Root Mafia (Game Thread - Mafia Victory)

Him complaining about people having high mafia expectations of him is weird since i dont think he's done anything to even really earn townreads yet, much less earn tinfoils

Arakhor ISO. He's a bizarre combination of impeccable tone and zero content, and I'm still not quite sure what to make of him. He's PoE for sure. Otherwise??

Well, I've never played with half of you, so that's a good start. :sad:

But hello to new and returning friends!

I see that other people have stolen my "British and bad at mafia, despite playing it for years" niche.

I absolutely agree that "no-lynch" is almost always a bad option, but given that four factions are noted in the write-up and their colours correspond with the four animal heads Pzelda posted, I think we can be fairly certain that there are four factions (or, at the very least, three other non-town win conditions).

That is a surprising amount so early, yes.

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't be surprised if town isn't even in the majority.

That last one is a bit odd. Ras took it as an indication of a large scum team, if Arakhor is scum; it might be a breadcrumb that he's third party and is expectign there to be others like him. Third party would be consistent with his combination of tone and content as well.

Given that we literally had a discussion about the multiple factions in-thread, either Marl wasn't paying attention or he's blustering. Neither's a particularly good look.

Is there a provisional vote tally available?

Why are people voting for Inawordyes?

Similarly, is this you being facetious or is there something you twigged?

Derpcleared? Looking townie because you said something stupid?

I will take a moment to point out that Multi-Quote is a thing.

You're ten hours behind now? At least the weather is rather better than the Pacific NW!

In my experience, Takhisis plays virtually the same as town as he does when he's scum and this is a multi-faction game, so it's all really in the air anyway. We're certainly more likely to get someone who's non-town, but whether they're anti-town is a whole other matter.

As Choxorn noted, indeed I have, but as I'm sure you'll appreciate, in a multi-faction game with lots of people you haven't played with before, it can be tricky to work out what on earth is going on, especially with people still favouring random votes very near the end of D1.

Can you tell me why you think that?

Why's this? Did I miss your reasoning?

I tend to think positively of Choxorn, regardless of his alignment. :undecide:

Are you joking? I last posted just half an hour ago, quoting you. This is ridiculous. Vote: JohannaK.

So as you can see, right up until this snap vote on JohannaK, the pattern is a very high proportion of "off-topic" (game set-up, etc) comments to game-related ones, combined with several mild questions/mild rebukes of other players but never an ounce of follow-up.

Well, it's a fast-moving thread, but to be so forgetful is, as you put it, not very encouraging.

I am so confused about what's going on right now.

The next batch of quotes are during night. Arakhor sticking around to chit-chat right after day-end would normally be a good luck, but yeah.

This must be the first game I've been in where town are narratively the bad guys.

That seems like a terrible role idea.

Oh, heh, I didn't realise that it was your game. ;)

What on earth is twtbaf?

Doesn't everybody? (Except Jo this game, it seems!)

No, the timing was just a coincidence.

I think that G1K's comment about someone flipping not necessarily being alignment-indicative is on its face accurate enough, but I dunno why anyone would claim (even flippantly) to be power wolfing.

Given that Takh has built a not-undeserved reputation for frequently being deliberately unreadable, I'm not sure whether his flipping scum would be any different to actually being town.

Again, this is words, but it's saying NOTHING!

Say, what? What gives you the idea he had a "VERY strong" power?

First post of day two, in response to me talking about Rhand.

Oh right, yes. Now I remember. Then again, with Argon in the game, I tend to be extremely sceptical of wild power claims.

Ok, I'd love more thoughts on this. We can be fairly certain that at least one scum team targeted Rhand, and it's a distinct possibility that both did. What are the odds that a member of a scum team who targeted Rhand would be able to pull off this kind of thing? I've played with Arakhor a lot, although it was a long time ago, and can't remember anything similar from him.

What are the odds that a member of a scum team that did not target Rhand would nevertheless be able to forget all about him? Higher, I think?

Good luck with that one.

If Rhand was telling the truth about being a third-party, that would suggest that the Vagabonds aren't a unified faction.

Another slightly off-kilter post that could hypothetically be a bread crumb.

Yeah, well Argon's role claims can't be trusted any further than you can throw them. In that respect, he's just as actively unhelpful towards town as Takhisis can be.

Click on the search bar beneath Inbox, Alerts, etc., click on "Search this thread only" and then type in the poster's name. You will get a maximum of 200 posts back.

Well, I think it's flattering that you think my D1 reticence was due to some wolfy master-plan, rather than being a fast-moving thread with a game half-full of people I've never played with before.

It's not relevant to this game, of course, but I've designed more than one multi-faction game. You kind of need to have more mafia than normal, as mafia no longer have PIS and to keep town on their toes.

If I weren't so committed to burying G1K first I'd be highly tempted to threaten Arakhor with lynch or role-claim, and I'm still a little tempted. Because this is unlikely to be a townie.

tl;dr on Arakhor for those who won't read all those quotes: Great tone paired with lack of content, no notable scum equity with anybody else at this point, couple of comments and circumstances that might suggest another Vagabond, doubtful town.

I think it was Renata who said that but I agree that if Radishes is prohibited from talking at night then it is probably not linked to a certain alignment for balance reasons.
I didn't say anything about people not being able to post.

