RoM 2.8 MP Game

Ok, here we are:

E_Pluribus_Unum and me would like to start a MP game. It looks like some others are ready to join in. The problem is that 2.8 doesn't seem very stable for MP, or, from what I've read, the problem could be RevDCM. If this is going to be solved anyhow, we could start a MP game as soon as it's playable. I'd prefer playing with Rev on, so I'd wait for a fix. Last game we played (E_Pluribus_Unum and me) was with ver 2.52 and it's been ok, but frankly I don't want to fall back to an older version, especially not after having installed 3.19 patch.

So here are some ideas for our MP game:

- Meeting once per week, in the evening CET (GMT+1) --> this means dedicated players: our last game lasted 7 months!
- Possibly using Pitboss also, so that we can play once per week together and then play on when everyone has time to do so
- More human players but I'd stay within 6, since it's difficult to meet every week with more people, I think
- Specific game settings are to be discussed but I'd say, Revolution, Barbarian, Tech diffusion on, no time victory, every other victory enabled. I'd also like Realistic Diplomacy.
- Huge map, type to be discussed
- About 20-25 civs I think should be ok

Open for suggestion, of course. If interested, drop a line! :)

45°38'N-13°47'E;8588478 said:
Ok, here we are:

E_Pluribus_Unum and me would like to start a MP game. It looks like some others are ready to join in. The problem is that 2.8 doesn't seem very stable for MP, or, from what I've read, the problem could be RevDCM. If this is going to be solved anyhow, we could start a MP game as soon as it's playable. I'd prefer playing with Rev on, so I'd wait for a fix. Last game we played (E_Pluribus_Unum and me) was with ver 2.52 and it's been ok, but frankly I don't want to fall back to an older version, especially not after having installed 3.19 patch.

So here are some ideas for our MP game:

- Meeting once per week, in the evening CET (GMT+1) --> this means dedicated players: our last game lasted 7 months!
- Possibly using Pitboss also, so that we can play once per week together and then play on when everyone has time to do so
- More human players but I'd stay within 6, since it's difficult to meet every week with more people, I think
- Specific game settings are to be discussed but I'd say, Revolution, Barbarian, Tech diffusion on, no time victory, every other victory enabled. I'd also like Realistic Diplomacy.
- Huge map, type to be discussed
- About 20-25 civs I think should be ok

Open for suggestion, of course. If interested, drop a line! :)
Just to say, I'd love to join. Second, RevDCM 2.6 isn't MP compatible so either play without revolutions OR play RoM 2.71. If possible could we have ANM included? I've always wanted to see my own creation in action (always modding instead of playing, but once a week would be nice.)
EDIT: Only problem is that I live in PST (GMT+7) so your 6pm is my midnight

Just to say, I'd love to join. Second, RevDCM 2.6 isn't MP compatible so either play without revolutions OR play RoM 2.71. If possible could we have ANM included? I've always wanted to see my own creation in action (always modding instead of playing, but once a week would be nice.)

Eheheh :) I'd also like to see ANM in action, but E_Pluribus_Unum hates nukes, as far as I know (especially having received some 60 nukes from me in the last game... :D - sorry, E_Pluribus_Unum, I couldn't resist... :lol:); anyway we can talk about it. Actually, the real problem could be the time difference but we can talk about it too.

Just FYI I'm going to be putting together a Multiplayer Edition of ANM... It's 2.71 compatible but with the latest fixes and additions (mostly to get the most fun out of this game with nukes)

Hey, I would like to join, too, living in CET (GMT+1) as well.
If it could be managed to have a steady, snail RoM 2.8 multiplayer-game with Afforess' coming megamodmodproject "A New Dawn" also in use,
now that would be a really nice christmas present to come...:king:

45°38'N-13°47'E;8588579 said:
Eheheh :) I'd also like to see ANM in action, but E_Pluribus_Unum hates nukes, as far as I know (especially having received some 60 nukes from me in the last game... :D - sorry, E_Pluribus_Unum, I couldn't resist... :lol:); anyway we can talk about it. Actually, the real problem could be the time difference but we can talk about it too.

I hate them before Sitting Bull and you nuked me. It's too powerful relative to the negative consequences. Kill the game balance.

Hey, I would like to join, too, living in CET (GMT+1) as well.
If it could be managed to have a steady, snail RoM 2.8 multiplayer-game with Afforess' coming megamodmodproject "A New Dawn" also in use,
now that would be a really nice christmas present to come...:king:

Snail? :eek: That is insain. Our prev. normal game speed game lasts 8 month long.
My "fasteset" snail in single player mode lasts 4 very intensive weeks.
I vote for epic.

45°38'N-13°47'E;8588478 said:
...I've read, the problem could be RevDCM. If this is going to be solved anyhow, we could start a MP game as soon as it's playable. I'd prefer playing with Rev on, so I'd wait for a fix.
I don't thing this gonna be soon. I think this means months, so I vote for starting without revolutions. :(

I'd also vote for Epic; Rev can be turned off if necessary, that's ok with me.
As for nukes killing the game balance, I think this is true if you don't build them: MAD works good enough, I think, and if not and it comes to nuclear war, both nations have chances to be destroyed: I couldn't have invaded you in our game if you had thrown some nukes at me or on my advancing units.

