RoM 2.8 MP Game

Is 2.8beta and 2.8 full compatible?

I don't think so although I didn't try. Since they use different version of RevDCM, I think they're not compatible; I have both installed, I think tomorrow I can try.

Will the 2.8 full and the patch be compatible?

I hope so but we can't know until the patch is done... so it looks like we'll have to wait anyway?

Going back to previous RevDCM would be too way too time consuming and difficult. Besides the new RevDCM provided several CTD fixes that are needed for RoM as well (fixes to those bugs in RoM 2.8beta). Glider mentioned he'll make a patch for RevDCM but unfortunately his computer fried and now that patch is delayed a bit so all I can do is sit and wait...

Thanks for answering zap; let's hope it won't take too long, but we'll keep on waiting for good news! :)

Well as Glider1 said it would probably be around Christmas when RevDCM 2.6 MP patch comes out, but now that his comp fried, who knows how much longer it might be.

Well guys, somehow we have to come to a decision. At the moment, I simply don't think it's possible to succesfully end a MP game. Maybe it COULD be possible with RevDCM off, but that would spoil a lot of fun. We can keep an eye on what glider's doing but for the moment we can't have an estimate on when we'll have a mp-working version of RoM with RevDCM. So, what are we going to do? Given the fact that a MP game in the way we meant to play would take months and that probably in the meantime some kind of fix will come out we can either:
1. wait for some time (Christmas? January? beginning of 2010?) to wait for a stable MP version of RoM and RevDCM
2. begin a test-game without RevDCM, knowing that it COULD end in a crash at some time and that some important features will not be working (RevDCM); and that we could end up playing an outdated and unstable game when the next version will come out. It could be useful to test how MP will work regarding pitboss, connections and every other problem not strictly related to RoM, but hardly will be the most enjoyable experience we expect it to be.
So, what's your opinion?

45°38'N-13°47'E;8615025 said:
1. wait for some time (Christmas? January? beginning of 2010?) to wait for a stable MP version of RoM and RevDCM

2. begin a test-game without RevDCM, knowing that it COULD end in a crash at some time and that some important features will not be working (RevDCM); and that we could end up playing an outdated and unstable game when the next version will come out. It could be useful to test how MP will work regarding pitboss, connections and every other problem not strictly related to RoM, but hardly will be the most enjoyable experience we expect it to be.

So, what's your opinion?

Whithout any real "hard facts" I'd vote for 1.
but I prefer 2. in the sense that two or more people do a test game for a few hours and then tell the technical results...and their own likings.

Whithout any real "hard facts" I'd vote for 1.
but I prefer 2. in the sense that two or more people do a test game for a few hours and then tell the technical results...and their own likings.

That's exectly what I was thinking about.:)

2. has already been tried by the RevDCM beta testers and it resulted in a nice and smooth gameplay without OOS errors, but the test WITH rev on did have way too many errors. I'd say just do a game without Revolutions on.

I fote for waiting 2.9, with the new RevDCM. I think, it's gonna worth to waith for it. ;)
Until we can start TEST MP games with RoM 2.8 full without Revolutions, and full logging on, to help improove MP game stability.

Ok, then EPU, DRJ, CivFuehrer and me have agreed that option nr.2 is better.
If it's ok for you guys, I think we can start a test mp game: do you all want to join? Anyone else wants to join in? I'd say let's wait until next saturday (November 14th) to see if anyone else wants to join our game; in the meantime we can discuss about this test-game options. When could we start the game? I'd say next sunday (November 15th) but I'm not sure at the moment if I can be online at 19.30 GMT, so I'd prefer the following sunday (November 22nd) just in case I can't be at home next sunday. I'm going to open another thread about this test-game with every needed info.
I'll be away from tomorrow afternoon until sunday evening, but I'll be online again as soon as I get back home. Any other suggestion?

2. has already been tried by the RevDCM beta testers and it resulted in a nice and smooth gameplay without OOS errors, but the test WITH rev on did have way too many errors. I'd say just do a game without Revolutions on.

I tried a game with two other players, plus AI's and we turned off Rev Mod via the staging room options menu and it still went oos when we attacked an enemy unit. Is there another way you guys are playing without Rev Mod?

I tried a game with two other players, plus AI's and we turned off Rev Mod via the staging room options menu and it still went oos when we attacked an enemy unit. Is there another way you guys are playing without Rev Mod?

Well ask Glider1 and Jdog5000, they know exactly what the deal is with MP.

I'm not in on the games you are planning, but we play 2.71 MP with few problems (the occasional random OOS and we have to agree in advance what option to pick if a city goes into revolution and give the player with the city a chance to make his/her choice). If there isn't a good solid 2.8 MP patch, we may continue to modmod 2.71 and just make it our long term mod. It's acceptable and we are making balance tweaks and changes to civics and add modmods until it suits us. We do play with Revolutions and Barb Civs on, with tech trading off (just to make it a bit harder!) at Monarch. We turned off the random events to avoid the broken ones and have tweaked the revolutions so they slow expansion without crippling the AI.

Anyway, if you can't get a good game of 2.8 going (you can try the 2.8 beta - that's based on the RevDCM that is used for 2.71 and should work ok), I'd suggest going back to 2.71 for now and continuing to mess with that. :)

Have you tested how the multiplayer game works with v2.8 + Hotfix 3? I'd like to know if any of those python changes had any effect to OOS frequency.
Hi!

The test game start this or next Sunday. We will play 2.8 full with hotfix 3, but without Revolution, BarbCiv and Barbrainas. I think hotfix 3 does not made any changes in this area. Or does it?
Do not worry, if there is OOS, CTD, etc, we'll let you know. ;) It's going to be a test game, so we're planning to enable as many logging feature as possible.
BTW can you post what logging should we enable, and how to do it?

Thanks!

Have you tested how the multiplayer game works with v2.8 + Hotfix 3? I'd like to know if any of those python changes had any effect to OOS frequency.

it doesn't change anything. still oos when attacking a barbs . . . didn't try further

it doesn't change anything. still oos when attacking a barbs . . . didn't try further
Ok. Have you tried a game using "No barbarians" game option?

no but I will try tonight.
But what I can tell is that if I attack an other civ (AI) it goes OOS . . .

Top Bottom