ROTQM10: Raging Over the Quarreling Mountains

Totally confused on roster at this point. Can our leader post on.

I'm guessing its

pigswill just played

mystyfly UP

pholkhero on deck

But its down to our glorious leader to post a definitive roster.

Couple of comments/questions:

- Is there an urgent need to seal off the southern passage where GK could attack, ie did he send any units that way?

- Moscov really should work some more scientists, at least until that GS is in. BTW all it needs there is one unit for MP.

- Novgorod otoh is poor food-surplus-wise and should rather stop running specs after the GS.

- I'm not sure we should go into full-military mode yet, we don't have the economic stability yet. I'll keep a few cities on units, but most on wealth.

- I agree with CoL, on the route to CS.

Haven't seen any units from GK down south, seen a couple of keshiks further north. Our spy is beginning to head south into mongol territory so that should give us some more info.

I've only just taken moscow off GS production to grow it a bit, also wasn't sure if we were teching or going on a whipping frenzy to knock out an elepult stack (hence 0% research).

Grow moscov on 1F tiles? ;)

Well right now it certainly looks like we're going for a killing spree, which is an important decision that we should discuss. IMO we first have to invest a little more into our eco (infra, especially CH builds) so we don't get stranded at zero research. As it is now, we have plenty of units for self-defence but not enough for a proper attack. I'd say we stay in infra mode until we get maces.

hey all...sorry for the absence...my laptop fell and the display screen is all f-ed up so i couldn't get online until i could get to teh library. then, apparently, my password wasn't working with my pholkhero login AND my email addy is linked to some other acct here. so, i was forced to wait until i could get back to my home pc before I could log on. it was a debacle all around. I AM still around, and kicking, but now when i'm on the road trying to find a new job during the week, it seems i'll be incomunicado all-together unless i start bringing a monitor to the library for my laptop (we'll see how long my embarassment at that lasts until i actually AM bringing the monitor).

in any case, i like the plan mysty has outlined above, but still feel strange not attacking anyone so late in the game. but, if that's what the consensus is, it sounds good to me.

also, if you can mysty, try to play ASAP so that I can grab it before I need to go to Philly again later this week since my kids have off from school for the jewish holidays coming up.

the original roster can still stand (similar to the oen Pigs posted) but if i don't answer any posts in a day or so, you should (unfortunately) assume i'm incommunicado...

doh! i just realized that now that i'm here, perhaps i'll just change my password (durp!) so i can log in and at least comment at the libraries near me when i'm in philly.

pholkhero said:
in any case, i like the plan mysty has outlined above, but still feel strange not attacking anyone so late in the game. but, if that's what the consensus is, it sounds good to me.
Thing is, there is no consensus since there is no discussion. I'm tired of waiting and am playing now, according to what I consider best.

I'm afraid I somehow lost my pics so I only have the report. I played 10t.

Start by doing some MM like working 1f2h tile instead of 1f1h tile in southeastern city and moving two grass mine citizens in moscov to the science lab (still growth in 2), I also cancel unstarted units in favour of wealth.

Turn 1-4

Not much happens, some whipping, some unit movement. I decide to take out coimbra, a hill city that should be easily defendable with plenty of rivers. It cuts joaos empire (#1 AI) into two pieces. I start with some bombarding.

I think in T4 is the GS born in Novgorod, after that I fire the scientists. Mines = early game production, and we should leverage the fact that we have both the hills and the food to work them.

Turn 5

CoL in, set research to CS and start courthouses in several cities.

Turn 6

GS settled in moscov as neither bulbing nor academy is appealing (we already have an academy in moscov). OTOH we might bulb philo to get a religion but I'm not a huge fan of that. We can always build missionaries in captured cities.

Turn 7

After some bombardement, 1 suicide cat, and at the expense of one axe, we capture Coimbra. We kill at least 4 units and get a GG.

Turn 9

We meet alex' scout down south. BTW there was a barb warrior as well at some point but nothing else.

GK shows up with a small stack, a bunch of keshiks and swords but no siege :crazyeye:

The GG turns the medic 2 axe into a super-medic (with morale to get 2MP).

I opt to distribute defences of coimbra and st pete as they are since coimbra has no cultural defences. I doubt we'll have any kind of trouble with that stack from GK. It'll be a couple of turns before he reaches any city, by that time we could enforce either city by moving along our soon-to-be-built road (careful not to get that worker caught).

As soon as CS is in we should go into unit building mode. In anticipation of that I started a market in moscov (buero cap and low slider), while getting to machinery for maces. We can start launching proper attacks before maces of course, with our phants. The goal should be to keep a minimal frontline for easier defence. Probably attack leiria next, followed by moving north towards joao's cap. The AI are terribly weak and backwards.

Attachments

• ROTQM10 AD-0860.CivBeyondSwordSave
    235.2 KB · Views: 23
Good work!

As soon as CS is in we should go into unit building mode. In anticipation of that I started a market in moscov (buero cap and low slider), while getting to machinery for maces. We can start launching proper attacks before maces of course, with our phants. The goal should be to keep a minimal frontline for easier defence. Probably attack leiria next, followed by moving north towards joao's cap. The AI are terribly weak and backwards.