@DRJ; what's "A New Dawn"? link about it? :)

Don't worry E_Pluribus_Unum, I've added plenty of anti-missile projects and the holder of nukes will receive heavy maintenance fees as well as requiring a very long time to build any super nukes. On top of that I added limits to the amount of super nukes a nation is able to hold so all hell won't break loose at one time.;) (hint: GO FOR THE YAM ASAP) It's an invisible mind uploading missile so it will evade most interception and convert any city to you, but has a chance of leaving one unit behind so it will recap.

@45°38'N-13°47'E
A New Dawn is what Afforess is calling his megamodmod project

45°38'N-13°47'E;8590222 said:
I'd also vote for Epic; Rev can be turned off if necessary, that's ok with me.
As for nukes killing the game balance, I think this is true if you don't build them: MAD works good enough, I think, and if not and it comes to nuclear war, both nations have chances to be destroyed: I couldn't have invaded you in our game if you had thrown some nukes at me or on my advancing units.

Ok, I guess Epic is acceptable as a compromise then... :cool:

I would miss revolutions, though - but stability is critical.

Regarding nukes: I never like to use them but it's good to have some secret silos full of them...for retaliation... (damn i shouldn't give a tell about my strategy)

What map you guys had in mind? I would like to play Jeleens 18 civ Earth map, its balanced - and - well, Earth games are always really epic!
Besides, I would not like to play with 25 civs, 18 are enough for me.

One more question about the time/turn: I always hated Vanilla Multiplayer cause they were always in hurry, no deep strategy possible if you only have a few sec/turn.

As I am a micromanaging builder, I like to have time to make decisions, hasty players beside me drive me mad "end your turn!" "faster!", god how I hated it.
I stopped playing Multi back then because of that. I would like to see it to have no turn timer at all, not that I use very long for every move but when it gets critical I like to use my clock like in a chess game. So the others have also time to think about their moves, especially as they know I am preparing something in my backhand...^^

45°38'N-13°47'E;8590222 said:
@DRJ; what's "A New Dawn"? link about it? :)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=333478

What map you guys had in mind? I would like to play Jeleens 18 civ Earth map, its balanced - and - well, Earth games are always really epic!
Besides, I would not like to play with 25 civs, 18 are enough for me.

The game we played in the past months was on a Perfectworld map; I'd also would like to try an earth map (I usually play on it), but that depends on what most players want. If it's ok for other players, it's ok for me too: the problem is that on that map resources are not equally distributed and one can choose his civ knowing where important resources are placed...

One more question about the time/turn: I always hated Vanilla Multiplayer cause they were always in hurry, no deep strategy possible if you only have a few sec/turn.

My idea was no turn timer at all: we didn't use it in our last game and it was ok for me.

Thanks, I had a quick look at it: if it works and it causes no problem, then why not?

Can I join this? I live in GMT +2 area, and I would like to play this.

Of course, you're welcome! :)
When I have some free time (which I don't have now), I'll prepare a list of players & settings proposed and we'll start taking final decisions for the game, if it's ok for everyone! :)

Edit: Don't worry, that'll be in the next days, not weeks ;)

Hi there!

We're welcome everybody, especially if s/he is capable of running a 24/7 pitboss server with big upload bandwidth. ;)

Looks like beside Revolution Mod we have to forget BarbarianCiv Mod and barbarians themselves also to not to get OOS in MP games.:(

BTW I vote for Perfecword mapscript. Since I've tried it (nearly 2 years ago with BtS) I never left it, it's so great! Don't like premade maps. You loose the joy of exploration.
What aboult leader choice? Random or name it ahead?
Other options : No tech. brokening ON.

i know Henry VIII is not in the Lite, and he is my favourite.

Having a look at the Modules Folder the others are: AbuBakr, Afonso, Basil, Cetshwayo, Charles V, Cleopatra, Dido, Franco, Henry VIII, Hirohito, Ivan IV, Jayavarman, Joan of Arc, Kangxi, Lenin, Leonidas, Marcus, Masinissa, Nebuchadrezzar. Nerfetiti, Richelieu, Sejong, Wilhelmina.

Hi there!

We're welcome everybody, especially if s/he is capable of running a 24/7 pitboss server with big upload bandwidth. ;)

Looks like beside Revolution Mod we have to forget BarbarianCiv Mod and barbarians themselves also to not to get OOS in MP games.:(

BTW I vote for Perfecword mapscript. Since I've tried it (nearly 2 years ago with BtS) I never left it, it's so great! Don't like premade maps. You loose the joy of exploration.
What aboult leader choice? Random or name it ahead?
Other options : No tech. brokening ON.

Perfectworld is ok for me, I also think exploration is fun. I'd vote for pre-selected leaders and I'd go for Catherine, Russians. I'd prefer No Tech Brokering OFF actually, but then it depends on what other people think about it. I'll set up some polls about options and then we'll decide. The real problem is: can we play at all? Is it sufficient to turn off RevDCM? Anyone knows if a fix for RevDCM 2.6 MP is expected anytime soon? Should it be out in 2 weeks for example, would mean to restart a game after few turns (I guess everyone would prefer to play with a working version of RevDCM). What do you think?

Top Bottom