RFCEurope: Latest Beta 4

The problem is, I didn't have any problems with Arabia. So I can't realy check it. Personally, I don't think there are problems. The changes I made are mostly removing unused "tags" and if the art file of a building or unit doesn't work, you'll get a red bowl. So I don't think it's that caused the problem.

I'm afraid the only way to test my changes is that I commit all changes, and you'll have to check if it's working. :(

I'm afraid the only way to test my changes is that I commit all changes, and you'll have to check if it's working. :(

The Art would crash in mid game for me. In the case of Arabia you would get a "Choose Tech" screen on start. Are you sure you never got that in the old version?

Anyway, I will check it tonight.

BTW, what are the "unused tags". The XML reads all the tags. Do you mean you are removing unused units like the Tagmata? In that case, you should sync that with const.py (this contains a list of the Units in the XML file in the order that they appear). Also make sure that there are no references to this unit type anywhere else in Python (removing the Catholic Scriptorium was the thing breaking the Reformation).

As for the city list, there are no city lists. Well they kind of exist but they are referenced only if you found a city very far from your own territory (and that means found not just conquer) so city lists are kind of pointless. There is only city name map and you can edit that one if you want (post the edited version here and I will include it).

Yeah I know
But if the city map is not very well developed or far from complete - which is the case IMO with the Hungarian one, then you quite a few times found cities which are not on it. And then of course the game chooses a name from the actual city list, which has Utica, Thapsus, Kerkouane, Sicca, etc. in the first few places.
I had Utica in all of my games, and it doesn't sound very nice for Hungary :eek:
IIRC if you don't like the spot for Belgrade/Nandorfehervar, and you raze it and settle an adjacent tile, or just expand into Bulgarian or Austrian territory, you get a city from the list
I can easily rename them as I'm hungarian, but I remember reading a few comments about this earlier by other forum members too...

So I plan to update the city name map, but also write a city list with unused hungarian cities (like it's done for Spain and some other civs), if occasionly someone settle outside that map

EDIT: Checking the city map right now, and I was wrong about Nandorfehervar. Anyway, my point stands still, I would like to expand it a little (and change a few names if you don't mind)
I have to change only the RFCEmaps.py file, or are the name stored somewhere else too?

EDIT: Checking the city map right now, and I was wrong about Nandorfehervar. Anyway, my point stands still, I would like to expand it a little (and change a few names if you don't mind)
I have to change only the RFCEmaps.py file, or are the name stored somewhere else too?

RFCEmaps is the file with pre-defined city names. You will have to edit that one with all the names that you want. If a name is not listed, the code takes it from the XML, which was never edited/updated. The Carthaginians from RFC were originally used as a template for Hungary, hence the Carthaginian city names. You can just post a list of names here and I will add them to the XML.

The Art would crash in mid game for me. In the case of Arabia you would get a "Choose Tech" screen on start. Are you sure you never got that in the old version?

Anyway, I will check it tonight.

BTW, what are the "unused tags". The XML reads all the tags. Do you mean you are removing unused units like the Tagmata? In that case, you should sync that with const.py (this contains a list of the Units in the XML file in the order that they appear). Also make sure that there are no references to this unit type anywhere else in Python (removing the Catholic Scriptorium was the thing breaking the Reformation).

Do you mean things like this. (post 17 http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=373723)

The term tag is wrong. (I don't know the proper name.) I just see that I used a wrong link. (Proper link: http://rfceurope.svn.sourceforge.ne..._RFCE_UnitPedia.xml?r1=473&r2=472&pathrev=473) I mean all the red area of the carrack for instance.

You can change the pedia as much as you want. Adding/removing Units and Buildings can cause trouble with consts.py, text cannot cause those crashes (unless you are using improper characters in Python city name maps).

When you see the tech screen in the beginning of the autorun, a Python module or two crashes. You may be able to restart some of them with Alt-Tab, but there is no guarantee that all of them are restarted properly. If a Python module fails, the game goes on, but there is no guarantee that it is working properly (the Reformation bug was one example, people could still play, but the entire game is broken). Furthermore, many of the modules that were crashing were actually Firaxis modules, I wasn't familiar with those and I had no way of fixing them or predicting their effect on the rest of the game. The Muslim bug was a big issue, I couldn't trace it back to any of our code so I couldn't even begin to fix it.

What characters can I use in the python city maps? Only characters of the english alphabet?

About that muslim bug: you said zipzapzup also modified a python file
And he was working on improving the pope's role in the game
So this means he probably modified a couple things regarding the islamic nations too (holy wars, etc)
I didn't check the code, so it may be coincidence, but there is a good chance that something caused it there (especially since you checked so many things)

There was some issue in Python with special characters like umlaut or something like that (I don't remember I wasn't doing name maps at the time). English is fine, I am not sure what other character the Hungarian alphabet uses.