Him complaining about people having high mafia expectations of him is weird since i dont think he's done anything to even really earn townreads yet, much less earn tinfoils

An that is exactly my problem, why would I be like this is I can pull a townread?
I do something is suss
if I don't is suss

if Esooa says she is busy it's OMG so towny
if I do it's suss

I already said I want to vote Renata

but not opposed to choro or G1K
Radish I have no opinion

Given that I'm not getting lynched today, another vote on G1K would be appreciated if it's close at EoD.

Votecount:
golden1knight (4):
renata, raskolnikov, choxorn, ace marvel
ace marvel (2): takhisis, lord argon
arakhor (2): golden1knight, legacy of smiles
takhisis (2): esooa, marluxion
loderingo (1): el-ahrairah
master radishes (1): inawordyes

Not voting (self-voting): arakhor, loderingo, master radishes

Marl's vote in the previous votecount should have counted. Sorry, my mistake.
7 hours left till brawl.

tl;dr on Arakhor for those who won't read all those quotes: Great tone paired with lack of content, no notable scum equity with anybody else at this point, couple of comments and circumstances that might suggest another Vagabond, doubtful town.

Probably because I knew what I was talking about there. Trying to scare up reads is inherently much more dice, because whether I'm town or not, I'm always faking it until I make it (or get killed off in the attempt).

Probably because I knew what I was talking about there. Trying to scare up reads is inherently much more dice, because whether I'm town or not, I'm always faking it until I make it (or get killed off in the attempt).
Sorry, can you restate? I don't understand what you're responding to specifically.

@Ace -- I'll take it!

I find it easier to say things that I'm confident about, which is why it comes out sounding better.

I'm currently working on an ISO, just so you can spot the instant change in tone when it comes. :)

I eagerly await it.

if you are town, and everyone suss you and basically you are set to die, can you still lol post for the rest of the day?

Like I'm not even gonna try. You already made your mind.
Or should I just don't post anymore?

First we have the lol-posting of Kpop (?) and then these self-defeatist posts, followed by more lol-posting. He then claims to be "busy with life" - big deal, we all are. Just don't play if you're too busy.

Assuming that he hasn't in fact immediately given up as a townie, this screams either a jester role (Vagabond, perhaps) or a scum trying to pose as an angry townie so that people do exactly what Renata did and say, "sod it, I'm not dealing with this".

I really want you all to kill me so you psych out of "Ace played one good game as mafia once" you are giving me way to much credit.

This is another jestery post...

would it mean anything?

If I'm a goner at least you could take my reads seriously

...and this one is the "defeatist, pity party" role again.

An that is exactly my problem, why would I be like this is I can pull a townread?
I do something is suss
if I don't is suss

if Esooa says she is busy it's OMG so towny
if I do it's suss

And this comes under the category of "it sucks, but what are you going to do about it?"

So, I'm in the position of thinking he's either a bad player/a bad sport, which I prefer not to think about anyone, he's trying to get himself lynched or he's in full scum WIFOM mode ("he's a jester, so let's not lynch him").

He has a definite spot in my "executables" list, but then I have a low tolerance for actively unhelpful people.

First we have the lol-posting of Kpop (?) and then these self-defeatist posts, followed by more lol-posting. He then claims to be "busy with life" - big deal, we all are. Just don't play if you're too busy.

Assuming that he hasn't in fact immediately given up as a townie, this screams either a jester role (Vagabond, perhaps) or a scum trying to pose as an angry townie so that people do exactly what Renata did and say, "sod it, I'm not dealing with this".

This is another jestery post...

...and this one is the "defeatist, pity party" role again.

And this comes under the category of "it sucks, but what are you going to do about it?"

So, I'm in the position of thinking he's either a bad player/a bad sport, which I prefer not to think about anyone, he's trying to get himself lynched or he's in full scum WIFOM mode ("he's a jester, so let's not lynch him").

He has a definite spot in my "executables" list, but then I have a low tolerance for actively unhelpful people.

Actions speak louder than words vote me.

I am confused by the 3p kill, unless a faction has a win con that the 3p could disrupt. 3ps usually have a hard time not being voted in my experience, since it risks being a fake claim by mafia. Also the lack of two kills seems to indicate that either both factions killed the raccoon, or that there is a protective role in town or mafia. Or the person they tried to kill was ace who I was role checking/blocking/jailing/bus driving/tracking.
Multi all always makes my head hurt. Wolves have incentive to scum hunt and have the lack of info necessary to be genuinely villagery while doing so. I regret missing rod last time and not voting so I shall vote here for my favorite, a tie. You know the rules so prepare to die,
Vote: Ace
Well Take I thought you were mainly doing it because of Kpop so I think if you have someone better then yeah vote away, not just cause of me.
They a like a deer in the headlights

Well, I was going to ISO Argon, but he posted a whole bunch of nonsense on D1 (I would hesitate to call them WIFOM, because I'm not even sure he was intending them to be taken seriously) and then only posted four times today. So, it's just nonsense followed by lurking.

You need to learn a lot about Ace Marvel, saying posting Kpop is locating is just wrong.

@Renata I hope this was not the ISO that will solve that slot, you were waiting for.
Is is just repairing what everybody already said, and is the perfect cover.

Top Bottom