RevolutionDCM for BTS

Eh Zeiter - glad you could the project working with the help of fellow modders!

Eh Absinthered - hi thanks for coming back to the forum. Yeah I think Civ5 is amazing on so many levels. Civ4 is amazing too. The Civ5 AI is basically as good as the Civ4 AI at BetterBTS with a different objective to Civ4 (the AI plays to win a game condition), but the complexity level has gone up in Civ5 relative to civ4. This is why the Civ5 AI is outstanding since the last patch. The biggest weakness is the tactical AI, but no wonder! If you think about what calculations would theoretically need to be done to make the AI half decent at tactics, they have some how found a way to efficiently make the AI mimick a rudimentary understanding of tactical moves on the board! I suspect they have accomplished this using a simple rule based approach combined with a strategic AI, but nothing about any of this is simple and I am only guessing! Note that Jdog5000 himself thinks that the Civ5 is an amazing achievement, and he is the main person behind the civ4 AI as we see it today.

Eh Ripple1: I'll try to pull my finger out and fix autoplay I really will. I can prioritize some time for this.

Eh Chris: You could well be correct about the AI. As I understand it, the AI is very different from the Civ4 AI, in that there is a definite top down strategic engine in the AI that was not present in civ4 until Jdog5000 patched it in. Perhaps essentially the Civ5 AI is well understood computer science that is already being implemented in other games, and so the intellectual property is negligible. The risk they are taking in my opinion is that somebody will take the code and write a 1UPT game for dual processor smartphones at some point after the source release. At the moment that is a tiny market, and I guess by the time that smartphones are dual processor on mass, the Civ AI will have evolved beyond that and so the inappropriate reuse of old intellectual property would not matter.

Cheers

I am having a problem with this mod comp, I think.

I am running it as a part of Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn mod by Afforess for BtS. However, I apparently can't change the Barbarian city names just by editing the Civilization infos XML file?!

Is there some another file where the city names are defined? Please, could someone shed some light on this issue? :confused:

I am having a problem with this mod comp, I think.

I am running it as a part of Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn mod by Afforess for BtS. However, I apparently can't change the Barbarian city names just by editing the Civilization infos XML file?!

Is there some another file where the city names are defined? Please, could someone shed some light on this issue? :confused:

Just how are you trying to edit them?

Just installed v3.19 and RevDCM, but whenever I try to load RevDCM an error comes up saying that "FEATURE_BATTLE3" and "FEATURE-BATTLE6" are both incorrect and that the "iFeatureIndex is -1 inside SetFeatureStruct function" in the XML file "xml\Units/CIV4BuildInfos.xml"

Any idea how to fix it or should I just reinstall it and hope it works?

Posted this a bit ago over in the LoR threads and was pointed here as others thought it sounded like a bug with this, specifically. Since I ran into this, I tried reinstalling LoR and had two successful civ leader revolutions and another two failed ones. It seems like reinstalling the mod fixes up whatever the glitch is but I've only run the one round of testing. That makes me wonder if it's caused by some kind of cache I haven't figured out how to dump yet.

Heya. Just returned to Civ 4 after a couple of years of Dragon Age obsession. I've run into something I've not been able to figure out but vaguely think I recall reading about in the past (and am having no luck finding in the forums for this or RevDCM core). I'm not sure it's a bug nor am I sure that I shouldn't be asking this in the RevDCM thread. I'm hoping someone can point me to whatever thread it is I'm thinking of where this was covered.

In a nutshell, when my civ demands a change in leadership, if I agree I don't always get the automated turns afterwards with the new temp leader. Sometimes the game just... proceeds as though nothing happened. I thought I remembered that this was a bug in previous versions of this mod or the core mod but I can't remember for certain. I was wondering if there's a reason for this or if it is a bug or if I should be asking elsewhere. This is early game so at most my available civics are usually Hereditary Rule and Slavery. Over the last week-ish, in three separate playthroughs, I've had the leader revolution work (i.e. go into automated turns for a bit) once and fail twice. Is this working how it's supposed to and I'm just missing something?

For the record, I did finally find the thread that I was thinking of in that first paragraph. It was just a shorty where Phungus explained that it was a feature that wasn't working for the core mod yet (older thread), so no help there.

A bit of background on auto-turns for leader revolts, it worked for years.....and then we tried to fix multiplayer.... Then auto-turns did not work, then it did work. Then multiplayer did not work and auto-turns did work :crazyeye:. Now it looks as if auto-turn for leader revolt sometimes works and sometimes it does not. The other issue is that auto-turns for testing stops on a revolution rather than keeps going!

