1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruleset Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ4 -ISDG 2012' started by Lord Parkin, Jun 1, 2012.

1. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

I would personally remove the second half of 3.4 - as long as they already have a high-enough level unit giving them another one shouldn't be a problem.

2. fluffyflyingpig

fluffyflyingpig Warlord

Proposed change:

3.4: Unit Gifting
    Gifting a unit with experience needed to promote to Level 4 to teams who have not built the Heroic Epic and cannot currently do so is not allowed. Gifting a unit with experience needed to promote to Level 6 to teams who have not built West Point and cannot currently do so is not allowed.

Hopefully the wording is clearer this way!

3. talonschild

I second the proposed change.

4. Manolo65

Manolo65 Chieftain

My mod prohibit logins out of turn, or not, admin chosse

5. fluffyflyingpig

fluffyflyingpig Warlord

Manolo, can you please provide the admin account information for the test game going on now so that everyone fully understand what this mod does?

And could you please provide all of the documentation and source code you have for the mod, I don't think we have a very good idea of how this all works.

Thanks! =)

6. Manolo65

Manolo65 Chieftain

In english I have this

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11550437&postcount=20

In spanish I can explain you all of you want .and in in my poor englihs too if you give me much time to:

first to understood your questions and for translate my answers uff :(

7. fluffyflyingpig

fluffyflyingpig Warlord

This is helpful, thanks!

Can you post the apmod.com admin nick/password for the test game?

8. DNK

DNK Member

I think I speak for most of Apolyton when I raise serious objections to the role of the admin in this game (though let them correct me if not). It's not a minor concern.

I do not see why the admin should be the sole adjudicator of gameplay issues. It puts a lot of power into the hands of one person, and for a game this large I think that's a recipe for certain disaster. I would prefer to see a more democratic approach for sure, rather than letting someone I've never known settle every dispute that arises single-handedly.

9. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

As long as the admin is impartial it shouldn't be a problem. It's more of a recipe for disaster to let democracy rule disputes. Teams involved in a dispute will be far from impartial, and it's all too easy for the process to become a tyranny of the majority. (In other words, the predominant alliance decides the outcome of disputes in their favour most of the time.)

10. talonschild

And also causes disputes that they can then settle in their favour. An admin means no team or alliance thereof can act with impunity.

11. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

The Spanish mod apparently hides Civstats info:

The Civstats FAQ explains fairly well why this is not a good idea:

You're just empowering the teams that stay logged into the game for longer.

Also, there's a big potential issue here:

This could quite easily lead to major problems in a game with a large number of players per team and/or dedicated players, both of which are the case here.

12. Yuufo

Yuufo Chieftain

Maybe a board of 3 referees could be a good compromise?

13. fluffyflyingpig

fluffyflyingpig Warlord

This seems like a good idea in theory, but finding 3 impartial people available and willing to make timely rulings for a game that may last over a year will be hard. Added complexity and delay for relatively little gain.

The last thing we'd want is for one of the referees to disappear for months and hold up the game.

Besides, as discussed and generally agreed to earlier in the thread, if all the teams democratically reach consensus on the resolution of any dispute there is no need for any admin action or rulings at all.

14. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

Our game admin has several wise and respected CFC mods/admins to consult if anything tricky should arise. I'm not too worried with the way things are set up now.

15. Manolo65

Manolo65 Chieftain

Caledorn is the admin of the game test ..

16. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

You can run both civstats and the website which is connected to the mod. So the uneven information aspect can be addressed that way.

I found something potentially troubling when browsing the other games section of the mod website.
    The in-game log is visible to people who are not registered into the game as owning civs, including what techs were researched that turn -- though you don't necessarily know by whom.

17. Manolo65

Manolo65 Chieftain

This is ony at non private games

private games its no visible from other people

18. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

@ DNK - Without getting involved in the debate over the merits of a single admin vs. a 3 judge panel, I think it is worth reminding everyone that we are still trying to get someone to commit to be a backup admin. That is to say, after asking every Mod and Admin I could think of as well as non Mods who have been admins in past games, we were only able to get one CFC Mod to volunteer for the onerous task. So as a simple practical consideration, 3 judge panel is going to be tough. We dont even have a backup admin yet.

19. fluffyflyingpig

fluffyflyingpig Warlord

Manolo, please provide login and password information for the current practice game that is ongoing.

Thanks!

20. Manolo65

Manolo65 Chieftain

Only players can see the game but a civ of the game can be associated with many web users.

Maybe a player could associate his civ to your web user