RFC:BTS will have 5 new civs!

I know each country has its own reason to argue about being included and using a certain name...
Unfortunately in other languages "The Scandinavians" doesn't sound good. At least, in Italian, the word Scandinavia is used to refer the region, but historically we study the Vikings and the Normans, and later the various kingdoms, but not a Scandinavian Empire. It's like calling the Khmer "South East Asians" for a better representation of Thai and Vietnam. It's probably more correct and fair, but doesn't sound good.

Well, in English (and Danish and Swedish) Scandinavia is a historical name. Otherwise it would just be a small part of Norway and Sweden. But it does cover Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Iceland, the lands where the northern Germanic people lived (and live).
Scandinavians are the people who settled towns from Ukraine to Newfoundland, in otherwise fantastic mod, I never see that happen. All Scandinavians have got it Norway and Sweden. Historically speaking they should have Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Finland and at least three cities in Russia. Novgorod (Holmgård) was founded by them, so was Kiev (Kjonugård) and also one or two more. Athlone, Dublin, Limerick, Mullingar, Wexford and Waterford in Ireland were all Scandinavian. You'll have a hard time finding a non-Scandinavian name in NE England too. I never ever see that. Plus, I never ever see Berserker attacks anywhere (when the "Vikings" are led by the AI at least. I enjoy destroying little Frenchies and see the face on Lizzy when she wants to capitulate :viking:). But...I don't know what could be done about this. Maybe make coast from Norway to Iceland and eliminate the ice that separates Greenland and Iceland. Perhaps they should start with 1 more settler or one two extra techs. I don't know. Make Denmark (the best country in the world) more fertile and give Vikings a galley with a settler in so they do expand there.

Anyway, back on Scandinavia! I call myself Scandinavian, even though I don't live on the same peninsula as my Swedish and Norwegian friends.
About the "Southeast Asian empire". I don't really think there could be something that would describe this. Khmer, Thai and Vietnam all had very separate histories and cultures. Scandinavians had and have the same culture and a very similar history (the Swedes probably disagree with me).

But you probably know best for your own mod. :D
Thanks for replying to me though ;)

It's impossible to simulate the Scandinavians/Vikings accurately because there were a cultural group made-up of many squabbling short-lived fiefdoms which gradually coalesced into a few stable kingdoms. I'm not against having them in, because we need something to fill that region, but I would rather they were renamed Sweden or Denmark, or Kalmar (after the Union of Kalmar, when Scandinavia was united). Not a big deal though.

I have never asked for a representation of Belgium in the MOD. I don't want Belgium to be represented by the Dutch, but I don't mind that they colonize Congo (a Belgian colony), because else that would be a blank spot.

If I wanted to see my people represented I would ask for the (Salian) Franks, but I'm not so...

I do have some trouble with the Scaninavians or Vikings or whatever name for my proud brotherpeople. They often destroy the Aztecs and Incas and conquer there lands because of the Conquerors event.

Well, at one point of history Scandinavian countries (Denmark and Sweden) did have some colonies in America...

I agree, however, that Scandinavian Mexico happens a bit too often. Don't know what causes this, as Spain is nearer to Americas and has Navigation II on her caravels, while Scandinavians have only Navigation I (as a result of their UB effect).

Let's change Vikings to Scandinavia and put a new tile like the bosporus connecting Baltic Sea to the North Sea... so you can have Copenhagen :p.

Oh, change England to Britain... and you can now put Boudicca as an early leader for them :).

Knowing the AI, it would just build a city one tile off of the "canal" tile.

Nah, Egypt and Turkey/Greece don't do this. Just that stupid Arabia!

PS: Rhye, in the BST version the AI will build cities in those canals or Forts? :cool:

No, never. They'd end up in America right after the spawn

Umm...they did.
Greenland was settled around 1000 and the same for Newfoundland (Vinland) by people from the Icelandic commonwealth, which..never seems to be built except by Brits around 1800 AD. Historically it was settled around 850 by people from Norway.
But I'd understand it if it weren't possible.

Well, at one point of history Scandinavian countries (Denmark and Sweden) did have some colonies in America...

I agree, however, that Scandinavian Mexico happens a bit too often. Don't know what causes this, as Spain is nearer to Americas and has Navigation II on her caravels, while Scandinavians have only Navigation I (as a result of their UB effect).

We had colonies of course. I'm not sure if you count Greenland as a colony today (or Faeroe Islands) but we had some others, including the Caribbean. Never close to being major, but we did have some.
Like I said earlier, settlements in Northern America were founded around 1000 and if it weren't for the aggressiveness of the Scandinavians (they just wanted to get rid of the skraelings, Native Americans) we'd still know of a Scandinavian civilization in America.
Let's change Vikings to Scandinavia and but a new tile like the bosporus connecting Baltic Sea to the North Sea... so you can have Copenhagen :p.

Absolutely agree!! Denmark is never settled by anyone.
If someone, it's the French. Come on, Denmark was the center of the Vikings and they never have interest in it.

Maybe the Vikings could start with two settlers: one on the Scandinavian peninsula and one in Denmark.

Allowing the Vikings to settle America early wouldn't really be good for civ's historicalness. RFC can only simulate civilizations which represent a unified force. A Viking civ with early colonies all over the world all working together as one power would just be too powerful, and wouldn't be true to history. I'm certain that the Vinland settlement was barely even in contact with mainland Scandinavia, let alone working together with all Viking settlements everywhere!

If Denmark is settled, it is usually German... There must be some device of allowing Denmark to be Scandinavian.

And sometimes the Scandinavians do settle Vinland.

Let's change Vikings to Scandinavia and put a new tile like the bosporus connecting Baltic Sea to the North Sea... so you can have Copenhagen :p.

Oh, change England to Britain

I like both of these idea's, any chance on either of them Rhye?

The glory of St. Petersburg and some other ports, like Riga etc., must be kept in RFC!

You can have a Open Borders with the Vikings even with 0 relations. And a lot of war games treat the area around copenhagen as a channel, where you can only pass if you are at peace with the onwer of the city.

And the Russians don't need sail ships in Atlantic! They are always starting Land Wars in Asia...

Germany for better acess to the Atlantic and Britain, attacked Denmark... so the idea of the channel still makes sense and is realistic!

Allowing the Vikings to settle America early wouldn't really be good for civ's historicalness. RFC can only simulate civilizations which represent a unified force. A Viking civ with early colonies all over the world all working together as one power would just be too powerful, and wouldn't be true to history. I'm certain that the Vinland settlement was barely even in contact with mainland Scandinavia, let alone working together with all Viking settlements everywhere!

The Vinland settlement did have contact with mainland Scandinavia through Iceland. Icelanders exported milk products for Native American fur and that's all I know for sure. I don't doubt though that resources from the area were sent to Norway or Denmark. The settlement didn't last long (100-150 years) but it did exist. That is fact.

I was the starter of the Scandinavian/Viking thread and I'm fighting for a total reformation of the "Viking civilization".
I want it to be a Scandinavian civilization (in the epic game) with the leaders Margaret I, our greatest queen and leader and Canute, our greatest Viking and general.

And Rhye, I haven't seen a "Viking" Denmark once in my games...and I've played them many. I've seen Reykjavik (Icelandic city, founded 870) founded by Vikings and I have seen a Vinland settlement, too. All I want to change is Ragnar's name (to Canute), the name of the civ (to Scandinavia) and to make the Scandinavian civilization start with a settler in Denmark!

I have seen the Vikings settle Denmark a few times. I do agree that we should see it more often though.

I have had fun as the English in some games settling there and try to exoand my culture throughout the continent that way :)

Top Bottom