Roddy will love this, a real BOARD nes, need some input though

Which continent, should the game be played on?

• N. America

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • S. America

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Europe

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Asia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Africa

• Antartica....if you reeeeely want to

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • The whole world

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Something else, like middle east, or meseoamerica, if so, post what you think.

• Total voters

thebignastyone

Clandestine
:wallbash: I forgot to put Australia, and no one called me on it, so I guess we won't start on her....

I've been thinking a lot about how to spice up the nes world a little, as it's beginning to seem like a little run of the mill, cookie cutter w/all the stories, or RTOR inspired neses. So what I think would be cool is a game where it's actually a board game, with dice, moves around a board, stuff like that. However, I have many gaps and gray areas like diplo, and military units or econ for that matter. What I've been thinking about goes something like this...

Map

I take a "jason"esk map, put a grid on the 'ol bad boy, or even just a continent of the map and blow it up something like that. Then you get certain moves per turn based on units for military and certain blocks of movement for controlling land. Of course, this would be sped up or slowed down according to methods of travel, terrain, o yes terrain, great stuff like that. I'm thinking you get a certain number of moves per turn, per unit, and those numbers would vary according to whatever values I give specifically. More detail is definatly going to be put into this, once I get some feedback.

UPDATE

The map plans have been changed somewhat. I have a map down lower, and it looks to be pretty darn good, I'm happy with it. The reason bieng, is it's not so big that you have to scroll around like a mouse outta jail, and yet, the squares aren't too small to where you cant really see whats going on. As far as Terrain goes, unless someone thinks of something that I can't do with my technology, it's looking like i can't put anything behind the grid once i put it in, cause its the actual color of the land in the original program. SOOO if someone can come up w/something crafty, the map is a bitmap if you wanna play with it, as you know I will be. ;)

Also I'm thinking becuase this is a temporary game scenario, meaning the game actually ends (see below if you have no clue what I'm talking about), I'm Going to set the game on different continents each time, cuase I have a map of every one seperate just like the N. American map, so which ever continent comes out on top for the poll, will be the first one, then I'll just go clockwise around the world. That way I don't forget a continent again... Gotta love a public school education.

Cities

Cities can be built to build units, like in Civ, or even better, produce certain number of units according to size per turn. So lets say your city has a numeric value of 3, you would get 3 units/brigades, per turn, don’t know how fast I want the military build up yet, vs. a numeric value of 5, then you would get 5 units etc. To make it important to gain lands, and fight for them :satan: , you can only have a certain number of cities per number of blocks you own. So let’s say you have 10 blocks, you can only have 5 cities or something, again just rough outline, more detail once I get feedback.

battles/skirmishes

This would be based on the game risk's rules of war. For those who have no clue about the game, you roll 3 dice if you’re attacking and 2 if you’re defending and those numbers are in accordance w/how ever many units you’re attacking with or defending with. So say I attack with 2 guys, I can only roll 1 die cause I cannot attack myself outta existence, whereas if a defender is defending w/2 units, he can use 2 dice because he’s defending to the last guy. I as the moderator will be doing the rolling, and I will document the rolls so everyone knows I'm not cheating someone, it's just a game of chance.

I physically would not be in the game, because it would be a conflict of interest to be rolling dice for myself.

The thing that’s tying me up is diplomacy. I really don't know if I should or should not have a diplomatic side to the game. If I do, that means things like MPP, NAP, Alliances, and that opens up a longer complex game. If I don't, the game would purely be a war game, for lands and beating each other up.

UPDATE
system of bonuses and handicaps

This is for players that continue from one game to the next. the winner of the last game gets some sort of handicap (like can build 1 less city or something), while those who didn't do too well get bonuses (like getting an extra city), new players start with some average. that way it evens out the game between those more used to these games and those that arent. These will be determined after the end of each game, meaning they won't be the same + or -.

Ending

What all that means is there will be an actual ending! :eek: an ending in a thread that says never ending story? Yup, that’s the best part. You get to be a winner of something for a change. What this means is there will be multiple games during this threads lifetime, not a huge one that when someone new comes in, has no clue what happened in the beginning, and doesn’t have to read all day to figure out what his nation has done or is involved in. What I haven’t decided yet is what constitutes a winner, like do I put a limit on the turns, and the winner has the most squares, or when someone kills off everyone, or a point system for diplomacy, squares, and units. Again think tank help.

So gray areas for the think tank:

How cities would be able to become bigger, IE: they start at 1, how do they get to 2,3,4...?

Should there be an economy part of the game?
IF SO.....
Should economy limit the size of armies? What I mean is you can only have certain number of men according to the money you bring in.
Should economy be based on number of squares you own, or number of cities owned?

Navy? if any, how would they be able to move around? I can put a grid over the entire map, but it would'nt look as cool as having the grid only on the land, however, i could put terrain in then, gears moving, brain hurts now. I'm moving twards not having any naval units, cause there really isn't a good way to move from the pacific side of N. america, to the atlantic, so it really puts some guys at a disadvantage.

Ending, how exactly do we end the game to start up again?

I'm in the process of making a map, just wondering what a good continent everyone would like to start on, and that’s what the votes for.

:love: :worship: [dance] :rockon:

i'd vote N. America, just cause we've had a board game tehre only once. though a world game could be fun too, those maps are REALY hard to balance though.

i'll warn you, that terrain features on a map can be realy tough to mod. i tried once, it turned ugly before i even started the game. but i'd love to try playing a game with terrain features.

city sizes:
how about something like a city's size is limited by the amount of "farm" (non city) land devoted to it. like if its only teh square the city is on then its limited to size 1. if you add another 2 squares around it that are devoted to feeding the city, then you get to size 2, and so on (however you feel the progression should go), either 2 spots per city size, or every next city size costs one more square then teh previous one, so a cize 4 city would need 10 squares (1+2+3+4).

city sizes can be used for a range of things. i'll leave that without a suggestion for now.

for reiterating games, i love the idea. bunch of quick games in a row, would be great.
may i suggest a system of bonuses and handicaps for players that continue from one game to the next. the winner of the last game gets some sort of handicap (like can build 1 less city or something), while those who didnt do too well get bonuses (like getting an extra city), new players start with some average. that way it evens out the game between those more used to these games and those that arent.

What im thinking about the terrain is just creating some impassible terrain like the rockies if its in N. America. certain rivers and such would have to have bridges built to speed the going over them, or go around them, and also thinking about it some more, I'm thinking if you want to improve speed of movement, you have to build roads, which wouldn't be hard to put on the map. TY on the terrain thing, but I got it under control, as I have figured out how to both A) put the grid on the map, and B) put some scenery on it make it look perty, we shall see, as it's experimental.

:satan:

I like that bonuses thing. I like it alot, especially for veterans who want a good challenge, and some sort of handicap for the newbians.

I'm going to just update the first post with the ideas that im going to incorporate, so just stay posted, I'll show whats been changed too.

Here's the Map as of now. With the way i did this map, it's looking like I'm not going to be able to put terrain in :blush: , however, i might black out some spots to make it more competetive.

as many of you are probably asking now, that dumbass didnt take off the nation's borders. theres a reason for that. As i was cleaning up the map i realized i could add another part in this allready looking coolness. What if, like in risk, you get some sort of military bonus for having all of a section. That means, if there is a boundry in the grid, there is possiblity, if you own all of it, that you could get extra men or something else.

Top Bottom