1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RFC Classical World

Discussion in 'RFC mod-mod: Classical World' started by srpt, Dec 8, 2011.

1. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Artacoana should be Greek Alexandria Ariana (Yes, yet another Alexandria for the city name maps).

Edit: Also, the city name for Malta should be Punic Maleth, Greek Melitte, and Latin Melita.
    2nd Edit: Lavapuri should be Greek Labokla.
    3rd Edit: Begram and Kapisa are the same city; Kapisa is the ancient/medieval name, while Begram is modern. The Begram city name spots should be replaced by Kapisa (which should be removed from its present spots, seeing as how those tiles are completely worthless to settle).

2. Crossphazer

Crossphazer King

Some settler map and pre placed city changes will have to occur regarding Begram/Kapisa, although you are right. Do you have a suggestion for a city name we could replace one of the two with?

edit: I'm seeing a lot of "OP Gaul" in the 320 BC starts I run (I choose East Rome, to see how the AI peforms. A few catastrophic failures around 150BC-100AD where Gaul overwhelms Italy. I've always thought Roman growth abroad should be accompanied by free legions in Rome, but there are many other options, of course)

3. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Agreed. Gaul invariably takes Saguntum early on, then the rest of Iberia once Carthage collapses, giving them a significant buff. The Romans never attack them.

4. srpt

srpt Deist

there was a bug in the shrine calculation. it wasn't supposed to be maximum 5g.

it works like this now:

if the shrine religion is your state religion, you get 1 gold per 2 cities, max 20

other wise 1 gold per 3 cities, max 10

city name changes made

gave Saguntum walls and took away 2 of the Celts starting Gallic Warriors

yes workers are limited to 12. desperation move after watching some AI civs build insane stacks of workers.
    completely missed this. I'll look into it tonight
    I agree. I tried them last night and although I did achieve the conquest goal my economy was in ruins. spent a long time getting Crop Rotation for the rice. I think I will give them Crop Rotation at spawn and make Cho-ko-nus cheaper.

5. Kartoffelvampir

Kartoffelvampir Chieftain

I managed to win the Roman Empire UHV, through with more luck than skills:

Roman Empire 100 AD.jpg

The first UHV was by far the most difficult. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to deal with Hannibal: When I attack to early, he will simply overrun Italy, when I have an Army big enough to deal with him, there is no time left for the eastern half of the mediterrean, and I will propably have to deal with those nasty Parthian Horse-Archers to conquer Syria. I got lucky, the Carthagians lost all except 2 Cities to Barbarians, which i managed to conquer in a single turn. This way I didn't have to defeat the Army in Italy.

The last was pretty easy in comparison, you will have a huge production from all those slaves you get. If you manage to avoid economic collaps (which is easy by getting money from city-conquest), you will simply overrun your opponents (Rome produced a legion in 2 turns in the end). The UHV is marked victorius the moment you control all provinces, and not in 125AD, so maybe the text should say "until 125AD" and not "in 125AD"?

Making Rome the biggest city ist certainly doable, I won with a city-size of 11 (I settled 10 slaves in there.) Like above, I got lucky here: the 2nd biggest City (apart from those I controlled) was the Vietnamese Capitel, which most have lost 2 since 50AD, when I checked the worldbuilder to see if I still have a a chance to win.

6. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

The Han AI is willing to make resource trades that are far too liberal- they will trade as many as 3 or 4 resources for a single one back.

Edit: Pelusion should be Hebrew "Sin".

7. Crossphazer

Crossphazer King

Yeah, the Han AI used to not want to trade silk, which is needed for several UHVs, but now it's the opposite. Also good job Kartoffelvampir, that's quite an empire! Yeah, there is still balance work needed to be done on Carthage to make it more fair and to make it more challenging without the AI "cheating" with Hannibal's stack.

edit: Cappadocia and Syria should be stable for the Ptolemids. Also Ptolemids have 0 gold to start.

8. srpt

srpt Deist

yes great work Kartoffelvampir. I'm pleased to know its doable.

gave the Han Crop Rotation and made Cho-ko-nus cheaper than Archers rarher than more expensive as they were.

what do you think should be done with Carthage? I have never really had a problem with Hannibal. he always took at least one city but the rest of the Carthaginian empire could be crippled in one attack so it didn't really matter.
    fixed
    done

I don't think Seleukia/Ctesiphon should be Bagdhad since that was a new city and wasn't founded til after the Abbasid takeover. I will call it Tisfun unless someone knows better.

