Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded - PART II

Actually in my current game (Clash oF Empires, which is _mostly_ Rhye's on a standard world map), Democratic Republic, despite no support + 3gold/unit, I can research computers in 4 turns and make 144 extra gold/turn.

With communism, same 4 turns, and 85 gold/turn. Fascism is a bit less though I admit pop loss might have something to do with it. Constitutional Monarchy comes in 2nd place, with 4 turns and 104 gold/turn.

So yes, 3 gold/turn seems harsh, but you make so much money it's worth it unless you have a HUGE army.

This is what I like about RoC/CoE though - most of the governments are still valid options all the way to the late game. It's not merely Democracy VS fascism...

Communism gets extremely good once you start getting huge continent sized empires. It really is overpowered then.

About dogpiles. They can be an issue sometimes, but not always. Its fairly easy to stay out of them if you either keep a strong army or always give in to demands. Its never worth it to have a war over what some country demands. It usually ends up that one of the major powers gets killed, Germany and Russia seem to be the most frequent.

Actually the reason not to give in to demands in general is that when you do you're more likely to be bullied again...
In my current Carthage game Rome demanded 30 gold*...
So I conquered Italy.
Now I'm almost done with Egypt, and then I'll turn on my old friend Portugal because I need the Coal (buying it at 35p/t from Germany isn't my preference). ^^

*I had a couple thousand, even way back then

Hello,

Certainly Democratic Republic is difficult, but that is more realistic, too ;)

But also AI normally chooses the Democracy during times of Peace, but definitivly peace is always over from the invention of radio and the ability the share the communication partners. It is always amazing how fast AI is building Alliances and afterwards starts to cheat each other ;)

In some games I try to stay out of this business and in some games I just join the party
(that is normally the case when it would not rip me, that soon after France declared war on me, I am also in war with Maya, China and Zulu and that England (Furs), Japan (Silks) and America (Tobacco) join some trade embargo against me. It takes really too long times to take Louisana, Liverpool and the Phillipines just to have the same situation like before ;) )

But I definitivly like how AI-Civs are equalling the levels of development in this way. During Mid-Age the differences of the Civs are really huge and it is very difficult to find potential trading partners and customers to sell tech. But after Radio ... trade loves war it seems..

The thing is, that when everyone has a max Anarchy of two turns, a gov't that's great for peacetime and impossible for prolonged or massive war is still a good gov't... You can always switch to ConMon or Fasc or Comm :)D) if you need to have a serious fight...
I admit I myself still haven't gotten used to the fact that I can switch gov'ts all the time, but I haven't really played many games since we added that... I did once switch to a more peaceful gov't to build infrastructure between conquests, in my Germany game (the one where I'm an enormous Communist empire now.) I guess I still have a way to go...

Thanks for the comments, everyone. It has been my first full game.

Yes, I also like the 2 -turn turnaround, so governments can be 'customized'. I have a large empire and army, and so for me it seems that Democratic Republic is too expensive. I switched to it, and had to immediately switch back!

Narmox, I don't think of my army as 'huge' but its probably becaused I'm used to regular Conquests where we get used to churning out zillions of troops. I do need the big army because I have so many borders, so maybe staying on (Absolute) Monarchy really is best for me in this game.

Gunner, I still think dogpiles are a problem going the other way now. I had a comfortable lead, my biggest enemy was England. Last game, they would have dogpiled me. But now I know the trick. Start by getting backward Civ's to join an alliance by giving them Techs. Then move up to stronger Civ's. I was able to get about 15 Civ's to declare war on England. So, I've learned how to reverse the dogpile 'problem' and now it may be a dogpile 'exploit'. Problem is, if I don't dogpile England, England will Dogpile me!

Best wishes,

Breunor

Hello, I've been trying to download this modpack for the past day, but unfortunately I have a crappy dial-up connection and a slow computer.... Whenever I'm in the middle of downloading this file, NetZero automatically turns off for "safety reasons." Is here any way I can download this quicker, or figure out a way to turn off this safety thing? Thank you.

Hello all!

I will be picking up my copy of Civ3 again after selling it. So that I can test and tweak RHYE's great mod!

CivKingTroy

AKA
----
HeartOfTroy
Tacfun
KingOfCiv

LOL!

CivKingTroy said:
Hello all!

I will be picking up my copy of Civ3 again after selling it. So that I can test and tweak RHYE's great mod!

CivKingTroy

AKA
----
HeartOfTroy
Tacfun
KingOfCiv

LOL!
please clarify: you sold your copy of Civ3 to buy it back?

the100thballoon said:
@Rhye
Did you request to be in that magazine or do they just recognize sheer genius when they see it?

I asked to include the mod in their mod download zone, and they instead decided to make a review out of it, too.

p.s. please ask your questions here rather than by pm as my box is pretty full

CivKingTroy said:
Hello all!

CivKingTroy

AKA
----
HeartOfTroy
Tacfun
KingOfCiv

LOL!

Oooooh, welcome back! :D
You've been missing since last autumn, so you've been left behind to basic RoC.
Have a look at the expanded and let us know what you think!

Yes, I did sell my old copy for money at the time. Yes I was stupid to do it!!! :(

Rhye, thanks for welcoming me back! I love that you kept some of my forum posts as high-lights..heh. I will pick up CivIII Complete in a couple days. Im trying to find a good price on it. Rhye please tell me they hired you to work on civ4? If not they are making a HUGE mistake!

Thanks all,

CivKingTroy

Update...Might be a bit longer...I just bought Gary Grigsby's "World at War"! OMG...I have been waiting for a game like this all my life!!! The new era of AXIS&ALLIES ...Same great fun but more complex, yet easy to play and turn based with great graphics!!!

CivKingTroy

Ah, thanks. I know I used CivIII Gold + Conquest and it use to work! Thanks for telling me that! Does anyone know if it will work?

CivKingTroy

Rhye said:
I'm not sure Civ III Complete will work.
Civ III + Conquests, the standard combo, is the only one certified :)

Civ III Complete definitely works - it is just a box with Civ3 and C3C... It is local language versions that probably does not work.

Just Dled this nice mod !

*edit* hehe info on cattle and game lack tech req

anyways good work :goodjob:

Blasphemous said:
Actually the reason not to give in to demands in general is that when you do you're more likely to be bullied again...

Well, it really depends on what country you are playing and what type of game you are playing. I prefer the approach Aeon has talked about, realistic historical expansion. It really just seems like more fun to me when I don't conquer the world during the Middle Ages.

For that reason I usually give in to demands, at least early on, because I try to expand peacefully. Also, if you are a techbroker then a war is almost certainly unprofitable, even if its just against one person. Having more than 2 people declare war on you when you are a techbroker will destroy your economy completely. The best example of this was my Dutch game where I only had 2 cities in Europe, yet about 20 overall.

The problem is once you give in, others will come knocking, and if you keep giving in you'll end up giving your rivals valuable stuff...

Top Bottom