Agreed. Whip courthouses and overflow into some units (elephants and catapults) for the Portugese war.

Should probably look at which cities to keep and which to raze.

Guess pholk is up but if he doesn't grab it in next 2 days, I'll jump in.

IIRC Portugal and Viking have close capitals. The would be an area worth keeping. Maybe build the FP in that area.

OTOH any smaller city should be razed unless it gives us a new resource.

i've got the save and am on it either tonight or tomorrow mornin'. will see to the whippin of some justice (both C'houses adn units)

phreakin' a-! forgot the whipping!! stoopid, stoopid, stoopid!!

in any case, for an AW game, it's VERY little action right now.

we bravely faced GK's stack, and destroyed it, losing a worker i didnt notice hanging around loose.

Joao also sent a small stack to our newly-conquered city, which was defeated (excepting losing a spear to an ele!?!) The ele is still there as i'm hesitant to take it out until we're ready to move in.

Also, India's sending units to us now, via a secretive path (the little devil):

[notice the sword/axe combo to the west on our pigs there ~ they need to be taken care of as well]

I'm also constructing a fort here

sio that we can defend either city in our west when needed. also, i put a sign 1E of Evora as a defensive city to act as a target.

however, i feel like we're somewhat stalled. We need to move into Portugal more and I *think* we're ready to go, but we'll have losses. I'm also hesitant to leave our city exposed up there w/o any real defense.

i wouldn't worry too much about the Indian gambit here ~ once they suicide, it'll be mop up. we've got 4 units there, with another 2 or 3 on the way if needed.

pholkhero >> just played
ozbenno >> UP NOW
LKendter >> on deck
rolo
pigswill
mystyfly

Attachments

• ROTQM10 AD-1010.CivBeyondSwordSave
    246.6 KB · Views: 26
pholk said:
we bravely faced GK's stack, and destroyed it, losing a worker i didnt notice hanging around loose.
Though I *DID* warn you about that ;)

Keeping or razing cities is indeed a delicate matter imo. I'd only keep cities with at least 1 food source or else they're destined to be crap forever. We probably shouldn't be keeping many cities, they won't be well developed and we'll soon be bleeding cash, until we get to communism (big time target for us here). We are going for domination I assume..? About FP, building it is a good idea, but we should see that we put it far away from cap or else it won't be much use.

About the save: We should secure the southern passage with a few units and a fort (not in the middle of our own land?!?). Why did we start a CH in coimbra instead of some culture building? That means cultural defences and more territory. :eek: at 3 corn nidaros, that is a priority, we still lack a proper GPFarm. Oh and :lol: at fortified copper in nidaros' third ring :p Up north is a barb city, polynesian, with corn, sheep, whale and 2 FP, another city for keeping. I guess techpace after CS, MC > machinery is obvious.

oh yeah!! lol!!! india is purple though right? just not that light??

i built the fort there to take the brunt of any attacks from the west there for the time being, my thinking being the AI will be drawn to it (though it may be a specious argument...)

Played 10 turns, which was enough to bag us Civil Service and Metal Casing. Research set on Machinery but no beakers invested.

I revolted to Bureaucracy as well.

We had a GS lying about. Only decent place for Academy now is capital and it already has one. So I bulbed Philosophy

Reason is, we are mighty Russians and we are going to win this game with Cossacks, which we need Philosophy for.

I reckon we can do some damage with Maces and Trebs (Engineering after Machinery) but then we need Curassiers and then Cossacks to get the far flung empires.

And we have a religion (haven't switched yet).

Took some of the boys out to Portugal for some sight-seeing, encountered a massive stack of Mongols, comprised of horse units and catapults only. We lost a spear in the exchanges and now we can right this very second take Evora. Didn't know whether to raze or not so up to the group, I think raze even though it has clams.

And Ragnar the Indian, suicided his stack against us and we lost one elephant, while he lost everything...

More troops, more attacking and more winning is all that is required.

Attachments

• ROTQM10 AD-1110.CivBeyondSwordSave
    261.7 KB · Views: 26
Generally looking good. I'd keep evora. Good to have a border city where the best tile won't be pillaged.

Some of the MM choices I can't really understand though. Why is Moscov not working its corn? Our number one military city should be working a grass hill instead of grass forest. What does novgorod want with scientists? Firing them for riverside grass hills goes from 40b/3g to 35b/9g and +2 food. Rostov, Yakutsk and Coimbra are working unimproved grass tiles while forests are available.

Puh :p

In regard to infra, I generally build forges in every city, both for the happiness and the production boost that applies to pretty much everything. They're not that expensive. I'd also build stables only in the highest prod cities and mark those so we only build horsies there. Cities with smaller production output can build wealth or stuff like city defenders, MPs or spies.

Technologically, I think our immediate goal is cossacks, while we want to take a high-beaker tech off lib. Considering the weak AIs we can focus on the guilds route for now and wait on the lib route.

Top Bottom