cobble stone roads and rails with more contrast

this is ONLY a dds file to replace the existing roads and rails

DOWNLOAD

ok here is how it's done...

follow these steps

1. Launch Nexus from the SDK
2. Go to Nexus tab
3. Open Script Browser
4. Run the "Extract PAK (*.fpk) files" script (thanks MouseyPounds)
5. got to Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\resource\DX9
6. in the DX9 folder, there is a file called "roadsandrails_d.dds"
7. the edited file is called "roadsandrails_d(grey).dds"
8. change the name of the "roadsandrails_d(grey).dds to "roadsandrails_d.dds"
9. drop it in Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\resource\DX9 to replace the existing file
10.I WOULD HIGHLY RECDOMMEND TO HAVE PUT A COPY (BACKUP) OF THE ORIGINAL roadsandrails_d.dds in case you want to change it back
that's it :D

Looks good, I'll give them a try. Roads were hard to see sometimes, that's true.

Another unrelated thing: Yesterday I tried to remove the spaghetti under trading posts, but I struggled. Do you know how to pull this off?

I came to the conclusion that TP would look like nice villages if we just removed the strange path network under them (especially with poncratias' darker colours for the tents).

EDIT: Here's my thread, it would be cool if you could help me, as my plan is very similar to what you have achieved here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9942279#post9942279

Exactly where do you extract the DDS file to? I cannot find it anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Thank you!! I hate the vanilla roads/rails. Is there anyway to make the roads pavement in the modern age? Civ4 the roads changes in the ages and I miss that.

Ya he should have put instructions. :)

Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Resource\DX9

AND you have to delete the (grey) from the file name so it looks like this,

roadsandrails_d.dds

Ya he should have put instructions. :)

Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Resource\DX9

AND you have to delete the (grey) from the file name so it looks like this,

roadsandrails_d.dds

Sorry....i was just getting to it, but yes thanks!!:D

Nice work. :)

Since you are knowledgeable with road modding, can I request some Maglev art from you?

I also have a small need for some road art that is very low key, perhaps on the level of the little roads on the trading posts or perhaps even less substantial.

If you could help it would be great, if not, ok. :)

Nice work. :)

Since you are knowledgeable with road modding, can I request some Maglev art from you?

I also have a small need for some road art that is very low key, perhaps on the level of the little roads on the trading posts or perhaps even less substantial.

If you could help it would be great, if not, ok. :)

i dont know if i could do maglev art, i have only done a little 2d art on the terrains...i have messed a little with the trading post roads, dont know if it is that good, just a WIP

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    Civ5Screen0001.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 16,879
i dont know if i could do maglev art, i have only done a little 2d art on the terrains...i have messed a little with the trading post roads, dont know if it is that good, just a WIP

For the low key road art, it would be good if the roads were maybe as wide as those little roads on the trading post, and perhaps a little darker in color.

The idea is to bring road spaghetti back, but making it so that you barely notice it from the normal view(compared to the rails/maglevs which would still stick out and only connect cities) If the low key roads could also turn into blacktop asphalt with little dotted yellow lines down the middle(for a switch at modern era), that would be super bonus. :)

If you made 2d maglev art, that could work out pretty well too. Perhaps something a little bluish tinted that perhaps looks like a railroad minus the ties? Or maybe has just a single big rail in the middle?

If you could do any of that, it would be awesome! If not, thanks anyway. :)

I love the railroads, but do not like the cobblestone at all and prefer the vanilla version (unless you can make modern roads). How would I go about just having your mod for the railroads but keeping the old roads?

Also, and I may not be the only one with this issue, but in the game, various roads and railroads go from the normal size (like in your screenshots) to very thin versions seemingly at random and only for some tiles. It drives me nuts because I can't think of a reason for it. Do you know how to eliminate this or what the problem is?

Attachments

• Roads.jpg
    Roads.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,326
Also, and I may not be the only one with this issue, but in the game, various roads and railroads go from the normal size (like in your screenshots) to very thin versions seemingly at random and only for some tiles. It drives me nuts because I can't think of a reason for it. Do you know how to eliminate this or what the problem is?
The thicker roads/rails denote a trade route and the thinner ones are just "extras" which aren't strictly necessary for city connections (but might still be useful for general transportation.)

Hmph, well, that makes sense. I don't like it, but it does make sense. Does anyone know how to make all roads and railroads the larger size?

beautiful work on the railroad, the other roads looks like it needs to be more earthy in color, a marriage between both roads would be nice.

Great avatar btw.

Did the tent cities aka trading posts get fixed? They literally make my eyes bleed, and it's even worse when there's a unit parked on top of it.

Tents? As in Models?
Sadly, the Granny principles were "altered" by Devs at Firaxis to prevent us from creating some alternatives to these specific assets. Units got a workaround solution and yet, i expect them to deliver us a properly working Nexus along with the necessary toolset within ModBuddy to do just that.
If only to honor their own Words during pre-release; Civ5 will be the most moddable version ever.
Some of us are (somehow) growing tired of waiting.

Top Bottom