Rise and Rule for Civ3:Conquests

Also looks like they are helpful if you have a very big tech lead... If I'm not mistaken you have Linf Inf while China has some sort of sword or pike in Xianyang...

pillaging/coastal bombardment goodness. England started out being fully roaded, irrigated, and mined
main reason for pillaging every tile I could was to limit their production in addition to cutting off their saltpeter supply. also, getting rid of the roads on the hills near coventry prevented them from leaving york and attacking the same turn, which allowed my navy to severly injure and often out right kill their units. I love the lethal land bombardment of the ship built by that one small wonder. Sadly they have so many garison units I rarely get any of them into even the yellow from bombardment. A few turns after I took this screenshot though I got the tech needed for cavalry (I only had riflemen and leathernecks before that due to no horses) and quickly took a couple cities, which culture flipped the next turn and I had to retake them. I think only london and northern, pop 5, town who's name is covered by the privateer are left and they will fall soon. and york had adam smith's trading in it when I took it, so that helped a ton with expenses. york is pop 3 by the dyes in this pic.

Attachments

• england.JPG
    england.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 1,072
I ran into a few bugs so I quit early to see if anyone else has encountered these. I am running 1.22 and launch it as extended from the scenarios menu.

Harbor - makes no difference for food output of water tiles
Shrine - Was unable to perform sacrifice as described in updated civolopedia.

BkGreatWarnut said:
Also looks like they are helpful if you have a very big tech lead...

Actually, my tech lead was not so big - at this time I was about 6 techs deep in the IA while Chinese were either already in the IA or very close (my closest competitors, Germans, had 3 IA techs)...

If I'm not mistaken you have Linf Inf while China has some sort of sword or pike in Xianyang...

... but I had planned the war carefully. I tricked them to declare war just after I upgraded my Musketmen to Line Infantry, Cuirassiers to Hussars and Explorers to Adventurers, they had some half of their offensive units at my territory and too few time to build some Musketmen (I had bankrupted them before so they could not afford for upgrades).

@mikehunt: impressive, good job :thumbsup: I love Admirals of the Fleet too.

Best regards,

Slawomir Stachniewicz.

Harbors work fine. You need to get out of Chiefdom, though - or the tile penalty will take away the 3rd fpt.
Shrines aren't related in any way to sacrificing; in this case, the Pedia isn't correct.
You are aware how sacrificing works? Especially, you need a captured unit (Slave, AI Worker) for it. Slaves only give 2cpt, so they aren't worth it, btw. And, you need to know Slavery.

Many apologies if this has been asked in the last 5 to 10 pages but...

How do I go about using Snoopy's wonderful terrain in RaR? I've added it to the scenarios folder. Should I be placing the files in the RaR folders?

Once upon a time I wouldn't have had to ask these questions. Sad commentary about age is that technology passes you by like a starship at warp 9.8 :cry:

Dwarven Zerker said:
Many apologies if this has been asked in the last 5 to 10 pages but...

How do I go about using Snoopy's wonderful terrain in RaR? I've added it to the scenarios folder. Should I be placing the files in the RaR folders? (...)

Yes, extracting the files of the terrain mod in the Conquests/scenarios/RaR/Art/terrain folder should do it.

Ioannes said:
I've been reading rumors of 1.04. When is it to be released?

Release is close now.No excact date yet, but the main parts are finished and it is currently tested.I expect it at least within the next one or two weeks.

Great Mod, guys, I love it. Played to the late industrial with China on Monarch in v1.00, and was definetely going to win so I restarted on an Archipelago with Vikings on Emperor with v1.03b and its incredible!

Two things you might be interested in:

1- The only other seafaring civ that was randomly picked was England, and they're a bunch of primitive savages (didn't even have caste system while I was researching Absolutism), BUT the AI has built quite a few boats. I don't see stacks of ten or anything, but groups of 3-4 galeasses are common, and the Aztecs (Rome, Vikings, Aztecs, Iroquois, and Sioux are the major players) have Carraks in the water which harrass me constantly. So in this case, the AI is going fairly naval, although I haven't seen any well-executed landings yet.

2- Also, I saw an AI army with an Imperial guard and a horse archer in it, so they're using that too.

On a personal note, I was at war with the Iroquois for about 300 years and I got them to a beautiful, textbook bottleneck, it was awesome! They were just marching up to my city, getting ruined by six bombards then finished down to one unit by Heavy Cavalry (no stirrups for this guy!) and Berserks. Man! The variety in middle ages pieces (Men-at-arms, totally redundant, but I love it!) and cavalry just colors the game nicely, and I never realized until I got camels imported how much cheaper Mamluks are than Cuirrasier! Nicely done!

