• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Robert Jordan dead

Wow. Is it wrong to worry about the novels with such a tragedy going on?
I don't think so, as we know him only through his novels. Our concerns are not the same as his famillies and friends.
And beside, he was suffering from a long disease. So one can argue that for him, it may be better as he's no longer suffering.

Always a shame. Sadly this may be the only way the books ever get finished. I don't think he knew how to end them. He clearly enjoyed writing them, though.

I have heard good and bad things about the wheel of time?

What's it about and how does it compare to Lord of the Rings?

Good is that it's an epic story. Bad is that the last volumes were sub-par and sometimes plain boring. The very last one was pretty good IMO, which makes his death even sadder.

How does it compare to Lord of the Rings? Well, similar good or bad characters (maybe a bit less manichean in WoT), lots of epic stuff spanning thousands of years. Differences are that women are much more prevalent in the WoT (sometimes not for the better alas :p )... More magic too.

TBH, if I were you, I wouldn't pick it up. Only those who went through the first 6 or 7 volumes should be interested by the sequels, mainly because we didn't read that many pages to give up right now.
Pick "A song of fire and ice" by Georges R R Martin :)

They're not comparable really. The first three in the series are great, but he really evolves into a terrible writer by book 6. Entire books go where the literal physical movement of characters is nonexistant, entire paragraphs are devoted to explaining the flavor of some ladies tea, and the plot just comes to a complete standstill. He has a really nice world to draw on, but it starts great and goes south in a hurry.

Wow. Is it wrong to worry about the novels with such a tragedy going on?

What tragedy? You mean his death? A guy dying is not a tragedy. It's too bad, but the public didn't know him personally. Their loss is his writing.

I've never read any of his books, but a lot of my friends are going to freak out about this.

It's total piece of teenage crap.
GoodEnoughForMe said:
Entire books go where the literal physical movement of characters is nonexistant, entire paragraphs are devoted to explaining the flavor of some ladies tea, and the plot just comes to a complete standstill. He has a really nice world to draw on, but it starts great and goes south in a hurry.
Very much so.

First books were OK but then it goes to downhill. Jordan just rambles through most of the books, there are hardly any events but detailed descriptions example what the female characters (who are helluva annoying BTW, every single one of them) are wearing or thinking of doing and then suddenly in the end of each book there's new "high level enemy" to beat which happens usually in couple of pages before the book ends.

It was torture to read couple of the books so I just browsed them and left the rest to the shelf. I can only imagine that the whole series was based into neat marketing trick to have both female and male characters to get both genders interested about the series. I guess the background for the world is quite interesting but how the stories evolve...horrible mess.

Sorry for Jordan, maybe someone can finish his job, I remember wondering this very thing few years back when Jordan just kept increasing the amount of books...

Masquerouge said:
Pick "A song of fire and ice" by Georges R R Martin
Yeah, do that or take something from Feist.

Well, it's probably the only way to ever get rid of the WoT hype.

You're judging Jordan rather harshly. For one thing he's one of the authors that made fantasy popular. Quite simply he advanced the genre by leaps and bounds with his first few books. Also I personally don't think the quality drops noticeably until you need book 8, I have mixed opinions about book 9(Most of it was bad, but man did it end well) and book 10 is the only real stinker. It picks up in book 11. The thing is he tried to make a deeper world then normal for a large saga (and they get pretty in depth), He just couldn't pull of incredible writing aswell.

I might remind you that even GRRM pays his respects to Jordan, "House Jordayne of The Tor" anyone? With a quill for a sigil and the motto 'Let It Be Written"

You're judging Jordan rather harshly. For one thing he's one of the authors that made fantasy popular. Quite simply he advanced the genre by leaps and bounds with his first few books. Also I personally don't think the quality drops noticeably until you need book 8, I have mixed opinions about book 9(Most of it was bad, but man did it end well) and book 10 is the only real stinker. It picks up in book 11. The thing is he tried to make a deeper world then normal for a large saga (and they get pretty in depth), He just couldn't pull of incredible writing aswell.

Very true. I agree.

I might remind you that even GRRM pays his respects to Jordan, "House Jordayne of The Tor" anyone? With a quill for a sigil and the motto 'Let It Be Written"

I totally missed that... That's in the Song of fire and ice?

I'm only judging the 15-year old kind of habits of the characters and the boring long winded writing style about all freaking details along with story lines that have less suspension than a ordinary curling match.

Harshly? Nope. The word is truthfully.

Whatever GRRM happens to say doesn't matter. I read his books not listen to his opinions/critics about other writers works.

Actually I think Jordan is very good building believable world of fantasy but he just lacks the skill to proceed with the story. Don't know about your age but I think the target audience is something like 15-17 year olds. Or that's how the main characters work. I do agree he did have effect into fantasy there's no doubt about it, not sure everything was good effect though. And for me the first books are readable but then it starts go down fast. Apparently Jordan introduces people to this magnificent story and then doesn't know what to do with it.

But now I have said enough bad things about man who has just passed away.

The Eye of the World
By Robert Jordan
Ultra-Condensed by David J. Parker and Samuel Stoddard

Rand al'Thor

Tam is my father.

(Nothing happens. Then, nothing happens. Then, unexpectedly, nothing happens. Everything is FRAUGHT with PORTENT.)

Moiraine

Everybody come with me.

Everybody​

No. Well, ok.

(They travel a LOT. Something happens that isn't explained. Something happens that doesn't make sense. Something happens.)

Rand al'Thor

Tam is my father.

THE (predictable, cliched, dumb) END

Fans​

Yah! Wah hah! This is the greatest book ever! Whoo hoo! This is the greatest series ever! Whoopie! Yee haw!

I have heard nothing but bad things about this man's books. RIP, though.

Top Bottom