RtW: Add-On Pack 2 Release!

also using 3.13

Starting a new game was fine, but loading any saves or even autosaves and attempting to load them failed.

In loading save files, the description text for Finland is not properly loaded.

Attachments

• rtw_error1.gif
    rtw_error1.gif
    141 KB · Views: 365
  • AutoSave_AD-1939-September-Fortnight 1.CivBeyondSwordSave
    687 KB · Views: 87
I wonder if artillery are supposed to be such hellacious defenders? My tanks attacking a city with 99.9% odds repeatedly get slaughtered by the opposing artillery with their automatic and repeated defense attacks.

I wonder if artillery are supposed to be such hellacious defenders? My tanks attacking a city with 99.9% odds repeatedly get slaughtered by the opposing artillery with their automatic and repeated defense attacks.

Interesting, haven't had a chance to play yet but from a realism POV this sounds good. I think even if we've forgotten the lessons of WWII about armour vulnerability in urban areas then more recent events should have reminded us of them. Still I don't know that the stupid AI can use armour effectively if it needs to try and use them in open (non city) engagements.

Dan

I may be the only one having trouble like this but I find the game crashing between turns on separate dates should I reinstall? and what should I reinstall both BTS and the Addon pack 2? :king: boxNJ also have 3.13 installed

Hi everyone,

first of all, thanks for the new rtw2, I like the smaller countries, its more like in history. Its true, the Tiger Tank must be stronger than the middle one, and why it takes same rounds to make the light and the middle ? Btw: There was a tank-hunter tank in ww2, named "Panther", it was a nice machine, many other tanks learned not to meet that beast :)

I started to play Germany and crashed after reloading saved games today, regardless of automatic saved games or any other manually saved game. I started the scenario in rtw2 yesterday and saved it.

Its the Hitler 1936 "free game scenario" and I used the world-builder option (*shame on me*, I only wanted a few more fighters), but i think thats not the reason cause I played about 4 houres without any trouble.

On my XP machine with sp2 the error message told me something about "msvcp71.dll". Thats a file in the civ4 folder. I turned the game on my vista laptop and can play after reloading, but another error message there told me something like "kann speicherdaten nicht komprimieren" (cannot compress memory data, sorry for my bad translation).

I tried to save it today and checked the folder, the saved game is about 4350 bytes instead of normally 950k from yesterday !!! (I was in the early 1938).

Well, Im no software expert, but maybe something happened in the game yesterday with memory management while saving it, I hope you will fix that and that I dont have to restart my scenario again, Im well on the run with germany until now :p

Greetings from Berlin, Germany

Thommel, the problem you have with loading saves of rtw2 is common.

To my knowledge, it will happen in any case of continuing a save of a game. You can start a game and play as long as you want, but continuing is impossible.

Still waiting for confirmation from Dale as to the cause or a fix. I'd like to know if anyone is able to load and play saves from rtw2 properly but as far as I know, everyone is seeing this problem.

This version is a fantastic upgrade. Now if we can just work with saves...

I am working on a fix. Sorry for the delay but RL is kicking in a bit these last few weeks. :)

The American GI did not wear flight jackets or wear jodpurs :crazyeye: as all seem to do frankly that scares me. How about more diversity in the GI uniform and adding some African uniforms for the British Tommies , the Jerry Africa Corps and the Italian soldier:king: boxNJ

I've got no problems loading or saving games, however I get an instant crash when using marines to assault or defend (London).

My game is up-to-date, playing as Germany 1939 (Hitler) open play.

[edit]

seems it was just a coincidence with the marines, now it always crashes on reload :-(

Hi Dale,

accordingly to my first post I found some interesting links for german tanks for you to get "inspiration" :)

Unfortunately they are in german language:

about anti-tank "Panther" http://www.panzerplatte.de/Jagd4.html

about Tiger and other: http://www.panzerplatte.de/

The first Tiger came up in about 1942, and a second version 1944-1945. First Tiger was stronger than the middle Tank IV.