I didn't see any crucial changes in zipzapzup's files, his changes were merged already and they were mostly bugfixes. I don't know where the problem was, I don't think it is in anything merijn_v1 did and I am not trying to point fingers or anything. If I knew where the bug was, I would have simply fixed it. Since I don't know (and I don't think anyone else knows), I am simply asking for extra precautions.

Hungarian alphabet uses á, é, ó and similar modified vowels.
No umlauts or something really unusual, but still not the most common characters
I guess I will test them out

You can change the pedia as much as you want. Adding/removing Units and Buildings can cause trouble with consts.py, text cannot cause those crashes (unless you are using improper characters in Python city name maps).

I don't add or remove buildings/units etc. I only change them. I leave adding and removing to you guys.

The only problem that left is when the autoplay starts, I get in the technology advisor screen. Should I upload all changes anyway? I forgot to check if I had the problem with revision 504, but I'm afraid it's still in that revision.

I don't add or remove buildings/units etc. I only change them. I leave adding and removing to you guys.

The only problem that left is when the autoplay starts, I get in the technology advisor screen. Should I upload all changes anyway? I forgot to check if I had the problem with revision 504, but I'm afraid it's still in that revision.

No, don't upload to the SVN.

Make a copy of the XML folder and post it here. I will take a look at what is causing the problem. I want to solve this.

The paths in the art files seem to be wrong, but I have the updated FPK.

EDIT: The problem isn't in the FPK. (Not 100% sure, but >99%)

EDIT2: Most of the XML changes I made again are the reverse of revision 504. (Actually, almost all of them. Only the art-XML of the units are a little bit difference. I deleted even more unused sections. ("Tags" in one of my previous posts;)))

Hungarian alphabet uses á, é, ó and similar modified vowels.
No umlauts or something really unusual, but still not the most common characters
I guess I will test them out

Well, á and é don't seem to fit, because the végvár appears "vÑgv6r"

new, correct city names for hungary would be much appreciated! =)

Attachments

• Nova imagem.JPG
    Nova imagem.JPG
    290.1 KB · Views: 106
Well, á and é don't seem to fit, because the végvár appears "vÑgv6r"

new, correct city names for hungary would be much appreciated! =)

I've got those names from an other mod, but I'll look at it.

The paths in the art files seem to be wrong, but I have the updated FPK.

EDIT: The problem isn't in the FPK. (Not 100% sure, but >99%)

EDIT2: Most of the XML changes I made again are the reverse of revision 504. (Actually, almost all of them. Only the art-XML of the units are a little bit difference. I deleted even more unused sections. ("Tags" in one of my previous posts;)))

EUREKA: I found it. The art for the China CHOKONU is used by the Islamic Civs and it shouldn't have been removed. I am adding the changed files right now.

The moral of the story for everyone:

First: The size and complexity of the game is so large that we can never predict where and when a bug in one place may affect another. We should never assume that a bug is "small".

Second: We should never add things to the svn when we know they don't work. Of course we all make mistakes, we should just be careful in testing what we submit. If you are not sure about something, post it on the forum for me and/or someone else to fix first before we add it to the svn.

PS I don't want anybody to misunderstand me. I have created more bugs in the code than any other person, and that is because I made more code than anyone else. The only way to avoid mistakes 100% is to avoid making code altogether (and then we will have no mod). I just want to keep the svn as clean as possible at all times and submit things that we are pretty sure work fine.

Things that are fixed fro Beta 5:

- Fixed the Papal culture bug.
- Fixed Venetian UHV
- Moved Hungarian and Kievan spawn dates to more historical dates. They were done this way int he first place because Cordoba used to spawn around the same time and we shouldn't have nations spawning too close to each other.

hmm this didnt happen for me, but this did. Not sure if its a general civ spawn bug but it differs from regular rfc: what happened was I sent a settler with archer through bynzatine levant (soon to be mine: arabic) thinking I could get a quick settler out. A maceman came out of jerusalem to attack me, and didnt get converted when the cities flipped. He subsequently took Tyre.

Attachments

• Arabia Bug.JPG
    Arabia Bug.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 110
hmm this didnt happen for me, but this did. Not sure if its a general civ spawn bug but it differs from regular rfc: what happened was I sent a settler with archer through bynzatine levant (soon to be mine: arabic) thinking I could get a quick settler out. A maceman came out of jerusalem to attack me, and didnt get converted when the cities flipped. He subsequently took Tyre.

The bug that I was talking about never made it into the Beta releases. This was something between us the developers.

At any rate for your bug: Do you have a savegame. I cannot fix bugs like that, I need a savegame to test things. You can post a savegame even from the autoruns (couple of turns before Arabia spawns). They will be in My Games\Beyon the Sword\Saves\Single\auto

Top Bottom