Road and Rail Discussion

Moderator Action: Thread title renamed to Road & Rail Discussion

Thanks! That does make more sense considering the route this thread has taken. :lol:

After someone derailed the discussion. :p
However Railroads come so close to Industrial Roads (it's the very next tech) -- and uses a different icon than all the other "route" upgrades -- that I have to wonder if there isn't something different going on there.
That is actually a quite interesting observation. If it is indeed just a straight upgrade path, it seems extremely strange to have two different version so close to each other.

Maybe all old roads auto upgrades to industrial roads but railroads are created with new trade routes or built by builders (costing half a charge) or by military engineers or by some new unit. Railroads could cost upkeep and be the best road in the game and give production bonus. Later industrial roads automatically upgrades to modern roads which is almost as fast as railroad but is free.

I think this would be best, to let them have different functions.

Am I the only one who thinks it strange that railroads just over roads and then (apparently) modern roads cover railroads? Since when in the real world do we tear up rail to replace them with highways? Perhaps it's time civ make a differentiation between types or road and rail. While roads are made by trade routes and/or builders, perhaps rail is made by building a train station in each city and a rail link gets built between them. This could later be upgraded to high speed rail.

Am I the only one who thinks it strange that railroads just over roads and then (apparently) modern roads cover railroads? Since when in the real world do we tear up rail to replace them with highways? Perhaps it's time civ make a differentiation between types or road and rail. While roads are made by trade routes and/or builders, perhaps rail is made by building a train station in each city and a rail link gets built between them. This could later be upgraded to high speed rail.
I'd definitely support such a feature although ... what purpose would it serve? If unit movement is already covered by roads, we need a different purpose for railroads. I guess the old production bonus both makes sense and justifies it, and perhaps a tourism bonus later?

With the increased focus on barbs it would be interesting if various trade route bonuses and rewards required that the trader at least make it to the target city and back at least once.

Well there is the mysterious "trading post" that pops up once (I believe) one circuit is completed.

After someone derailed the discussion. [emoji14]

That is actually a quite interesting observation. If it is indeed just a straight upgrade path, it seems extremely strange to have two different version so close to each other.
Perhaps builders make railroad tiles?

After someone derailed the discussion. :p

They are close, but Steam Power is the end of the long "naval" path... so it is quite possible that they will be very separated in time

They are close, but Steam Power is the end of the long "naval" path... so it is quite possible that they will be very separated in time
A design that assumes a certain tech order is not a good design imo., but you might be right.

With all the different videos and playthroughs, and with some of them apparently showing older builds, I'm confused :confused: ... could someone provide a short list of playthroughs that use the most recent builds? I'd like to see the game as up-to-date as possible.

Go to well-of-souls.com check out Civilization analyst. It's as up to date as possible. Also look at the several playthroughs on YouTube

Top Bottom