RSG 02 (Deity) - The Randomness Continues

Turn 90 – 625 BC – Former Queen Maria Bugsette awakes one morning to find her chambermaid gently nudging her shoulder. “What?” she groans.

“Your majesty, there is a young man here that can restore you to your throne. You can be queen once again!”

Now she was wide awake. “Bring this man to me at once. If what you say is true, both you and the man will be rewarded handsomely.”

Sure enough, the maid was correct and the young man was knighted Sir Geekalot for his service to the new queen.

Queen Maria Bugsette 2.0 opened the save, immediately received this message:

“I’m not sure what that means for ruling my kingdom, but I guess the Pope likes us.”

But that was the end of her joy that morning for she found that her kingdom was at war with an evil Polish dictator, Casmir. The treasury was losing money (5 gpt) and she could not pay to upgrade the weapons of her archers. There wasn’t a strategic road system so she could quickly move her troops to the front, but she saw that Queen Olodune had wisely managed the production of the Portuguese cities and that things could possibly get better. She called on her wisest military mind, her Uncle Bugs for whom she was named in part. First, she knighted him.

“Oh Sir Uncle Bugs, can you lead our brave warriors in the battle with the mongrel Polish hordes?”

“Most certainly your majesty,” He said with a bow. “Casmir has a mighty military, but he does not understand terrain and his tactics are questionable. He has not brought all his forces to bear on Mte. Mariagurra. If he continues to be foolish, then we can eventually crush his army and make him pay for his insolence. It will be a long and difficult war, your majesty, but I think we can someday bring the swine groveling before you.”

“Thank you Uncle.”

IBT - The Queen Maria Bugsette 2.0 presses the button on her kingdom monitoring device and the world begins to spin again. Attila moves a force menacingly close to Mte. Mariagurra.

“Uncle, what shall we do? Those battering rams would bring our city to ruin very quickly. “
“First, I suggest you start praying to Nossa Senhora that Attila may hold off on his attack for a few turns.”

The queen watches as one of her composite bowmen is wounded by Polish composites.
The Inca complete Hagia Sophia.

Turn 91 – 600 BC – General Sir Bugsy directs the city of Mte. Mariagurra to bombard the Polish horse outside the gates. The horse falls (1-0). The composite is attacked by three ranged units, but the unit remains on his feet.

IBT – The scout far to our south falls to a Polish horseman and saves us 1 gpt. (1-1) The Inca complete Borobudur. The Poles bombard a comp bowman and the Huns do not declare. Bronze Working completes. We do not have any iron, but Zurich has 2, Attila has 12, and Casmir has 14. Such a balanced resource distribution.

Turn 92 - 575 BC - Bombard and kill the Polish comp bow. (2-1) Casmir has moved a settler pair in our direction. There are two Polish scouts outside of Lisboa. Why two? I have no idea. A great general emerges from our leadership corps.

Here is the present situation:

It will most likely turn very ugly in the next turn or two. We do have a decision to make on what to research next – catapults v. horsemen. They are both 6 turns. I am inclined to research mathematics for the catapults. We only have three horses and zero iron. I will wait 24 hours for the team to check in.

Horsemen. Catapults are good against cities, and cities aren't reasonable targets for the immediate future.

Brace for impact!

The queen’s Scottish uncle Duncan MacBugs suddenly arrived in Lisboa. “Uncle Duncan! What a pleasure to see you. “

“Aye lass, an' a pleasure tae see ye an all. Ah fear thaur is a storm brewin' in th' west. Th' villain Attila has his soldiers an' siege machines jist athwart th' river. ‘Tis much fur a wee bonny lass tae undertake.”

“Thank you Uncle, but we have no choice but to fight if Attila attacks. Can you help Uncle Bugs and me?

“Aye lassie, I’ll see whit Ah can dae. Ah can’t make onie promises, but Ah will dae mah best fur ye mah bonnie bairn. Ah have heard frae a auld an’ thornie wizard named Beorn o’ th' North that men can be trainin' tae ride oan horses. These men will make a formidable foe tae th’ Hun.”

“Oh Uncle, that is wise counsel indeed. We were just pondering which path we should set our best scientists upon. Men upon horses. I shall call them horsemen. Sergeant at Arms! Please pass my uncle’s counsel on to our chief scientist at once!”

“Aye, aye, your majesty.”

IBT – No Hun declaration. He moves some battering rams closer. By leading with battering rams, the Huns can be thwarted. They can only attack cities, they cannot attack units.

Turn 93 – 550 BC – Bombard a Polish sword.

IBT – Somebody far away completed the Oracle.

Turn 94 – 525 BC – Lisboa: comp bow => spear (useful against battering rams)
Ponta Rosa: library => spear

IBT – Here’s the :smoke: move of the day. Why yes, Casmir, I would like a free worker.

Again, no Hun declaration.

