RoM Shortcut

Civ Fuehrer

Drifting through space, lost
Well, I'm not sure if there's anything on here about making a shortcut for RoM from the desktop, but i found out how to from FFH, and the best way to do it is:
  1. Create a new shortcut for BTS
  2. go to the shortcut properties
  3. look for a textbox called Target (i have Vista, not sure if its the same on other OS's)
  4. after Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" (yes, it should have a ") type mod=\Rise of Mankind (with a space in front of the word mod)
  5. so it should look something like "C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\Rise of Mankind

The above instructions worked for me! For my game, however, I had to take out the 2k Games folder. So my target was:

"C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\Rise of Mankind

A simple cut and paste worked great! :D

Thanks for bumping this, although, I figured this out several months ago. Skipping the BtS screen save people troubleshooting their modules (like me) a lot of time.

I quickly created an icon using four different historical images representing four different themes and times (Ancient Egyptian funeral panel, Mongol invasion of Cuman, two Weimar Politicians, and Petronas Twin Towers). I am uploading it in case anybody wants to use something other than the BtS Icon.

Preview

Attachments

• Rise of Mankind Icon.rar
    10.7 KB · Views: 415
I just chanced upon this thread, by chance I tracked down replacement icons for my ROM installation yesterday and I've attached them. They are both globe icons of the Earth, one in blue and one green. They are 256x256 so they support Vista and Windows 7 large icon views well.

Attachments

• Earth Icons.7z
    103.7 KB · Views: 311
Yes! It works! I like bypassing the system! I also work Vista, so I don't have to tear folders out. Thanks a lot!

Thanks for bumping this, although, I figured this out several months ago. Skipping the BtS screen save people troubleshooting their modules (like me) a lot of time.

I quickly created an icon using four different historical images representing four different themes and times (Ancient Egyptian funeral panel, Mongol invasion of Cuman, two Weimar Politicians, and Petronas Twin Towers). I am uploading it in case anybody wants to use something other than the BtS Icon.

What do you use to open and look at it, i dont have anything that is currently on my PC that can open this icon?

It did not work for me, here is what I had to add at the end of the shortcut mod=\"Rise of Mankind"

I have the Steam version, so maybe it makes a difference, but I thought I'd share my experience so others can benefit.

poilbrun: no quotation marks around the mod name.

If you create a shortcut to the .exe for BTS, it will already have the path to that exe in quotes, something like "C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" (or whatever path your steam install has).

After that closing ", add a space, then mod=\Rise of Mankind

The final line would then look like

"C:\[path to civ 4 directory]\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\Rise of Mankind

That should work fine with the Steam version as well.

I'm running the game on 7, but the Target: text is grayed out, which must mean I can't access it.

Any solutions?

I shut it off in Control Panel, had to reboot, but the Target is still inaccessible.

I shut it off in Control Panel, had to reboot, but the Target is still inaccessible.

If you still need the shortcut, here's how I did it.

Do not create new shortcut for BTS. Instead you need to find the proper path for the BTS shortcut. In my Windows 7 it was: "C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4 Beyond the Sword.exe".

Note: AppData may be a "hidden" file which has to be "un-hidden" in Control Pane.

Once in the location I located an ".exe" file (happened to be: Civ4BtS-MCE which was a Media Center or something add on). I sent this to the desktop as a new shortcut and was able to open the shortcut properties and access the Target area. In there I deleted the extension for the MCE program and substituted the "mod=\Rise of Mankind".

Worked perfectly.

Same here. still greyed out. Using 7

If you still need the shortcut, here's how I did it.

Do not create new shortcut for BTS. Instead you need to find the proper path for the BTS shortcut. In my Windows 7 it was: "C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4 Beyond the Sword.exe".

Note: AppData may be a "hidden" file which has to be "un-hidden" in Control Pane.

Once in the location I located an ".exe" file (happened to be: Civ4BtS-MCE which was a Media Center or something add on). I sent this to the desktop as a new shortcut and was able to open the shortcut properties and access the Target area. In there I deleted the extension for the MCE program and substituted the "mod=\Rise of Mankind".

Worked perfectly.

Top Bottom