9. Crossphazer

Crossphazer King

While Baghdad was a new city, it eclipsed Ctesiphon after the rise of the Arabs/muslims. Seleukeia (or Seleucia, but "Seleukia" is erroneous) was not "renamed" to Ctesiphon: Ctesiphon was founded beside Seleukeia, much like how Baghdad was.

edit: Gauls still overwhelming southern France and Spain despite the nerf. Roman military is quite small, at one or two units per city.

10. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Some Chinese city names for Central Asia:
    Code:
    "Turpan" : "Jushi",
    "Karasahr" : "Yanqi",
    "Kara-khoja" : "Gaochang",
    "Almaliq" : "Alimali",
    "Karbagatay" : "Tacheng",
    "Khotan" : "Yutian",
    "Kashgar" : "Sulei",
    "Balsaghun" : "Balashagun",
    You might also want to put a Tocharian/Independent city name map with the default names so they don't stay like that the rest of the game.

Also, Khujand should be Persian Cyropolis and Greek Alexandreia Eschate.

11. Crossphazer

Crossphazer King

@DC123456789 there is an "independent" city name map

12. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Okay then, let me reword my sentence:

Those cities should be added to the Independent city name map, and the Tocharians should use it.

Also, a few more things:
    "Liao-tung" should be Korean "Asadal"
    "Liao-hsi" should be Korean "Jinpyeong" (those two should be the Chinese names)
    "Min Yue" should be "Dongye" (Min Yue was the kingdom, Dongye the city; Fuzhou as the Chinese name is fine)
    "Samarkand" should be Chinese "Samaerhan"
    "Buchara" should be Chinese "Buhe"

13. Crossphazer

Crossphazer King

Tocharians using the Independent city name map is a quick fix.

Or we can just make a new group and put the Tocharians, Kushans and other central-Asian steppe civs in one group (Turko-Mongolian i.e. Altaic).

14. Kartoffelvampir

Kartoffelvampir Chieftain

Crippling Carthage doesn't do it if he conqueres your core-provinces, which means defeat:

Hannibal_1.jpg Hannibal_3.jpg Hannibal_2.jpg

The first picture was taken the same turn I declared war. It catched me by surprise (which is why theres just 1 unit in every city), but even with 2-3 in each city he could have conquered Rome AND Pompeji.

The second picture was the turn after that: Before I was able to do anything, he conquered 2 Cities. After that, I conquered Carthage, but it was to late: in the third picture I've been defeated.

Maybe he shouldn't spawn the same turn you declare war , or in nothern instead of southern Italy, or loss a bunch of troops when you conquer Carthage.

15. Sitalkas

Sitalkas Prince

I have a problem with the new svn repository..

I downloaded the latest regular mod and extracted it in the mods folder. The created RFC Classical World folder has a red exclamation mark and when I right click it, it already has the option to svn update it. It doesn't ask me to set the desired repository. Then when I relocate the old url with the new and update the mod, it says that the mod is in revision 78, while the new repository says 15 ...

please help me!

16. Crossphazer

Crossphazer King

Have you tried downloading the mod from the new SVN from scratch? That should fix it. It seems like you have a .svn folder from the previous repository, which is why nothing is working right.

17. Sitalkas

Sitalkas Prince

I deleted the old RFCCW before downloading the new version, where would this .svn folder exist?

nah, I downloaded from the link in the first page and then I tried to update but then there was no option to "SVN checkout"

18. srpt

srpt Deist

re: Hannibal. the point is to force the the Roman player to spend some resources protecting his cities. if you have a couple of legions in each city you would do better. I nerfed the stack a little anyway and took southern Italy off the list.

re: new svn. I wish I could be more helpful but all I can say is delete and start again.

got most of those city name changes in

19. Crossphazer

Crossphazer King

Don't download anything from the link. Instead, use SVN (turtoise-SVN?) in your right-click menu to do a checkout of the files from the new repo.

20. Sitalkas

Sitalkas Prince

I have to download because I deleted the previous folder :/

there is a .svn folder in the latest regular download folder, but when I extract it, it gets lost.. weird!

how can I change the repository url? I try : right click-> tortoise svn -> relocate and when I paste the new url I get an error message ..