Turn 95 – 500 BC – Start by capturing that settler and leaving him out there as bait. Finish off the Polish sword and start in on the horseman. (3-1)

You're doing a good job fighting off Casimir's troops! And it's just a matter of time until Attila strikes, I wonder what he's waiting for...

Also, I love your roleplaying. It took me some time to understand what the Scottish uncle was saying. :lol:

IBT – Incas complete the Great Mosque. They are cranking out the wonders.

Turn 96 – 475 BC – Attila seems to be massing his forces toward Lisboa now.

IBT – Casmir moves a second horse next to Mte Mariagurra without attacking.

Turn 97 – 450 BC – Take out the two horses (5-1). That drops Casmir out of the top spot demographically in soldiers. Attila of course is now first.
HBR completes, go for sailing next. A spear will complete next turn in Lisboa and then we’ll go for some horses.

IBT – Here is the surprise of the day:

IBT (con’t) – Someone is into the renaissance, because we now have a spy.

Turn 98 – 425 BC - Bombard and take out a Hun sword. (6-1) Our warrior may be exposed here though. Assign the spy to Attila’s Court.
Lisboa: spear => caravan. We need money badly.

IBT – Things are not looking good. Attila’s horse archers tear up our troops. We lose a warrior, an archer, and a composite bow. Casmir takes out another comp bow, plus he finally recaptures his settler/worker. (6-5)

Turn 99 – 400 BC – Bombard and take out a Hun sword outside of Lisboa. (7-5)

Change Lisboa to a comp bow. Our need for money has decreased since we have lost some troops.

IBT – Lose another warrior to horse archers (7-6). Casmir has finally started attacking Mte. Mariagurra. Someone completed the Alhambra.

Turn 100 – 375 BC – Shoot at a battering ram near Lisboa and the melee sword near Mte. Mariagurra.

Sailing is complete. Here are our options for the next research:

Here is the tactical situation:

While Queen Maria Bugsette 2.0 is standing next to an open window, an errant arrow comes through and mortally wounds her. She grabs her Uncle Bugs’ arm, chose a worth queen to replace me uncle. Then she is dead.

Sir Bugs consults with his brother Duncan and they send a messenger to Beorn of the North. “Your fair and brilliant daughter Princess Maria Beorna must come to the capitol at once to assume the throne. Her country needs her in this time of perilous peril.”

Beorn <= up
Gurra <= on deck
Menelann
Olodune
Bugs <= just played

And the save to the next better player.

Attachments

• RSG2_Maria I_0100 BC 0375.zip
    993.2 KB · Views: 169
Bugs said:
IBT &#8211; Here is the surprise of the day:
Nobody expects the Hunnic aggression!

I just played. Pretty sure it's Gurra's turn to do the honours.

OK, let's try again:

Gurra <= up
Menelann <= on deck
Olodune
Beorn
Bugs <= just played

Who's up for a blaze of glory!?!

Right, I'm up! Queen Gurramaria is chosen by Uncle Bugsy to defend her ancestor Mariagurra's honour. (Is our Portugal some kind of elective monarchy?)

Right, I'm up! Queen Gurramaria is chosen by Uncle Bugsy to defend her ancestor Mariagurra's honour. (Is our Portugal some kind of elective monarchy?)
Our Portugal is a strange form of government. The executive is chosen by the wisest elders, or sometimes, by whomever is available to rule for the next 400 years. :D

Some observations after looking at the save. We need to decide what tech to go for before I can play. Iron Working would make sense if we had any iron but we don't so we won't get any swordsmen. I'm thinking Mathematics since it would lead us to Currency and some Market money if we were to survive this two-front assault. Also Catapults if we can turn things around and conquer (or reconquer) cities.

Attila's cities tell us what other civs exist in the game. We know the four of us on this continent already and his cities Kamakuro, Anchorage and Patigrbana tells us Japan, America and Persia are in the game on some other continent. Only one civ remains a mystery.

Also, I opened the save with the Civ Names by Policies mod active (which doesn't affect save games so you won't need it to play any saves I submit, it's just for flavour during my turnset). Basically, civs are renamed depending on what policies they get. Our country is simply Portugal at the moment but our neighbors are the Incan Catholic Order, Hunnic Despotate, and the Kingdom of Poland.

Despotate ... sounds like they're a potato nation. Mathematics -> currency indeed sound good, we've been strapped for gold all game.

Bugs said:
whomever is available to rule for the next 400 years.
To be fair, that's kind of a tall order for any one monarch to achieve.

Godspeed, Gurramaria of Portugal!

Mathematics -> currency indeed sound good, we've been strapped for gold all game.

Godspeed, Gurramaria of Portugal!

I agree with both these points. This is not going to be easy :lol: The only good news is that those battering rams should help block the hunnic horde ...

Maybe Cas will agree to peace soon?

Top Bottom