Rod1- Something Enjoyable

I played that map myself, and Suffice it to say that it was very hard, I did get 2 leaders very early but didnt have enough towns to make leaders :lol:

The team seems to agree that we need a corner start otherwise it could get crazy very quickly.

For me, there is no difference between Regent and Monarch. We could also consider the NOW option, it may be easier for the team

NOW or AW, it will still be my first 31 Civ game.

In one sense, NOW might be harder, since we'll have to give some attention to trading and treaties. Harder, here, means more chance for mistakes by having a 20 turn deal with someone who becomes our next victim more quickly than we expected.

Kibitzer:

Rodent, you may find that Monarch is more significant in a game like yours. They do start with 2 def and 1 att unit, so three units right off the bat. The max anarchy is 4, a small boost.

They have the 10% boost on cost factor and 4 extra free units as well as 1 bonus per city. What that all means is they will have a better first wave and be able to replace losses a little better.

I played out to 10AD and with 24 nations, I had war with 13. That is still a lot of incoming, from many directions. The good news is lots of slaves.

Like you I had to sit on leaders a bit to get enough towns down for the second army and the third waited until I had rushed FP, Pentagon and HE. It took so long to get the extra towns up.

One more big issue is that at Regent you will be able to build a couple of wonders and have lots of time on research.

Regent should be the level we try at. Just from my experience, AW in itself adds at least one level of difficulty and having more opponents will add at least another level. I know that in my test game, I got overwhelmed by the continuous waves of enemies, and I have a goodly amount of AW experience. Trust me, Regent will be plenty difficult.

Regent works; I'm not picky. Hasty, maybe, but not picky. :D

Lets have a vote then- NOW or AW?

Since I put up the Idea, I will go with AW.

Lets have a vote then- NOW or AW?

Since I put up the Idea, I will go with AW.
Well, if you are going to host the game, you get to decide. :D

Though it is nice that you are asking for our opinions.

I would lean towards AW.

Doesn't matter to me, but I will vote for regent level :)

AW at Regent, start in a corner. Rules? Strict AW or trade allowed?

I will allow Trade on Contact.

Thats 3 for AW, and One Abstain :lol:

So AW it will be! Expect the thread to be up in a day or so.

The settings are-

AW
Regent
31 Civs
Rome
Large size with a drier world

Lurker:

Trade can be useful around the late Middle Ages. You will likely have a few nations still unknown. About that time Printing Press will start to spread and you can check the F4 for new contacts.

Those nations may trade you an optional tech you skipped and or cash, before you DOW. Not a game breaker, but the cash is handy.

Guys, Don't think I am being lazy about this, Mapmaker obviously wont work on this sort of thing and the RNG isnt being nice to me, Havent got a good start yet.

If you guys want to have a go at start generation, I will put up the .biq

One thinkg did occur to me over the weekend.

You guys may want to use Rhye's New Team Colours as it allows every Civ to have it's own colour. It just saves having to guess which "purple" civ you are meeting?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=85016

and there is another alteration that I am checking on now. A great terracotta colour for the French Yessss!!! and a perfect new green but it is not for the celts :sad:

I have the link for the new colour pack - totally cool

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=303007

Just a quick note to let you know that Rodent has been very ill with a major flu.

He is just getting back on his feet so it might be a while before he gets back to this.

His "get up and go" has gotten up and gone!
:lol:

Thanks, darski, that's good to know. We can wait a little longer.

Just an FYI: my son is getting married on Saturday, January 3, 2009. I won't be able to get much civving done between now and then, but after that I will.

Congratulations Cbob. Have a wonderful time at the wedding.

Get well soon Rodent, and grats on the son's marriage, Cbob.

Hello guys, I will try to get back to this soon, but it might take a while

Thanks, darski, that's good to know. We can wait a little longer.

Just an FYI: my son is getting married on Saturday, January 3, 2009. I won't be able to get much civving done between now and then, but after that I will.

I hope you had a wonderful day.

I've just been thinking of your big day is all.

Top Bottom