Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Broke hand, playing as China (VERY SLOWLY CUZ OF BROKEN HAND :p)

have not seen much of the new cool ship stuff, but can say that China is a great play, recommend list as easy.

I've just complete a game using this mod. The loading and waiting
time is acceptable even on my slow computer (C1.2G, 512M SDRAM).
The new graphics and rules are good.

A little suggest: the Europe is still too small. Many famous
cities lack space to grow. 170*170 is quite large, more larger map
will cause much more waiting time. A possible solution is not
using the whole world map but using a map only contains Europe,
Asia and north Africa. Then Europe will has enough space for cities.

The ancient and middle ages can be historical. The colonizing of America can be simulated as Wonders, e.g. W India company, slave trade.

Rhye said:
As you know I'm not a modern warfare expert, and neither a civ3 modern age-veteran.
I'll keep out of this discussion. If you all agree that something must be changed in a certain way, tell me.

Rhye,
I do believe that a better upgrade-chain most be made for ships. Your ideas on movements and lanes fits into this.
Let me just play from my mind and see that Destroyers, Carriers, Battleships and Cruisers should have 2 to 3 upgrades from late 1900 century to modern warfare.
Without doubt the upgrade of Cruisers to AEGIS Cruisers is already there I think. The cruiser was ment to a replacement of the Steam/Iron Frigate so why not use Wyrmshadow Armored (monarch) cruiser as a late 1900 century cruiser, then just pick one of the many fine units for a WW2 Heavy Cruiser.

Destroyers are the same. The 4 stacker could do nicely as WW1 DD, then Civ3 DD will develop into modern missile Frigates (O.H.Perry)

Batleships naturally have pre-dreadnaught to Dreadnaught (WW1) and WW2 battleships. These have many top units from Vingrjoe and Wyrmshadow.
If one dare a Modern Battleship could be available to launch cruise missiles,
but then I would more so have the AEGIS Cruiser with that speciality of carrying cruise missiles.

Carriers would be nice to see my example before. Modern Jets just can't land on old WW2 Carriers and Civ3 version is strictly a modern carrier. Add the WW2 Carrier from Conquest.

Firaxis took one step in upgrading the sub so why not take it the full length ?

The specific task they all should have is what makes them all useful.
Carriers of course as I mentioned
Subs in the standard.
Cruisers are the bigger and faster versions of DD and the modern AEGIS will carry them cruise missiles and also provide AA cover for Carriers.
Destroyers should be able to detect subs

I surely missed out on something (firstly what tech they should come in) so I just threw in this for discussion.
Any takers ???

Cemo

mkII said:
I've just complete a game using this mod. The loading and waiting
time is acceptable even on my slow computer (C1.2G, 512M SDRAM).
The new graphics and rules are good.

A little suggest: the Europe is still too small. Many famous
cities lack space to grow. 170*170 is quite large, more larger map
will cause much more waiting time. A possible solution is not
using the whole world map but using a map only contains Europe,
Asia and north Africa. Then Europe will has enough space for cities.

The ancient and middle ages can be historical. The colonizing of America can be simulated as Wonders, e.g. W India company, slave trade.

In truth, I think that the current map is ok. But I consider your idea good for something else.
Some time ago I drew my 134x130 map. A cut of that map that includes Europe, Asia, North Africa, north Atlantic and East America will be probably used for the multiplayer version of RoC (which can contain only 8 players)

I remember Asclepius suggested many things that now I don't remember and that were forgotten. Most of them were about modern ships. I'd like you to find a common line with the others.

cemo1956 said:
should have 2 to 3 upgrades from late 1900 century to modern warfare.