Haven't had any problems with installing or anything either, it works fine.

Mr. Dictator said:
what will be different?

- worker strength and AA rating bug are fixed
- UU and government balancing
- some added graphics (units, buildings)
- bigger transport ships after the ancient age
- reworked bombardment for planes
- some more stealth attack units
- dozends of smaller bug fixes, changes for balance and improvements of existing things

Landmonitor said:
1- The only other seafaring civ that was randomly picked was England, and they're a bunch of primitive savages (didn't even have caste system while I was researching Absolutism), BUT the AI has built quite a few boats. I don't see stacks of ten or anything, but groups of 3-4 galeasses are common, and the Aztecs (Rome, Vikings, Aztecs, Iroquois, and Sioux are the major players) have Carraks in the water which harrass me constantly. So in this case, the AI is going fairly naval, although I haven't seen any well-executed landings yet.

AIs naval activity is strongly influenced by "random" factors like their starting position and history in a game.Some build decent fleets, some haven't any ships around in modern times.At least larger-sized invasions will be possible in future, since the transport capacity of ships will get increased with the next patch.

How about adding the Bayeux Tapestry as a new great wonder? Comes with heraldry, grants a free longbowman every X turns, until gunpowder.

Also, can't remember the names, but there is a certain cavalry unit with defence 2 that upgrades later to a cavalry with defence 1.

Finally, please can you fix the motorised infantry so that they are at least superior to their non-motorsed contemporaries?

Greetings all. Had a question about the RAR Mod. I am playing as the Siamese and have noticed that on the Website for RAR that the Siamese are listed as Commercial and Scientific while in the actual game they are listed as Seafairing/Agricultural Which is right? IMO SF/Agr just isnt correct. Sci/Comm makes scence as do Sci/Mil, Rel/Mil,and Comm/Mil. I have studied Siamese (Thai) history and Agr/SF just doesnt seem right IMO.

Haveing said that, I must add that this is the best MOD I have seen, Absolutly amazing!!!

Thanks

rhialto said:
(...) Also, can't remember the names, but there is a certain cavalry unit with defence 2 that upgrades later to a cavalry with defence 1.

It is the Curassier which upgrades to the Hussar.It is a bit unusal, but I don't think that it is inaccurate - the Hussar was light cavary unit with little or no armor in history, while the curassiers were armored with a cuirass.

rhialto said:
Finally, please can you fix the motorised infantry so that they are at least superior to their non-motorsed contemporaries?

MI will have a bigger hp-bonus and will cost less in the next version.

Pratputajao said:
(...) I am playing as the Siamese and have noticed that on the Website for RAR that the Siamese are listed as Commercial and Scientific while in the actual game they are listed as Seafairing/Agricultural Which is right? IMO SF/Agr just isnt correct. Sci/Comm makes scence as do Sci/Mil, Rel/Mil,and Comm/Mil. I have studied Siamese (Thai) history and Agr/SF just doesnt seem right IMO.(...)

Agricultural/Seafaring is correct for RaR; this was changed with Conquests, which introduced the new traits (the info on the website applies to the DyP PTW version).I agree that those traits might be questionable here; in standard epic games the combo is assigned to the Netherlands.They are not in RaR, so this combo was unused in RaR and we tried to repeat at less combos as possible while giving the player the chance to be able to play every combo with a civ.I don't see any civ in RaR which really fits with these traits.

First of all I want to say :thumbsup: and :goodjob:

This mod is a lot of fun to play. I did have a couple questions that I wanted to ask though.

1. I was looking at the bic and noticed that for each luxury there is a "disabled" improvement that creates a "xxx shipment". I see that they are "disabled" until the RaR modders get this working correctly. What is the intended purpose?

2. Is there a thread or forum somewhere where I can browse about and read the deliberations on designing this mod? I'd be very curious to understand some more of the reasons for certain decisions.

Once again. Very good job to all who work on this.

jeffelammar said:
(...) 1. I was looking at the bic and noticed that for each luxury there is a "disabled" improvement that creates a "xxx shipment". I see that they are "disabled" until the RaR modders get this working correctly. What is the intended purpose?

Those buildings were supposed to spawn shipment units, which can be sold in the capital for gold.The reason why they are disabled is a conflict with the SGL option due a bug in the editor - enabling them would mean no more scientific leaders in RaR.There is a workaround for this problem, so we might implement them again in future; however, we want to be sure that there are no sideeffects.

jeffelammar said:
2. Is there a thread or forum somewhere where I can browse about and read the deliberations on designing this mod? I'd be very curious to understand some more of the reasons for certain decisions. (...)

