Running Windows versions of Civ4 on a Mac

What does your Mac Air have for a video card? If you're not sure, you can look at the machine's specs by clicking "About this Mac" (under the far left Apple menu) and then "More Info".

Thanks, but that's discussing problems with the native Mac application of Civ IV, and not the Windows application of Civ IV on a virtual Windows machine. I don't experience the same problems that Xyth (and others) have reported with the Mac version. Instead, I seem to have a new problem related to the Windows version. (That said, I do understand that the graphics card might be part of the problem, I just think I have a different problem and I'm hoping to hear from someone who is familiar with it and might have suggested solutions.)

I understand what you are saying. There are other threads that also address the Intel card's poor graphics capability. Many of them show similar problems to the one that you are having. The graphics card, rather than the system would seem to be the problem. However, I am sure that someone who uses the Windows in a Mac combo will show up to comment and perhaps have a different take on the situation. Do be patient, since this forum has been rather slow of late.

VMWare Fusion can't convert DirectX graphics code into OpenGL any more efficiently than Aspyr can ... and it probably does it less well since Aspyr may be able to take steps to optimise the translation for Civ4's specific tasks. Intel graphics processors are noted for their limited performance for gaming, and putting OpenGL on top just twists the knife further.

I just got a new MacBook Pro and am hoping to install Civ4 for windows on it using Parallels. I previously had an old MacBook and installed Parallels on it. Used Time Machine to migrate everything, including the Parallels software over to the new machine. The software recognizes that my hardware is updated now, but I'm having trouble installing Civ. After trying to run the setup.exe, I get: "Error Number: 0x80040702 Description: Failed to load DLL: DSETUP". I checked elsewhere online and the only thing I could find was to update my DirectX, which I did. This, however, has not resolved the problem. I tried rebooting to no avail. Has anyone else been able to get Civ4 working using Parallels on a MacBook Pro. I'd prefer not to have to buy Civ for Mac if I don't have to.

Thank you for any help

I can run CIv4 in Parallels on a MacBook Pro 13". Performance is not great, as it doesn't have a dedicated graphics processor, but it runs.

Have you updated the Parallels tools? Also, what version of Mac OS X are you running, and what version of Parallels?

Updated the Parallels Tools. I then realized that my computer was reading the disc as a Network drive, not the D drive as it should have. Changed what Parallels thought was the CD/DVD drive to the proper setting (it was still looking for the old DVD drive for the XP windows drive), and that fixed the problem :crazyeye: Thank you anyways

I am considering getting Windows 7 to play CIV via Boot Camp and would like some advice. My Mac is a Mac Mini with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo cpu and I am running Snow Leopard, with no intention to downgrade to Lion or Mountain Lion. (It runs Mac CIV fine but I would like to try some of the Mods.) Does CIV work equally well on the Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit versions? If so, which is better to get? Would it be worthwhile to pay the extra and get the Pro version instead of the Home Premium one?

I'm running the Windows Steam version on Windows 7 under VMWare Fusion 4 on OSX 10.7.2. It seems to be fine.

(For anyone reading my earlier messages, I'm not sure what solved the problem, but I've updated to VMWare Fusion 4 and Windows 7 and between the two of those changes, something worked.)

Top Bottom