out what's causing it to go OOS? I'm not set up to handle multiplayer and test it.

Ok, now I'm a noob at this - what files (besides the save game) do you need and where do I look for them?

Top Bottom