You can find another (sub)forum dedicated to DyP and RaR on CDGs:

http://cdgroup.org/forums/tbs/civ3/index.php?h=1&pf=2

You can also visit the official homepage of the DyP/RaR mod family to read about the philosophy behind:

http://cdgroup.org/forums/tbs/civ3/viewtopic.php?t=244&start=0

And if you are interested, you can also join as betatester, which brings you a bit closer to the ideas behind features and stats in RaR.See this thread:

http://cdgroup.org/forums/tbs/civ3/viewtopic.php?t=244&start=0

And of course, feel free to ask if you have questions and to post suggestions :)

I noticed that the Frigates don't make any noise when they attack or bombard. Earlier in the game, Galleasses and Great Galleasses made a cannon firing noise when attacking or bombarding but one day when I loaded my game, they just made a water swishing noise instead, and I'm not sure why. The Carrack sounds fine, as do the bow and arrow-armed ships, I'll have to see what happens with more advanced ones-- anyone else have this problem?

Landmonitor said:
I noticed that the Frigates don't make any noise when they attack or bombard. Earlier in the game, Galleasses and Great Galleasses made a cannon firing noise when attacking or bombarding but one day when I loaded my game, they just made a water swishing noise instead, and I'm not sure why. The Carrack sounds fine, as do the bow and arrow-armed ships, I'll have to see what happens with more advanced ones-- anyone else have this problem?

Never had such a problem.Some units (for example elephant rider) might have no or incomplete sound files due the fact they weren't included by the creator.Maybe the swishing water sound ist caused by failed bombardment? However, this doesn't explains why it occurs during regular navals fights.

PS: 1000th post...I normally don't count that...but this is an exception, since it is the first forum in which I posted a 1000 times ;)

the combo is assigned to the Netherlands.They are not in RaR, so this combo was unused in RaR and we tried to repeat at less combos as possible while giving the player the chance to be able to play every combo with a civ.I don't see any civ in RaR which really fits with these traits

First please accept my comments as they are meant, I am in not critisizing your effort. The MOD is amazing and I certaintly could not make anything appraoching it. The mod has brought new life to the game!! Now I am not shooting through the ages without any time to enjoy playing in each distinct era. You can actually spend a good amount of time in the Dark ages, Middle ages, Age of reason, Industrial rev, ect... So again, Thank you so much for a top notch effort!

But of cource we all have our "civilization" we gravitate to. I have been making my own "Siamese" out of the Indians since I got the game. I could not understand why they ( Firaxis) didnt Include the Magnificant Bhuddhist kingdom of Siam? The game, as is, is way too heavy with European civs IMO. I am glad you included the Tibetians, Siamese and Polyniesians. HOPEFULLY they will be included into Civ IV...

I can appriciate what you say about wanting to represent every combination present; but really, the Agr/SF is just not apprpriate for this Civ. I will be honest, I dont know what Civ it IS appropriate for, but Siam would be near the last. However I understand what you mean from a gamming stabdpoint. I am speaking historically. As for starting cities The original Siamese capital of Ayuthaya (1350-1767) would be a more appropriate starting capital as Bangkok didnt even become a major city until the 18th centuary and the capital only moved there after the Burmese razed Ayuthaya in 1767. The next 3 cities that would be made from a gamming standpoint are probabaly- Phitsanalok (Considered the 2nd capital) Sukhothai, and then Chiang Mai. But during the Ayuthaya age, most European leaders reocognized the spendor and importance of this city, which was bigger than Paris or London of the same period. Siam traded with most large European contries and almost all Asian countries. In fact Siam had a particularly good relationship with Japan until that country closed all relations with everyone in the 16th centuary ( I think it was the 16th :) ). So close were relations in fact that Siam actually had Samurai Warriors in within their ranks and a Japanese Govenor in Nakornsithammarat. Also, given the fact that Thailand/Siam was NEVER colonized by a European power I think this deffinatly makes Siam as one of the great Civilizations on the planet. I only write this for Ideas for the next upgrade of the Mod ( if there is one?). I would list Siam as Religious/commercial, next options would be Religious/military and Commercial/Military, though I tend to give them the -Religious trait- as Buddhism played a large role in the Kingdom. I hope the advise is of some use as it isnt really easy to find out about Siamese history here (US) I had to get my books in Thailand :D

Thanks!!!

Top Bottom