1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RoM 2.8 MP Game

Discussion in 'RoM Multiplayer' started by 45°38'N-13°47'E, Oct 28, 2009.

1. E_Pluribus_Unum

E_Pluribus_Unum Warlord

Suleiman rules! :king:
    MP is a major issue in RevDCM, but I think also a very complex problem too, so there's not gonna be a fast patch/fix for it.

2. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

What about 2.8 beta? Somewhere I've read it uses a previous version of RevDCM: is that true? So that version shouldn't have so many problems with MP? I'm playing a game with 2.8beta with my girlfriend (on hotseat, actually) and so far we had no problems (I mean, 2.8beta doesn't show any particular problem, not related to our RevDCM problem which probably doesn't show up anyway on hotseat). Any idea about it?

Edit: Oh Lord, my "girlfriend" is actually my wife since more than 1 month... :crazyeye: :lol:

3. E_Pluribus_Unum

E_Pluribus_Unum Warlord

Yep, beta uses the prev RevDCM.
    I knew only one major problem with beta, but it can be avoided easily. (Fix CTD when AI discovers Astronomy, so we have to give/trade them.)
    Worth to try it. ;) Nice idea!:goodjob:

4. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Yeah, right, I knew about the Astronomy problem but that's not a major issue. So if it's ok for everyone, we could play on 2.8 beta.

5. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

I am with you.

Some organizational ideas:

The game needs a thread, which describes what files are allowed to be used and where you can find them. Then maybe a week for subscription to the game/voting about the settings (and a little connectablity testing/tweaking between two or three people who already subscribed in the meantime).

6. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Ok, I'd say: let's keep this thread for pre-startup organization; then I'll open another thread after some things are settled, to keep the other thread clean; for the moment we have some interested players:

1. 45°38'N-13°47'E
    2. E_Pluribus_Unum
    3. Civ Fuehrer
    4. DRJ
    5. CivEikka

Hydromancerx and cheesemijit, I assume you wanted to join in too, right? :)

Settings to be discussed soon, but I'd say version 2.8beta unless another MP working version comes out before we start.

Planned start I'd say during next month (november).

Multiplayer mode: E_Pluribus_Unum and me were proposing a simultaneous turns, direct IP game, meeting once per week in the evening about 20 GMT playing let's say 2 hours per session (further details will be discussed). That'll be on normal speed about 20 sessions (5 months) - our last game on normal speed lasted little less than 40 hours which, given the fact that we couldn't meet every week due to personal reasons (holidays, my wedding and so on), translated into 7 months of gameplay. I assume that we're all dedicated players that will agree to play once per week and will keep the commitment for the duration of the game: that said, it can happen that someone will have other real-life commitments that could force him/(her? are there girls playing RoM besides my wife? :D ) not to be online for a game-session occasionally. That shouldn't be a problem, we can skip a game session every now and then; keep in mind that playing on Epic speed could mean almost 1 year of gameplay.
    I'm also suggesting to use a pitboss server in addition to playing all together once per week: that way we could play as usual on the day we agree, but if someone has time during the week, we could also play some additional turns between 2 game-sessions. I've never actually tried pitboss besides some basic tests but it looks like my old Celeron 800Mhz can be used as a pitboss server; I could run it 24/7 but the problem is I don't have a good upload bandwith (more or less 300kb/s). So if someone else has other proposal, we can discuss about it too.
    I'd say that's all for now. Waiting for feebacks and then we'll start talking seriously about tests and settings! :goodjob:

7. E_Pluribus_Unum

E_Pluribus_Unum Warlord

One of my co-worker also interested in MP game.
    He's new to RoM (tell him about 1-2 month ago), and until now he is not regstered here.
    I send him the forum link, so he might join to discussion and the game itself.

8. Civ Fuehrer

Civ Fuehrer Eat, Sleep, Mod

Ehh, 3AM - 5AM is a tad late for me. If possible, 18 or 17GMT would be better.

9. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Civ Fuehrer, if you live in California as I suppose you do, your time it's GMT-8 not GMT+7; so 20 GMT is your noon. Here is half past midnight now while you're in early afternoon. Would you consider that to be ok?

10. Civ Fuehrer

Well that's better, this website said LA was GMT +7... Can't find the site now but that's much better.:cool:

11. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Here you can see every timezone: http://www.worldtimezone.com/ ;)
    Now I'm going to sleep 'cause it's getting late here in Europe :lol:

12. CivEikka

CivEikka Warlord

How about we play the game at weekends, so time won't be that big of an issue?

13. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

The problem with weekends is that me and I think E_Pluribus_Unum too are busy most saturdays/sundays. We'll have to agree on one day and stay with that; occasionally if everyone agrees, we can change the day, but I think it's better to agree on a specific day of the week so that everyone can make plans in advance for a long time.

14. CivEikka

CivEikka Warlord

Oh.. As I got school 8h/day 5day/week, + homework.. I think friday/saturday evening would be nice.. :)

15. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Maybe we could agree on alternating friday/another day in the week (friday/wednesday, for example). I think I remember E_Pluribus_Unum couldn't be online on mondays too. Let's wait to see what others think about it.

16. cheesemijit

cheesemijit Prince

Ditto

17. E_Pluribus_Unum

E_Pluribus_Unum Warlord

Yep, Monday is not good for me excep few occasions in a year. Football with co-workers.
    Tuesday-Thursday and Sundays most of the times are good.
    Friday and Saturday are 50-50 %.

18. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

sunday evening is fine with me, starting 19:00/20:00 middle european time to 24:00.

Don't you guys think if we make the sessions a bit longer than 2 hours it would be more fun...(that way, we would be able to take little breaks to get a snack or a drink or visiting a certain place)?

19. E_Pluribus_Unum

E_Pluribus_Unum Warlord

Nope, we're so fanatic, that we do not get up... ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQOyUCegZaM

20. Civ Fuehrer

Well since I have college Monday-Thursday, Fri-Sun would be good.