With best regards, Thommel

I'm just curious, is there any way to improve the AI in this game? This was in the older versions before I gave up on this mod (I'm gonna try again with the new AOP) but the AI seemed inherently incapable of any kind of effective strategy. While playing as the Allies, it was far too easy to keep Germany from capturing France. Often there was one city in southeastern Poland that would go unoccupied by either Germany or the USSR for about a year. The Japanese were meek in the Pacific. This seemed to be true whether I was involved or not... France didn't necessarily fall even if I was the USA... I'll bump the difficulty way up, I guess, but if the AI is as bad as I remember it being, all the amazing work in this mod is going to waste, IMO.

That all being said, this is a very impressive mod, and you deserve the highest praise from all the thousands of people that have played this... I just remember being disappointed by the AI.

With all the discussion about tanks, I thought I'd add a bit more to the topic (and not just heavy should be more pwoerful than medium).

Yes, tanks should get chewed up attacking cities. Maybe start them with a "buttoned up" demotion of -25% city attack. Later in the war some tanks were outfitted with a head-set/phone at the rear to make it easier for infantry to talk to the tank commander without the cmdr unbuttoning.

There was a huge, huge difference in tank designs between the various civs during the war. Early on the Germans had wonderful designs but were overmatched by the T34 until the PzIV was upgunned to a long barrel 75.

The later Pz V Panther had only ~6000 units made (and just 1300 Tigers). In comparison the US made 45,000 Sherman tanks!! Other late-war German tanks and tank destroyers like the King Tiger, JagdPanther and JagdTiger were only made in the 100's of units.

So it would be ok to model the Heavy Tank as a Tiger if the cost to make it for the Germans was 2 or 3x the cost of the Medium Tank. The Allies heavy tank would be the Pershing which had about 2200 units made. Note that the US cost to make a Pershing should be about the same as the Sherman.

The clear advantage the US had in armor was in the producibility and maintainability of their tanks which arose from the auto industry.

Its no wonder that US tanks were designed by GM and German tanks by Porsche!

Back to Civ, could German tanks break down and fail to attack on a turn like air and sea units that "miss their target"?

Great Mod!

It's great to talk about tanks in the historical sense. All the production numbers, and how they matched up against each other is great.

But the bottom line is, tanks have been balanced for gameplay, not history. Every change to tanks has been simply for game balance.

Sorry if this makes you historical anal-retentive folks squirm. ;)

Just continuing with the histoical anal retentiveness, is there any particular why we still start off the game with light tanks and after we research light tanks we are allowed to build mediums? ;)

Dan

Thommel, the problem you have with loading saves of rtw2 is common.

To my knowledge, it will happen in any case of continuing a save of a game. You can start a game and play as long as you want, but continuing is impossible.

Still waiting for confirmation from Dale as to the cause or a fix. I'd like to know if anyone is able to load and play saves from rtw2 properly but as far as I know, everyone is seeing this problem.

This version is a fantastic upgrade. Now if we can just work with saves...

I've found a workaround that lets you continue from a rtw2 save.

First load the mod and start a new scenario (I used the same parameters as the saved game), then from this new game load your old save and it seems to work. Takes a lot longer to get back into the game, but you only need to do it once a session.

HTH

Artillery is way too overpowered with the second Add-on. Each artillery gets to fire at any attacking unit, every time. If the AI places 6 or more arty pieces in a tile, no land unit can get through.

And since artillery is now immune to collateral damage from other artillery units, the only way to remove them is with massive bomber runs. I lost 15 tanks, 30 infantry as Germany trying to take Krakow with the Poles having 8 arty units defending the city and 3 light tanks.

Each time, the unit gets obliterated before even getting to attack the defending unit. Not to mention that if your unit attacks from your stack, the defending artillery gets to damage all of your units waiting to attack.

Your own artillery does get to fire on the defending stack but its pointless since artillery cannot cause collateral damage on the defending arty.

Top Bottom