Don't worry about clearing the cache, the bug will be inside the Revolutions mod.

Thanks for the report. My head is already mulling over Revolutions for Civ5 but nobody knows including me when that will happen, and so Revolutions for Civ4 is still the reference mod for Revolutions, and should be fixed.

Cheers
Harry

Well I've had six successful revolts since my last reinstall of the mod. I've gone through the cycle four or five times now and it seems like once I have one failed revolt, all successive revolts also fail. So if anyone else runs into this 1) the first fail is just the first in a line, I think and 2) reinstalling LoR works to clear up the problem, for a while at least, so I'm assuming reinstalling just the core would work if you're having problems with it there.

Thanks for the hard work. Though I can't say I've ever gotten particularly good at Civ 4 (I rocked at the first three, not sure what happened here), I enjoy the challenge of the complete randomness that is this mod when played a certain way.

This mod is a must for me, if only because of the inquisitors. I missed a unit to purge unwanted religions so much in the standard game. But the rest of the features are also very welcome, I like the revolutions part itself (brings me fond memories of call to Power) and ranged bombardment (Civ 3)

I was wondering if there are or were any plans or a way to merge the graphic addons from BAT with this mod, since the rest of the BUG project (BUG, BULL, Better AI...) is already in. Any suggestions to achieve such a thing?

Also, there seems to be a component in Legends of Revolution called Dynamic Religious Spreading, which seems like the only 'core option' lacking in this mod. Would it be possible to add it?

Finally, would it be a good idea to add a unit to purge unwanted corporations from cities? I was thinking something like a 'lawyer', that would require a number of turns and/or a big amount of gold (much more than for spreading the corporation). I don't know if it would be too cheap, or if needed at all (I don't know if the AI is good at using corporations to drain your economy, or to boost its own)

I was wondering if there are or were any plans or a way to merge the graphic addons from BAT with this mod, since the rest of the BUG project (BUG, BULL, Better AI...) is already in. Any suggestions to achieve such a thing?

Not sure anyone is trying to merge BAT, but my mod is RevDCM with civ specific graphics (plus some other stuff you can disable / not install). The units are not necessarily the same as in BAT though.

Just how are you trying to edit them?

Just in the typical way by editing the CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml in the mod's folder
(Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\and\Assets\XML\Civilizations)

Any changes to this file does not seem to take effect when running the game...

It uses the very same old default Barbarian city names assigned since the Vanilla. (Tribe names, such as "Scythian, Harappan, Ligurian" etc.)

Besides the xml mentioned above, I haven't found any other xml file that would define the Barbarian city names. I wonder where the problem is? :confused:

I'm working on a mod and was thinking of using components of RevDCM in it, but it appears from previous posts that v2.9 has multiplayer problems. Are these going to be fixed anytime soon?

edit: Is it only certain components of RevDCM that are unstable in multiplayer? i.e. would it be stable if I only used certain ones... like say Influence Driven War, Super Spies, BUG, and Better AI?

Just in the typical way by editing the CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml in the mod's folder
(Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\and\Assets\XML\Civilizations)

Any changes to this file does not seem to take effect when running the game...

It uses the very same old default Barbarian city names assigned since the Vanilla. (Tribe names, such as "Scythian, Harappan, Ligurian" etc.)

Besides the xml mentioned above, I haven't found any other xml file that would define the Barbarian city names. I wonder where the problem is? :confused:

Geh, seem to have missed the notification of your message.

This is probably required to run it at all, but just to be sure: You've made sure that modular loading is enabled? I'm no expert, but I can't really think of anything inside of DCM that would cause that...

Hi,

After some modding based on BTS I just started to do some modding based on RevolutionDCM.

My first small Goal was to create a custom civilisation that replaces two of the existing civilisations.

I setup the folders this way:

RevolutionDCM\Assets\Modules\MYMODNAME\Civilizations\HRRDN\HRRDN_CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml

HRRDN_CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml has three civilisations in it.
- The new HRRDN (just a copy of Germany with <Type>CIVILIZATION_HRRDN</Type> for now)
- And the XML code of the two existing ones (Germany and Holy Roman Empire). I set these two to <bPlayable>0</bPlayable> and <bAIPlayable>0</bAIPlayable>.

When I load the MOD I see my new Civ HRRDN but also the two that I was trying to disable in the Start Game options.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in Advance

Top Bottom