(Rising Tides) Quill 18's Chungsu Gameplay

Veras

Prince
I'm creating a separate thread for this since there will probably be a lot to talk about these videos.

Highlights from the first video:

1. Some of the buildings will be exclusive to land cities, such as the Alien Preserve;
2. Moving a city over a resource will not destroy it. Cities only destroys improvements;
3. Settling distance from stations may have been reduced, but I don't know if he said that based on fact or just speculation.

Here's the link for the first two videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSbxIgzYpKk&feature=youtu.be&a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWP3ZCWa-Tg

1. Some of the buildings will be exclusive to land cities, such as the Alien Preserve;
Ouch. It's like they don't want us to use water cities. :D

Chengsu's agreements (that others can buy from him):
- Academic Lobby: capital science yield increased by 12%/16%/20%
- National Science Foundation: science cost for branch techs reduced by 6%/8%/10%

Chengsu's agreements (that others can buy from him):
- Academic Lobby: capital science yield increased by 12%/16%/20%
- National Science Foundation: science cost for branch techs reduced by 6%/8%/10%
those are some strong agreements, do you knw the DC cost of these agreements?

Did anyone see the Victory Wonder tooltip at 6:17 it seems they have been moved to affinity 15.

those are some strong agreements, do you knw the DC cost of these agreements?

Did anyone see the Victory Wonder tooltip at 6:17 it seems they have been moved to affinity 15.

Heh just jumped here to post that. At the very least that should help the game go a bit longer and let people play with the new toys. I'm also glad to see that ocean tile movement is at the start of the tech tree for floating cities (although i'm still not certain they're viable? Depends on if they get their own tech path to make up for losses).

Other thoughts as I see them:

Alien nest on firaxite.

Still hate that virtues don't seem to be changed much, which makes them extremely formulaic. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

Cities as battleships is an interesting possibility. It sounds like something you'd only ever do in a single player game, but maybe it's viable enough to actually have a couple of battle cities terrorizing the coasts. If anything you could have the worlds most expensive carriers.

Starting spy + no longer instant contact seems to emphasize early explores for Korea, especially given that the +2% health isn't that useful at the start.

Surprised at the lack of artifacts so far.

Moving a city is a pretty quick way to grab 3 or so more tiles, especially since you can still buy tiles if you want and could use expedition production bonuses to chain it. Theoretically a sea city that gets lucky could have 9+ tiles VERY quickly to work with, as long as they can get the food to back that up.

Fence discourages, isn't an actual alien wall. Much better.

Curious to see how working an alien nest works now (granted he didn't lock down the tile so who knows).

Maps are going to feel much less crowded given that it's possible for 2 players to start on the oceans rather than fight for land space.

Interesting that Korea's agreements make other civ's much much better at doing science. Of course they can just steal it, but still interesting.

Some of the agreements seem crazy strong. To the point that diplomatic play seems more than viable. With each agreement giving better bonuses to things like culture/science. The perks should help make your race feel more unique given that virtues have just become flowcharts (Which is still something that should be fixed.) I suppose that perks doing similar things to virtues might change openings (there's a + health perk for example, which would help a lot with non prosperity/industry opens).

Interesting that you can change perks at the cost of losing your levels. Does seem to mean that you'll never level some of them up, since they give great boosts at the start and scale awfully, but allows you to adapt better.

Artifacts are going to be very interesting. I worry they'll just be "pop them instantly for bonuses", but the potential benefits do seem strong (insta heal in city is a major time saver and extremely powerful for defense)

Rushing to meet certain leaders to unlock their agreements might be a thing.

Underwater titanium is a thing.

I think maybe the best moment to move a city is when it was 6 pop, maybe 5. Unless it made planet fall in an area w/o resources and there is a cluster of them nearby. I don't know, just tossing ideas.

2. Moving a city over a resource will not destroy it. Cities only destroys improvements;

Yes! I'm glad to hear that.

Also, it looks like alien nests spawn on other affinity resources other than xenomass! I've always wanted that. I hope they do the same in the water; so far I've only seen nests on floatstone and initially thought nests only spawned on floatstone in the water and xenomass on land.
EDIT3: Yup, in video#2 there's a water nest on top of a xenomass as well; sweet.

Unfortunately, it still looks like a nest can still spawn right on top of your capital's affinity resource as well, and now it'll happen much more often since it isn't restricted to xenomass anymore.

EDIT: I wonder if those Rippers are spawning from that land nest next to his capital, meaning that coastal nests on land can spawn both sea and land aliens.

EDIT2: The narrator has a cool echo effect to her voice now when quoting the flavor texts of researched tech. I really like it.

Yes, it has been moved to level 15. Excellent!!
:woohoo:

Very happy to see that. I wonder how they're going to tackle the hybrid victories, though. Nevertheless, this should do loads for the overall pace of the game together with the more spread out affinity points in the tech web.

So, in Rising Tide, I'm not sure of the exact radius around stations (if it's 0, 1, or 2) where you can't have a city, but it's definitely not 3 anymore! :D

In Quill's video #2, the colonist has the action button to start an outpost within 3 tiles of the station, in the shallow water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWP3ZCWa-Tg&t=2m18s

EDIT: Ugh... although, in RT, water cities only exert a radius of 2 tiles between each other and probably towards any cities on land from the water. (Similar to the island settling mechanics in Civ 5, where you can settle cities 2 tiles apart off of the main landmasses and the cities on them.)

I guess it's still up in the air.

Looks like there are new affinity quests. He got a "homesick" quest about a guy wanting to go back to earth. He picked "send the guy back to earth" and got culture and 23 purity points.

At first I thought some of these new quest characters would have a custom name for each faction, but I guess I was wrong.

That is unfortunate since nobody expect someone named Pierre something to live in Chungsu, for example.

He got a "homesick" quest about a guy wanting to go back to earth.

At first I thought some of these new quest characters would have a custom name for each faction, but I guess I was wrong.

That is unfortunate since nobody expect someone named Pierre something to live in Chungsu, for example.

That is why he wants to go home. Too much kimchi for Frenchie

Top Bottom