1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RoM 2.8 MP Game

Discussion in 'RoM Multiplayer' started by 45°38'N-13°47'E, Oct 28, 2009.

1. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Well, sunday evening could be ok for me too, starting at 20-20.30 CET (19-19.30 GMT). That way I think we could play 3 hours per session and that would surely make the game quicker. So, it seems that's ok with E_Pluribus_Unum, DRJ, Civ Fuehrer and me; cheesemijit and CivEikka, what about you? Hydromancerx, confirm you want to join in too? I'd say to stay within 8 human players for this game, it's easier for organization. On a following game, we can play with more players if it's working fine.

2. cheesemijit

cheesemijit Prince

that sounds good. 7pm-10pm is great actually.
    will this be an ultra-formal online game where we all try to win as quickly as possible or are most of you more casual players? i can do both.

3. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

What do you mean by "ultra-formal" or "casual"? I thought that in every game the goal is to win as quickly as possible, before others beat you to the victory... I actually played only 1 MP game with E_Pluribus_Unum and it took us a looong time to get to the victory with many unexpected turns in the process: in the end, I won by Space Race after having (in that order)
    1. conquered EPU's capital while his spaceship was 3 years away from the end of the journey
    2. razed a korean city because WK was getting a cultural victory
    3. razed a carthaginian city near to me because Hannibal was getting a cultural victory
    4. razed a viking city on another continent because Ragnar was getting a cultural victory
    5. nuked and razed ethiopian capital because ZY's spaceship was almost at destination

Is this ultra-formal or more casual? :D
    Speaking about difficulty, I usually play on noble actually and that game was on Noble level; I remember EPU proposed me to play on Prince but I actually seldom play with that level because I've been beaten many times (althoug I play Civ since Civilization 1:blush:)

4. cheesemijit

cheesemijit Prince

i have played some games with vannila bts and there are people who use crazy strategies to get super far ahead, and it becomes less fun that way.

i probally normally play too casual as i try to go for time victory always, sometimes even diable all but conquest, time and diplomatic. but i did learn some of these strategies so i could keep up with MP games but i prefer to play without them, though i think different rules would apply for RoM anyway.

5. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

I like the role-playing aspect of a multi game, especially on earth. I usually don't attack others as long as they don't pose a thread to me and rather play builder-style.
    I force others to attack that way, I know - but:
    as soon as someone attacks me I use the whole power of an industrialized empire and the few elite troops I have, positioned between the possible attacked sited hold on while my empires consripts arrive. As long as I can chose the place of the battle, I can prepare the best for that, having reinforcements near.

Often, once an enemy army is beaten the defenders tend to get momentum, strength promotions and do what the red army did with nazi germany: they follow them home and defeat them. :cool:

I play civ mainly like I would be governed in real life. I hate ultra-agressive play, but that doesn't mean I can't do it, that much I did learn, as it sometimes is necessary, of course, as 45°38'N-13°47'E described in his last post.^^

I'd like to see a half roleplay/half "real" earth game with nations not too close to each other so they can expand or conquer AI...

6. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Oh, I see your point: I actually also don't like using "crazy strategies to get super far ahead". In our game we excluded time victory as it doesn't have sense in my view (and I suppose EPU's view too, since he proposed that); I'd personally leave on every victory but time. Conquest, domination, diplomatic, space race and now scientific (never tried that one yet) are ok to me; cultural doesn't make much sense as a victory to me, but it's ok; religious is too hard to achieve I think, but it can be on. The only one I really don't like is time victory: given so many other kind of victories, I really don't understand why I should stop playing at a certain point... :rolleyes:

7. CivEikka

CivEikka Warlord

You mean 19-19:30 GMT +0, that means GMT 21-21:30 for me, and if we are going to play 3hour session, that would be 00:00-00:30 when we finish, heck I got school at mondays 8-16. :D (I have to wake up 2hours before school starts.. :F) I think maybe at evening it would be better, since some of us really have to go to work/school early.

8. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

That's why I was proposing 2 hours per session (and that's what EPU and me have done in our last game since he's in your timezone). I'm sorry but I can't be sure I can be online before 19 GMT. We could play 2 hours or 2,5 hours per session so we would finish at 23-23.30 your time. Is it acceptable?

9. CivEikka

CivEikka Warlord

Bleh, I need to sleep that I don't sleep at the lesson, happened twice.. ;)
    But if I'm problem, then play without me.

10. E_Pluribus_Unum

E_Pluribus_Unum Warlord

Sounds great! :goodjob: It's final?
    What about religions : I prefer choose religion OFF and can found ony one religion (if I'm not mistaken it's an ini setting).

11. Civ Fuehrer

Civ Fuehrer Eat, Sleep, Mod

It's an in game option from the BUG menu.

12. fearthereaper

fearthereaper Pack Leader

May I join to? I live on the East Coast and I'm usually on all the the time. If I can join, I would like to play as Tokugawa of Japan. Oh yeah and I can only PBEM, if theres any problem with that, then just let me know.

13. E_Pluribus_Unum

E_Pluribus_Unum Warlord

Hi!

PBEM meand PlayedByEMail? If so, then is's not possible. Pitboss only support TCP based communication.

14. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

Ok, let's say this: if it's ok for everyone else except CivEikka, 20-20.30 CET (19-19.30 GMT) could be final; I'm sorry for CivEikka, but it's difficult to organize a game between so many different timezones.
    About religions: I'd also prefer choose religion off, but I think that's a default option. As for "only one religion", that's a BUG option as Civ Fuehrer said; I'd personally have no problem founding more than one religion and I'd leave it that way only because it's a default option and it's better not change too many options to avoid trouble... but if it's working good, one religion is good for me too.
    @fearthereaper: sorry but that won't be a PBEM game; we'll play with Direct IP on sunday evening Central European Time and if it's ok for everyone with a Pitboss server during the week (in addition to playing on Direct IP on sunday evening); if you think you can play anyway, you're more than welcome!

That said, I must report that I had my first real problem with RoM 2.8beta in the game I'm playing in hotseat mode with my wife. We're in 2076 and we can't get past this year, no matter what even if we reload 5 turns before. I don't know what's causing the problem but the game doesn't CTD, it just falls in some kind of loop: the graphic is still moving, the clock is still working but the game remains in the "Waiting for other civilizations" phase. Any other experience with that?
    One last thing: if we start the game, I will probably not be online one week or two in december because I'm (hopefully) moving to a new flat and I don't know the time it will be necessary to have a new internet connection (hopefully a few days). Just to warn you in advance.

15. Civ Fuehrer

the waiting for other civs loop bug is caused by the SDK dividing by zero. It's been fixed for most cases for 2.8 official.

16. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Deity

The problem is that 2.8 official isn't stable in MP. So either we ask zappara to fix 2.8beta for these bugs (Astronomy and loop bug) if possible or we play 2.8 official without revdcm (if it doesn't have any other problem); or we ask to merge the previous version of revdcm in 2.8. Or we simply wait for these bugs to be fixed in a possible 2.81 version. Either way, at this stage we simply can't play in MP I think.

17. Civ Fuehrer

Well you can check with Afforess with his modmod pack, I think he has a lot of the fixes included.

18. zappara

zappara Mod Designer

Going back to previous RevDCM would be too way too time consuming and difficult. Besides the new RevDCM provided several CTD fixes that are needed for RoM as well (fixes to those bugs in RoM 2.8beta). Glider mentioned he'll make a patch for RevDCM but unfortunately his computer fried and now that patch is delayed a bit so all I can do is sit and wait...

19. E_Pluribus_Unum

E_Pluribus_Unum Warlord

Hi!
    My co-worker also can join the game if it's stats 20.30 (CET) in Sundays.
    I'm still luring my brother so maybe he's also join.

20. E_Pluribus_Unum

E_Pluribus_Unum Warlord

Hi!
    Patch for what? MP game stability? When expectable the patch?