This is the reason. This isn't Rise and Rule, we don't have a 900 turns game with counless techs, but a quite short game (400 turns instead of 550) with a number of techs similar to the original. Post ww2 techs are even fewer, because I shifted right some trees of the timeline!
This means that I can add only something that's strictly necessary. I know there are lot of nice user-made units, but 3 upgrades for some ships would be completely useless. They are more useful for specific scenarios.
Again, I say I cannot enter the debate of what's most important to be added because I haven't the knowledge, but I'm interested in seeing what is/are the most important request/s by most of you.
I'll try to find Asclepius's post

As my work on the civilopedia is over, I'd like to make a summary of the current status (about 50%):

UUs -> nearly completed (some adjustments needed; American UU to be confirmed)
Additional units -> Some change to modern warfare is possible.
Tech tree -> probably completed. I just made a change in the new version I have (0.384)
Wonders -> I can say completed. Some costs adjustments are possible.
Civilopedia -> I wrote everything. I'm waiting for some signal of missing link or grammar mistakes
Graphics -> I'm waiting for 5 wonder graphics from Rufus and the Shifta graphics from anyone.
Governments -> nothing yet
Flavour units -> I've made the scheme of the structure of the units. After all the above steps are completed, I will implement this.
Balancement -> the tech costs are the only thing I have to change.
Readme -> nothing yet.

So, you see what's missing and what's next to do.
I'd like to start the discussion about governments now.

Rhye, for naval units the civilopeda relly MUST include a breakdown of what it costs that vessel to cross each terrain type... I'd say simply have it like this:
Coastal Movement: #
Sea Movement: # or "cannot enter", plus "can sink" where relevant
Ocean Movement: # or "cannot enter", plus "can sink" where relevant
And whenever two or more things are the same you have it as say Sea/Ocean Movement.
Also I recall a few pedia entries being incomplete or screwed up (there was one place where instead of a link you saw like <link=blablabla_prto>. Don't remember where the link was or what it lead to.) Partisan I think was an incomplete entry (something like "Partisan is a" and that's all.)

I also saw some mess ups in civlopedia. I will try to read through the base file sometime today or tomorrow (probably while Im recovering from surgery).

Aegis with CM launches would be cool. Next on the agenda is figuring out how to force comp to build arty and planes.

Asclepius said:
Well, thanks a bunch... :rolleyes: ;)

I didn't remember what the proposals were (because they were too many), but I remember that you made them!

Asclepius said:
When Modern CV appears, Anti Aircraft ship should appear called SAM Destroyer upgrades to AEGIS for the USA.

Sounds interesting. Is SAM destroyer the genieric name? Does it usually carry cuise missiles?

Aeon221 said:
Aegis with CM launches would be cool. Next on the agenda is figuring out how to force comp to build arty and planes.
They do build planes... Admittedly not as much as they could and should, but they use them to an effect. In my last game on RoC 2.62 (as persia) I had a couple bombers shot down by enemy fighters (including the french who had just finished conquering north africa. o_O)
Anyway, I won't be able to continue testing for the next day or two because I have a bad back and I need to rest it (which means not as much computer time as I'd like.) :cry:

while I'm adding the pedia entries
^[Coastal Movement]: {#}
^[Sea Movement]: {#}
^[Ocean Movement]: {#}
^

I found something worth a question:

shouldn't ironclad upgrade upgrade to battleship (being heavy and slow) instead of merging with the other path (frigate to destroyer)?

Rhye said:
Sounds interesting. Is SAM destroyer the genieric name? Does it usually carry cuise missiles?
Yes, it is a generic name but the missiles they carry are Surface-to-Air Missiles. i.e. anti-aircraft.

However, I know you don't like having too many units and a lot of modern destroyers have enhanced anti submarine detection (ASW), anti-aircraft protection (SAM), and "cruise" type missiles (SSM) all on one ship.

So, for game purposes Modern Destroyers can see & attack submarines, shoot down bombers and fire missiles at ships or land targets, combining SAM Destroyers and Cruise Missile Destroyers into one unit.

Ironclads upgrading to BB's is good as long as it is expensive.

This should be the list of governments:

Despotism
Oligarchic Republic
Theocratic Monarchy
Feudal Monarchy
Absolute Monarchy
Constitutional Monarchy
Democratic Republic
Fascism
Communism

I've a doubt on where abs. monarchy should be placed: late middle ages (1600 etc.) like famous European monarchies, or in the ancient times?
Many famous ancient monarchies were theocratic, but what the roman emperors were? Absolute monarchs or despots?

Create an early Communism called Empire with communal corruption :)
Create also a post Communism called Social Democracy !

That's all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom