Rise and Rule for Civ3:Conquests

I downloaded this mod recently, and I must say it owns. I simply love it.
I haven`t read this whole thread, so please forgive me if some of my observations have been allready mentioned.

On the first pages a lot of people said that this mod is much harder. That amazed me, because I found that the AI is having difficulties with it. Especially being unable to mine grassland/lplains seems to hurt it. In my first real game (monarch, 16 civs) I comletely dominate, having 5x as many points than the next civ in mid mediveal. Maybe because I never mined grasslands anyway even in regular civ, so I know how to hanle it. Or maybe i was just lucky.

Anyways, here is what I think about the mod (bear in mind that I am a avarage player at best):
I will start with the few things I didn´t like:

The units in the mediveal age. You can get the cavalier very early, having a 6/2 unit. The top unit of the MA has 6/2 also. I know it is faster, has zoc and def bomb, but still think this is a little disappointing not to get more offensive capability after teching up more than half an age.

Map trading is available late in mediveal. That is principially nice, but what`s the point of delaying it so far if you can steal it after learning writing as one of the first techs at all? By the time I can trade I have stolen all maps three times. Of course it is more comfortable to trade instead of having to steal, but maybe you should consider moving the ability to steal maps further up the tech tree.

The imperial guard uses a musket. That is pretty weird, because you can get these guys centuries before you even discover gunpowder. Maybe you could change the graphics to a more ancient look?

About some changes I am rather uncertain.

Raod movement reduced to two. I saw no need for this change, but I have no problem with it either.

Expiring improvements. A very nice idea, but the need to sell worker housings in 40 or more cities can be annoying. Is there a possibility to remove the upkeep after they expired?

Workers start with the ability to build roads. Probably for balancing purposes, but I still consider it weird. Wasn`t irrigating the first cultural archievement, and roads came much later? But balance goes over accuracy.

No founding in deserts/tundras. I really like the idea, but I dislike the gaps in my empire. (btw, sometimes the AI can settle on tundra, might this be a bug?)

But enough complains, here is what I liked:

Well, where shall I start?
The changed rules for terrain improvements come to my mind. I allways hated mines on grassland, and now they are gone! Hurray! Now the AI and me are on equal terms.

Several second palaces. A really nice idea to strengten your empire.

The restrictions to sailing. I think that captures the difficulties of early seafaring very well (no more suicide currags from turn 1)

The HP boni/mali. A very clever way to emphasize the superior power of more modern units. And it really cracked me up to see my first canoe (which managed to kill 2 barbarian galleys, btw)

Speaking of barbarians, they also are great. Now they are really a thread istead of a mere annoyance. In my first attempt I treated them like I used to in c3c, and got owned. After I checked their stats, I had a whole new respect for them.

The gradually appearing resources. A wonderful idea, who doesn`t like it if there are popping up gems next to your best city? It adds a small bit of luck to city founding which I dislike, but below the line I like the dynamic it provides.

The flavored units. A very nice idea, it really adds a lot of atmosphere. This is clearly something that should have been included in civ3 from the start.

No useless techs. Every tech gives you something, which I really like. I never understood the point of techs like chemistry whichs only purpose seems to be to slow down the tech pace. They way this is handled in your mod is much better. The dark ages are a singe exeption to this, and a very good one. Maybe the cost for this tech could be increased vastly to create a long stop of developement? Just a suggestion.

Slavery. A wonderful idea to make enslave so broadly available. In my game I have like 150 peasants, and I haven`t build a single one myself. It was so much fun to capture them all...

Those were the things I enjoyed the most They aren`t the only ones, but I think I have listed enough.

Two small suggestions at the end of my post.

Maybe the trait specific improvements should give a small amount of culture. The reason is that I think they should be destroyed after the city got conquered. It is a little irritating to have a "wrong" improvement in your city, or the same twice.

And would it be possible to make higher improvements require lower ones to be build? For example, everyone builds the library before the academy, because you get the same benefit for a cheaper price. So this decision is a no-brainer. Making those improvements dependent, you wouldn`t take a decision away from the player. The benefit would be that the menue would be much tidier, so that you wouldn`t have to scroll around so much.

This is just an awesome mod, and i thank the developers for making it.

wow...this mod is amazing. well done

Is this working only with english C3C version? Because I get errors when loading the game. I have french version.

Art/Units/Tribe/Warrior/Warriorrun.amb File not found

Ok, I checked and : yes, it only works with english version, someone SHOULD write it on top before dloading 130 MB.

I will try to rename all folders in english. because the files inside are ALREADY in english. When I renamed "guerrier" to "Warrior" the it didnt appear anymore as an error but the next one: settler not found. Wish me good luck, that is a shame that every mod has to work only with english versions.

2 hours later: every folder is named in english, just to dicover that the INI. file has to be too. Just to spare me all that work maybe someone would be so kind just to mail me the Art/Units folder in english at valeriu18@wanadoo.fr.

The full path is C:\Program Files\Infogrames\Civilization III\art\units

I think it must be only the civ units, not the folder in C3C which is already full in english in my version.

Hope mods will understand and not kill me with warnings about rules.

Salamandre said:
Is this working only with english C3C version? Because I get errors when loading the game. I have french version.

Art/Units/Tribe/Warrior/Warriorrun.amb File not found

Ok, I checked and : yes, it only works with english version, someone SHOULD write it on top before dloading 130 MB.

I will try to rename all folders in english. because the files inside are ALREADY in english. When I renamed "guerrier" to "Warrior" the it didnt appear anymore as an error but the next one: settler not found. Wish me good luck, that is a shame that every mod has to work only with english versions.

2 hours later: every folder is named in english, just to dicover that the INI. file has to be too. Just to spare me all that work maybe someone would be so kind just to mail me the Art/Units folder in english at valeriu18@wanadoo.fr.

The full path is C:\Program Files\Infogrames\Civilization III\art\units

I think it must be only the civ units, not the folder in C3C which is already full in english in my version.

Hope mods will understand and not kill me with warnings about rules.

There is an easier solution than renaming - you can find a french patch on the mod homepage.For a link see post #1326.

zorn said:
(...) On the first pages a lot of people said that this mod is much harder. That amazed me, because I found that the AI is having difficulties with it. Especially being unable to mine grassland/lplains seems to hurt it. In my first real game (monarch, 16 civs) I comletely dominate, having 5x as many points than the next civ in mid mediveal. Maybe because I never mined grasslands anyway even in regular civ, so I know how to hanle it. Or maybe i was just lucky.(...)

Monarch is still rather easy in RaR (IMO, it is the first level in RaR which the AI can resonably play), but you will see things changing on Emperor.How difficult a game feels is also a bit dependent on your starting loaction (normal game too, but in RaR with all the ressource boni even more).

(...) Map trading is available late in mediveal. That is principially nice, but what`s the point of delaying it so far if you can steal it after learning writing as one of the first techs at all? By the time I can trade I have stolen all maps three times. Of course it is more comfortable to trade instead of having to steal, but maybe you should consider moving the ability to steal maps further up the tech tree.(...)

Yes, a good idea.

The imperial guard uses a musket. That is pretty weird, because you can get these guys centuries before you even discover gunpowder. Maybe you could change the graphics to a more ancient look?

We are aware of it; the suggestion was already made earlier.We view it as elite unit, which is built in small quantities with very rare (importet etc.) gun powder (keep in mind it was in history earlier avaible in some parts of the world, without being used frequently).If there is abetter unit which exactly fits in the position, we might change it of course.

(...) Raod movement reduced to two. I saw no need for this change, but I have no problem with it either.

It makes the strategy of defense chains (placing cities in 3 tiles distance and being able to move slow defenders in one turn from city to city) ineffective.You have to plan better or use more "offensiv" defense (units for) counterattacks.

Expiring improvements. A very nice idea, but the need to sell worker housings in 40 or more cities can be annoying. Is there a possibility to remove the upkeep after they expired?

Sadly not possible to sell all buildings with one click and also not to remove upkeep after expiring.Even worse is the fact that the AI doesn't get behinh it.
We could only remove upkeep or expiring complete and both changes wouldn't be good for balance.

Workers start with the ability to build roads. Probably for balancing purposes, but I still consider it weird. Wasn`t irrigating the first cultural archievement, and roads came much later? But balance goes over accuracy.

Yes, it is for balance and because of the restricted Civ3 engine (every tile improvement can only yield one ressource type).And it isn't really that roads come to early...see them as trade routes in the early years...it is irrigation which comes late.We are aware that cultivation starts earlier, but we have decided to choose the irrigation improvement as a way to simulate the increase in agricultural output in the midle ages (crop rotation!)

No founding in deserts/tundras. I really like the idea, but I dislike the gaps in my empire. (btw, sometimes the AI can settle on tundra, might this be a bug?)(...)

No bug, likely they build on forest in tundra.It is sadly hardcoded, that the overlay is determing here instead of the base terrain type.It was introduced to strength impact of colonies, for realism, to reduce number of cities a bit and to prevent the AI from building there too often.

(...) No useless techs. Every tech gives you something, which I really like. I never understood the point of techs like chemistry whichs only purpose seems to be to slow down the tech pace. They way this is handled in your mod is much better. The dark ages are a singe exeption to this, and a very good one. Maybe the cost for this tech could be increased vastly to create a long stop of developement? Just a suggestion.(...)

Another good and realistic idea, but it might have a negative effect on balance.May hit the AI and tech trding is sually a way for behind civs to keep up.Such a long break here could increase the backwardness.

(...)Maybe the trait specific improvements should give a small amount of culture. The reason is that I think they should be destroyed after the city got conquered. It is a little irritating to have a "wrong" improvement in your city, or the same twice.(...)

I see your point and I fully agree that it doesn't make sense they often "survive" capturing.The only problem is again balance...image cheap consellours or wiseman which also yield culture - no more monuments for this civs.It would make those traits to strong, IMO.

(...) And would it be possible to make higher improvements require lower ones to be build? For example, everyone builds the library before the academy, because you get the same benefit for a cheaper price. So this decision is a no-brainer. Making those improvements dependent, you wouldn`t take a decision away from the player. The benefit would be that the menue would be much tidier, so that you wouldn`t have to scroll around so much.

Yes, we already have discussed that.It would have some advantages, but it must be done very careful.No improvemnts which require ressources, a special government or ones which expire are allowed in such chains.BTW, academy and library have the same cost.

Salamandre said:

2 hours later: every folder is named in english, just to dicover that the INI. file has to be too.

You know, you could've saved yourself a lot of trouble and just downloaded the French patch from the official site, the same place where RaR is, here ;).

Edit. Humm, late as usual...

Thank you!

Doest it seem good now for me to install that patch, with all files translated, or it will give me errors because too late, do you know?

The mod is great, should be named DYH, double your headache :lol:

I certainly feel like the others in front of that tech tree for the first time. I gave some 30 restarts to have a cattle as usual as initial location: "oh great, found one, now lets irigate and lets start our settler factory"...huh, where is that damnt "irigate" command? :eek:

Also started on regent after reading the comments, but it seems AI is completely lost. 3 cities after 1000 years, and no scouts exploring, no contacts. Will try it on monarch.

One question, if I want to play that 950 years version, how do I modify it to work(read about bug) when starting new map? Usually I click on scenario, then new map.

The french patch come with Art folder, text folder and a bak.file. In read me is not specified where wich one must go, an idea to help?

Since the patch does essentially the same AFAIk, there shouldn't errors because of your renaimng.However, I recommend to delete you RaR installation and install the mod again (you saves aren't affected), so you are on the save side.

Irrigation is delayed until Crop Rotation.See my last long post above (7th paragraph) for the reasons.

For fixing the extended version bug...load the extended version in the editor, choose menu scenario, then scenario properties...on the lower part of it, you see time options.Check the time limit box and replace the 540 turns with 915.Save it (as extended version again or even better under a completly new name) and choose those .biq when playing.

Edit: Read your edit.Not completly sure since I haven't used it, but I assume you should copy the content of the patch art folder and insert it in the main art folder of RaR.Same for text.But perhaps someone who has used the french patch sucessfully can answer that better.

I dont think I should delete and reinstall Rar. Mainly because I never changed anything in RAR but in my main Art/Units CIV folder.

I know irigation was delayed, it was only humour :lol: I had to check some 50 techs away to find it.

After reading the posts and complaints of people I decided also to mod the mod making the tech much slower. Time min. is now 6 turns, to fully enjoy the units, buildings etc. Of course to use only with extended version.

Maybe the original vesion which allows the techs at 1 turn min. is to be played by hardcore players, when they know for sure which units and buildings are worth at the end, but for a noob its just too fast.

A legendary mod for sure. I coudnt expect less from civ fanatics, had you all noticed the difference between this game forums and all the other games around? Here you have deep minds for sure . :goodjob:

Pfeffersack

hope you dont mind me posting you off forum.

wanted to ask you about these elements of RAR:

1 why do AI armies in RAR never seem to have more than one unit in them?

2 why does the AI so infrequently use its artillery?

3 why does th AI never/rarely cross continents in a sustained manner during a war with an offshore foe?

4 the AI warfare strategy seems to be to pick out cities and then try to get them. on this basis it will move right next to your armies/troop buildups and park there on there way to your cities or captured cities. at this point you can easily wipe them out with your strong offensive units.

iwonder if any of this could be ammeliorated in future upgrades or if there is a way to resolve this as things are now?

thanks!

Barka

barka,
it may be a bit disappointing, but almost anything you mention is hardcoded, and can hardly be influenced by us.

1) Armies:
Actually, if the AI in your games doesn't fill armies, several possible reasons can apply (since the AI can very well fill and use Armies, albeit in odd compositions).
On the lewels below Monarch they simply lack the units. Then, the AI always fills only one unit, unless it gets attacked or goes to war; so, if you sneak attack a city with armies, you'd expect to only see single unit armies.
And, there's that speed problem - that's why it is near impossible to mod Armies back into the otherwise unchanged C3C. In short, the AI loads one attacker into the army; any additional units need to be as fast or faster as the army. Now, this did make sense before C3C - but, in C3C Armies got a movement bonus...
So, there must be a unit available that is faster as the first loaded unit. Usually, this is no problem in RAR, except if the first unit was a Horse Archer/Cuirassier (all those move 3 horses) - in this case, it won't be filled before Motorcycles or Air Cav.

2) Artillery
Yes, good question. A genuine Civ3 flaw.

3) Offshore warfare
Yes, good question. A genuine Civ3 flaw. Admittedly, in RAR its even worse, since the AI tends to build even less ships here.
But, we're working on it; and it loks like we've found ways to improve the situation, at least.

4) AI tactics
Yes, good question. A genuine Civ3 flaw.
But, actually the situation in RAR isn't as painful as in unmodded. Reason is the slower road movement; because of that, the human isn't that much better in bringing in defenders. And it isn't that easy to seperate the fast moving AI units from the slower ones.

barka said:
Pfeffersack

hope you dont mind me posting you off forum.

wanted to ask you about these elements of RAR:

1 why do AI armies in RAR never seem to have more than one unit in them?

2 why does the AI so infrequently use its artillery?

3 why does th AI never/rarely cross continents in a sustained manner during a war with an offshore foe?

4 the AI warfare strategy seems to be to pick out cities and then try to get them. on this basis it will move right next to your armies/troop buildups and park there on there way to your cities or captured cities. at this point you can easily wipe them out with your strong offensive units.

iwonder if any of this could be ammeliorated in future upgrades or if there is a way to resolve this as things are now?

thanks!

Barka

No problem with PMing me and welcome to CFCs and RaR :) I will answer your questions here in public, so others who perhaps wonder about the same things can also read the answers.

1.I assume your are refering to AI armies? The limit is 2 and gets increased to 3 units with the Pentagon.For the AI this is likely caused by a Conquests bug - the AI has strong rules if it comes to filling an army and only adds the second/third etc. unit if the speed of this unit is greater or equal than the speed of the army with the first unit in (speed of first unit+1 bonus for army).
This behaviour also causes the strange unit mix inside AI armies, if the fill them at all (slow infantery and tank for example).We have tried to help the AI be providing them cheap slow attackers in the hope they put them often in first and it definitly reduces occurance of this bug, but of course we can't solve it completly, since the main reason is hardcoded.

2.Also hardcoded to a large extend.It is nothing special in RaR, AI builds only few pieces of artillery in unmodded Civ, too and they almost always only use it in a defensive manner (inside cities).Solution? No easy one.The build often flags don't have much effect.If every artillery unit has defense=0, they can be captured, which leads to more artillery in the handds of the AI, because less artillery units get destroyed (it is this way in unmodded; in RaR, we have given later artillery defense for realism and for balance, since the human player tends to get more advantage from capturable artillery).A last way is autoproducing (creating improvments or wonders which spread artillery units at aconstnt rate).It would combat the problem directly, however it still wouldn't fix AIs for behaviour with artillery usage and give the human even more (cheap) artillery units, which isn't a good idea.And beside creating a "cannon-" or "artillery factory" I can't see a nice name/place where such a building could fit in RaR.

3. The invasion problem has several differnt reasons and again most of them are beyond modding.
First AI neglects building ships often (this is even worse in RaR compared to unmodded, because in Rar there are simpaly to many things which distract them from ship building) .Solution? See my paragraph about artillery; only way is autoproducing.The Naval Academy is such a wonder.
Second reason is that they don't put much effort on naval invasions...AI tends to concentrate forces on neighbours.There is nothing which can be done about that.
Third is the way they invade, when they do it all.They only use one transport most of the time and there is no way to make them use more.However, you sometimes can make them land more troops (the "sometimes" is mainly related to the question: Do they have enough troops? So it is far more likely on higher difficulty) - if you make those transports bigger.Those bigger transports are included in soon-coming 1.04 :)

4.Yes, thats their startegy and it isn't very effective.Sadly nothing can be done about it.

Edit: Crosspost 4 minutes...I keep getting slower ;)

what about small naval wonders in a few of the ages which produce med strength ships and quite a high rate.....then wouldent the ai be forced to use them as it would be given them or has this aready been discussed

thanks to doc and pfeffersack!

one last issue: rights of passage:

as one person mentioned some years ago: the computer ought to know better than to hand out an ROP for spices or silks or other, and passively witness you carting in transport after transport of armor or what have you!

is there some way to make ROP more difficult to attain or more circumstance specific? for example, the AI only offering ROP to a partner in a military alliance. or perhaps capping ROP to a specific amount of turns etc.?

aside from the problems i mentioned above, leaving this one out by fault, this seems to me to be the biggest failing and the attending to which would certainly make the competition of warfare more intense and even handed between AI and human...

thanks in advance for your in depth responses and to all others here who contribute to this gaming thread.

barka

robertoross24 said:
what about small naval wonders in a few of the ages which produce med strength ships and quite a high rate.....then wouldent the ai be forced to use them as it would be given them or has this aready been discussed

if the AI was handed an offensive ship or transport factory would it be prompted to use such?

Yes, the AI uses given ships (transports and warships).See the AoF which is auto-produced by the Naval Academy.If we find a fitting spot, we might add more such wonders/improvements.Any suggestions about names/historical backround? We generally hesistate to put in completly artificial things, it just feels better if things are familiar from history.

About RoP: Sadly diplomacy and treaties are nearly completly hardcoded.Of course, RoP could be disabled completly, but there is no way to alter them.

then isnt my suggestion a good idea if the ai always lacks navy in its games...
i mean if every civ with a costal city had one of these ship factories then they would all have substantial navies.....and to beat them you would have to make an effort and produce more.......
dont produce battleships or the top ship at the time.....just a medium ship
like a crusier etc

yes. unfortunate.

ill leave it to you modders to figure out how to deal with this. perhaps killing ROP would be best, or offering this option as a .biq or as a toggle on the prefs or in the editor?

Top Bottom