[R&F] Rise and Fall General Discussion Thread

The wonder vid may come out later today. They haven't been consistent on release time with those (usually drops anywhere from 10AM-2PM EST).

I hope it is Amundsen, since we don't know what it does yet, but ToA is likely since they snuck it in a few times in the past week or two.

Wonders they haven't officially revealed yet:
Amundsen-Scott Polar Research Station
Casa de Contratacion
Kotoku-in (we've seen the details in a livestream though)
Temple of Artemis (we've seen the details in a livestream though)

Jakarta - Indonesia (DLC) - replaced by Bandar Brunei - Brunei (appeared in the Full Details video)
Jerusalem - Hebrews, Israel
Kabul - Afghanistan
(appeared in Korea livestream)

Spotted this and could not avoid thinking: headbanded young guy might be a King David depiction. Shades of blue may fit.

Hebrew and Mapuche may be considered at similar level of controversy-ness (if for different reasons)

Any possibility of suspected Lautaro being other guy?

So Israel and Canada are still in the running for possible Civs. :mischief:

Spotted this and could not avoid thinking: headbanded young guy might be a King David depiction. Shades of blue may fit.
That would be crazy! I'd take it. But it's a small possibility.

Hebrew and Mapuche may be considered at similar level of controversy-ness (if for different reasons)

Any possibility of suspected Lautaro being other guy?
The guy in the portrait doesn't look remotely like the right race for King David. He looks South American to me. I don't think Hebrews/Israel will happen as I suspect that Firaxis will (very wisely) steer clear of that particular thorny issue.

Not to mention that there's precious little actual history (outside the Bible) to be basing a civ around David or Solomon. I mean I guess we have Gilgamesh, but the fewer legendary leaders the better in my book :p

Hmm... Looking at the Pike & Shot, two things immediately popped up in my mind. One was Sweden and the other one was EU4 :p

Hmm... Looking at the Pike & Shot, two things immediately popped up in my mind. One was Sweden and the other one was EU4 :p
I saw Italy. It is a Renaissance Era unit after all.

The guy in the portrait doesn't look remotely like the right race for King David. He looks South American to me. I don't think Hebrews/Israel will happen as I suspect that Firaxis will (very wisely) steer clear of that particular thorny issue.

Might i ask: which characteristics of the small portrait we have make it definitely south american and definitely not hebrew?

To me, it is too blurry to confirm that level of detail, but maybe I miss some detail.

Not to mention that there's precious little actual history (outside the Bible) to be basing a civ around David or Solomon. I mean I guess we have Gilgamesh, but the fewer legendary leaders the better in my book :p

I wouldn't call the bible more reliable than other sources, but I also don't see how it is less reliable? You sometimes need to do some reading between the lines, but the bible tends to at least portray the people it talks about with a lot more flaws than most sources from ancient and classical times.

I wouldn't mind a significant buff to slingers though, or gain a bunch of gold from building temples. :cool:

As much as I would kill to have the Hebrews playable as an official civ, you are 100% correct that it will never, ever happen.

I wouldn't call the bible more reliable than other sources, but I also don't see how it is less reliable? You sometimes need to do some reading between the lines, but the bible tends to at least portray the people it talks about with a lot more flaws than most sources from ancient and classical times.

Oh sure, but flawed characters are more about good literature than history - Giglamesh has flaws, like all good legendary heroes. And the Bible is approaching the whole United Kingdom period as a golden age, and is interested in portraying a lost glory.

There is an abject lack of other historical evidence for the periods of David and Solomon, and I believe the scant archaeological evidence suggests nothing of the scale described in the Bible - probably a small city state.

That's why, on balance, I wouldn't credit it as being reliable.

I'm not betting on either Israel or Canada making it to Rise and Fall....:p

New leader closeup.png

Does this guy look like an ancient Israelite or a Euro-Canadian to you? :p

Top Bottom