Rod1- Something Enjoyable

Here's what you need to do:
No, he seems to want 31 civs in one game.

Open the desired BIQ file e.g. conquests.biq
Then Edit Rules -> World Sizes -> Number of Civs
You can change it for each of the 5 world sizes
You have to use the Civ3 Editor to open this file (Civ3ConquestsEdit.exe). It is in the same folder as Civ3Conquests.exe, which starts the game.

Before you do that, make a backup copy of conquests.biq. Just copy, paste and rename to something that makes sense to you. Some suggestions:
  • conquests.biq.OLD
  • conquests.biq.BCK
  • conquests.biq.20081201
I tend to add on a DOT name at the end of the file, since Windows defaults to ordering things alphabetically. But that is just me.

Stupid question? Editing that file will or will not affect other games? I'm involved in multiple games, and I still want to participate in them. Plus I have my solo efforts, in which I seek to be a better player. Wouldn't want to mess those up.

I have no Idea, since I havent attempted editing the Conquests.biq so far.

I can give a few suggestions though-

1) A very safe option is to make another copy of conquests (install conquests in some other directory) and edit the biq there, you can use your original copy to play your solo stuff and whatnot.

2)Juggle the Edited biq and the original biq as per your requirement, I dont know if this will work

Stupid question? Editing that file will or will not affect other games? I'm involved in multiple games, and I still want to participate in them. Plus I have my solo efforts, in which I seek to be a better player. Wouldn't want to mess those up.

do not change the Read Only tag on your biq file when you adjust it and the editor will ask you for a name for the new biq that you create. you can then move this new one to your scenarios file.

All team members will need to have that same file in their game folder. you should give serious thought to any changes you want to make as the changes will be a part of the new maps you generate to play.

We might want to ask someone from the GOTM/SGOTM staff about how they make their tweaked maps, because those games don't require special adjustments to the biq files. SGOTM does require a small change to art files, but thats it. I can load their files and not interfere with everything else I'm running.

Any changes made to the file can be undone by opening up the Editor and changing the setting back to the original.

I've tried to search the Customization forum, but .biq does not have enough letters to seach by.

Bumping so we don't forget about it.

We agreed on 31 civs, either standard or huge map size, and either Continents or pangaea. I don't really care but I lean towards standard continents.

What about civs? Anyone particularly suited towards early expansion will have edge, since there's such a land grab in the beginning. I like the Inca, I won a game with them recently. Their scouts are pretty handy, but what are the rules of AW? Do we declare on every civ as soon as we meet them? So, sending those scouts out would land us in war early, and while they have attack and defense, they're still pretty weak. Another option is Greece, having hoplites might be nice. I'm open to whatever, just want to keep the discussion going.

You could try a NOW game just for the change. it could be a good option for a crowded map.

AW favors someone with a good early UU and good traits. There are the usual suspects, Persia, Iroquois, Maya and the Celts usually top the list. Others might be Rome, Sumeria, India or China. Right now, I'd prefer Rome or the Celts, I haven't played either of them in awhile.

Haven't played the Celts ever, so that seems like a good choice.

Standard Continents, 31 civs, Regent or Monarch difficulty.

If Regent, I favor taking whatever start we get. On Monarch, an early luxury would be nice.

I don't know what we are getting into with the landmass and civ combination, but let's give it a try. :crazyeye:

Kibitzer:
Greebly maps are 250x250 and as you mentioned, they will get to the point that no towns can be planted. At 512 towns, the game swings to the human as they will be the only ones with settlers ready to plant as a town is razed.

Rome is extra strong, because the Legion is a sword and a pike. Very handy in AW with lots of nations.

I am not sure about maps that are not over sized and still having a lot more nations than the default. It will increase the danger as you will met other sooner. Huge maps default to 16, so having 24 or 31 will be crowed.

No razing may be an issue, even at Monarch as you will not have much culture.

Rodent's idea was a crowded map, but not with all 31 civs. That sorta got added (easier to talk about all 31 than just 25 or so, since you have to mention the ones not in the game).

Rodent has been busy lately. I'd like to get his feedback on what we've talked about recently.

Celts would be good, I haven't played as them but agri would lead to good early growth, religious for fast temples if nothing else, and the gallic swordsman looks pretty great.

Also, what's NOW?

Non Oscillating War.

As opposed to AW, where you are at war with everyone all the time, in NOW you iniatate only one war at a time (generally in order of contact) and you stay at war with that civ until it is dead. This doesn't stop an AI from declaring on you, but that war is generally defensive until their number comes up.

I think you should do this (non-oscillating) on a pangaea, for conquest... and knock off the civs in alphabetical order.

Best played as the Zulu, who are of course jealous of their position at the end of the list.

Good idea, DW. At Monarch, we could get away with that, and it could get interesting with having to cross other lands to get to our target. Having a good rep would be very important. I think we have enough ideas for at least 2 SGs, #1 being a crowded AWM and #2 being a crowded NOW with Alphabetical targeting. Now, if we can get things set up like the SGOTMs, where there are no modifications that bother other games, we'll be all set.

I think I may make that one my next SG, if you have another one handy. ;)

It could be called Shaka's Paranoia.

I have been busy lately.

Dwetzel has a good Idea there, But I think We Can keep it as a backup.

I have done some tests and it seems large map will be best for this game.

Vmxa Suggested Rome, the problem is, we will have to find Iron and the Iron Chances to be far away, we are toast. I might be overcautious but we cant have a game ruined because we dont have Iron.

Some alternatives-

Greeks
Carthage

We could also try an civ with a horse based UU as horse is generally easier to find and connect. Iroq would of course be first choice

Top Bottom