RFC Classical World

Well I am not sure if it is actually dead, I think that Srpt simply cannot find the time required to develop the mod more!

I wanted to find and include all Greek great people names, but I too am so busy with my job right now that I don't have the time to do so. And when I have some free time I prefer relaxing and going out rather than developing mods!

whenever i start this game the font doesnt appear. and i can not start the game through the usual way. i have to open a map directly from the file. and i cant see the font in the game also..

i use german civ4. does anyone know what to do?

Hello! every bodey, I am a new member of this forum, but an old casual player of CIV IV and RFC mod and mod mods.
First a big thanks to the developers for this awsom mod, that I just started to play with.

Second, I have encountered a problem with Arab first UHV (550 AD start) that I beleive, no one in the forum encountered before (please correct me if I am wrong, but I really looked). The problem is that, despite havin conquered all the needed provinces (all are checked in the victory conditions screen) the first UHV is not checked and is actually marked as "failed" after 750 AD.

WHat do you think could be the reason?

Well I am not sure if it is actually dead, I think that Srpt simply cannot find the time required to develop the mod more!

I'm also sure he will be back again :)
Stuff like that happens to many modders, I guess :mischief:

I'm also sure he will be back again :)
Stuff like that happens to many modders, I guess :mischief:

precisely!

By the way, I am preparing my RFCCW modmod, I would like to include a Greek city states civ alongside the Scythians..

I have lots of things on mind to include and to change, from civics to units to stability.. But I am also busy with my job right now and I only keep notes of what to do and how to slowly start creating my mod!

stay tuned!

What is the best and most stable start date in this mod? I'm always suspicious of mods with lots of start dates because you can never tell which one is the most tested.

precisely!

By the way, I am preparing my RFCCW modmod, I would like to include a Greek city states civ alongside the Scythians..

I have lots of things on mind to include and to change, from civics to units to stability.. But I am also busy with my job right now and I only keep notes of what to do and how to slowly start creating my mod!

stay tuned!

Yes! I would love to play it.

Is this mod dead? Is there any ongoing development on it? There are so many issues with this mod, that it would be sad to see it finished half done.

hey fellas. sorry it's been so long. I got burnt out on modding and then played a lot of Victoria II and EU IV.

lately I have done some work on this though so I thought I should share my new version. you can get it here for now. (can someone confirm it works?) I couldn't get sourceforge to work today and I didn't feel like dealing with svn.

there are a couple of new leaderheads, maybe some new unit art (can't remember), some bug fixes and balance changes etc, the force limit thing is gone (it wasn't achieving what it was supposed to and it was buggy). the split of Christianity into it's various branches is working as far as I can tell. sorry there's no changelog.

I see there are some recent bug reports so I will look into those as soon as I can.

it's nice to see people are still interested in this.

edit: got the svn up to date

hey fellas. sorry it's been so long. I got burnt out on modding and then played a lot of Victoria II and EU IV.

lately I have done some work on this though so I thought I should share my new version. you can get it here for now. (can someone confirm it works?) I couldn't get sourceforge to work today and I didn't feel like dealing with svn.

there are a couple of new leaderheads, maybe some new unit art (can't remember), some bug fixes and balance changes etc, the force limit thing is gone (it wasn't achieving what it was supposed to and it was buggy). the split of Christianity into it's various branches is working as far as I can tell. sorry there's no changelog.

I see there are some recent bug reports so I will look into those as soon as I can.

it's nice to see people are still interested in this.

edit: got the svn up to date

Welcome back! :cool:

Lol, was exactly the same for me, although with EU3 back then :lol:
Vicky 2 is an evergreen though (actually I even did some modding on that one)
Welcome back!

EDIT: My previous post above seems to be even more on the point than I originally thought so :)

thanks for the good wishes

svn 270 is up

Changelog
-added a peak in Cappadocia and 2 hills in Judea for aesthetic reasons
-moved the 3rd Antigonid goal (control 7 wonders) to 125BC from 70BC since it was quite easy
-increased the Seleucids and Ptolemies chance to research Monarchy to give the Antigonids a challenge for their 2nd goal (1st to research Monarchy)
-removed the "Tribute" process (a weaker version of Wealth) since it looked awkward and it was really there so early civs that had maxed out their Force Limit would have something to build and the Force Limits are out
-changed the names and/or effects of the Granary Fishery and Harbor, removed the Stockyard. now: Granary, requires a grain resource, +50% food storage, Harbor, +1 food in sea tiles, Lighthouse, +50% trade route yield. to me this more intuitive and matches the art better.
-lowered Farm food to +1 since there seems to be too much food on the map compared to the happiness caps
-overall tech speed slightly increased

I'm going to play through the mod in order and balance as I go. these are my thoughts on the Antigonids:
I think the Antigonids are balanced, fun and not too hard, perfect for the 1st civ. The first goal, build a Palace in Pella by 250BC, is probably impossible without slaves, which is a great introduction to that mechanic. In my game I almost had to raze Byzantion to get it done. The second goal, 1st to Monarchy, does not seem hard. I had to hire many mercenaries early on so my tech rate was low and I still got it. (This was with the Seleucids and Ptolemies set to value Monarchy at twice the normal rate. As noted above, that's been increased) The mercenaries module worked great. All the offered mercs were plausible and not OP. The third goal required taking Babylon from the Seleucids, Alexandria and Diospolis from Egypt and Athens from Rome. It was fun to win on the same turn you attack Rome. the barbarian pressure in this game seemed just right, a trickle at first and then gradually increasing.

On the down side you could say the choice of units and buildings was a bit limited and tech overall seemed slow. I did raise the tech speed. Part of the lack of unit selection is not having Archers. I know it seems a bit of a stretch to not give them Archery but the tech is really meant to portray a civ that has specialized a bit in producing professional or semi-professional archers. they have access to mercenary archers, which is historic. another odd thing was that Carthage never had anything to trade. I will look into that.

looking at the replay most things were ok. many cities changed hands between their starting owners (mostly Qin and Seleucids) and the indys a few times. the oddest thing was that the Mauryans never did their Sungan transition, so I will have to look into that.

What is the best and most stable start date in this mod? I'm always suspicious of mods with lots of start dates because you can never tell which one is the most tested.

they are all stable and relatively balanced. I recommend playing any civ from the latest possible map. I have not really tried to balance the auto-play over the whole timespan. the early civs have recieved the most attention and are the most complete and balanced.

I have encountered a problem with Arab first UHV (550 AD start) that I beleive, no one in the forum encountered before (please correct me if I am wrong, but I really looked). The problem is that, despite havin conquered all the needed provinces (all are checked in the victory conditions screen) the first UHV is not checked and is actually marked as "failed" after 750 AD.

WHat do you think could be the reason?

Sicily is a requirement and is missing from the victory screen. I will fix it.

svn 271

-Arab UHV help text fixed
-Catapults now cost the same as a heavy Spearman
-Woodland now has a -25% defense penalty to reflect the chance of ambush, on hills it balances to 0. this is a change I actually made a long time ago and forgot to mention. ancient armies did not hide in the woods to anything like the degree they do in Civ.
-War Elephants now get +25% vs cav and missile cav. always to have them that way, don't know why or when it changed
-when you raze a city for the slaves, the slaves now spawn with no movement points, as other slaves

Seleucid game:
much harder than the Antigonids. I've reached the 1st goal (Alexander's empire) in 184BC, 4 years to spare, after a couple of reloads, one due to Pontus resettling Ancyra after I'd razed it and another when I razed Epidamnos and triggered a major crisis. I did manage to raze Pelousion and Berenike without mishap. when I got indy Samarkand with no siege and found it with 5 spearmen and walls I lured some of the spearmen out with slaves as bait and got the defense down to 2 of them before attacking. I wouldn't have taken it in time otherwise.

The AI was not exactly threatening but was not a walkover either. the Antigonids sent an attacking force that drew off some of my forces and almost derailed the 1st UHV and the reason I needed to draw out the indy spearmen in Samarkand was losses I'd taken fighting Bactria's starting Hetairoi.

-Woodland now has a -25% defense penalty to reflect the chance of ambush, on hills it balances to 0. this is a change I actually made a long time ago and forgot to mention. ancient armies did not hide in the woods to anything like the degree they do in Civ.

The last sentence does make sense, but it doesn't make sense that the attacking unit gets an "ambush bonus". (the defending unit gets a penalty, but that is more or less a bonus for the attacker) You can set up an ambush in your territory (the tile you stand on), but you can't set up an ambush in the territory you are about to enter.

this change means the advantage goes to the attacker ie the one with initaitive. I think this makes some sense. what doesn't make sense is an army hop-scotching across foreign territory taking advantage of what are basically fortresses scattered across the land. bare hills still provide this function in a more limited way and that limitation is better for the game imo. if you have time to prepare-an-ambush ie fortify, the penalty is negated. maybe it's possible to make the fortification bonus conditional on terrain, but then the AI would have no idea. or perhaps it could be conditional on tile ownership. with this change I have already had more important battles out in the open because it wasn't possible to approach cities via defensible terrain, and I really like this change so far.

another change I may make is to reduce the movement speed of most units and increase road speed to X3. the reason for this is the many, many instances where units path off the road while taking the shortest path to a destination. I have always found this irritatingly unrealistic. if I did this I would probably add some more pre-placed roads to the early maps.

Top Bottom