S-05 Beat the Clock

Oh, right, it's my decision anyway :D

Got it, but it'll take a day or 2 to play.

:lol: I'm amused by that barb archer stuck on that little peninsular in the last pic.
That's too funny, but it also reminds us that Roosy won't be launching amphibious attacks on our cities should he get Navy Seals...

As to Basra, maybe we could even take it, heal up (you'll need to either move the medic rifle from Khurusan, or promote a Cav to C1/Medic to this end) and then leave it undefended as you march on Mecca in the hope that Sal will move troops out of his capital to claim it back.

Thankfully, Mecca - and most of Sal's other cities - is on flatland. His CG3/Drill 1 rifles are swines on hills: our C2/CR3 Gren had less than a 70% chance against his defender in Khurusan. Our elite cannon had something like 7% :eek:

Sal did throw a couple of decent Grenadier/Treb stacks at me, but we'll see whether these and that lone Cav were a last throw of the dice soon enough.

Facism would be nice to get at some point, Mt Rushmore would really help with the war weariness.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/85909/Beat_The_Clock_AD-1610.CivWarlordsSave

I didn't really go for the pictorial war journal this time, because I'm tired, but the wars went... smoothly enough.

Arabia:
We take Basra without loss.. almost a little too easy. After regrouping, I realise that we really don't have that many troops, no cities can really afford to be whipped or drafted too much, but I decide to push on to Mecca. Salad has a couple of cats to throw out, and 4 promoted rifles in defence. With the forces at hand, a cannon has to be sacrificed (not The Destroyer, of course, he lives on), and Mecca is ours. We REALLY don't have enough troops to do too much more damage, the cats and trebs could be upgraded, but a few more grenades and rifles are in order for Arabia.

Spain:
Izzy has more troops at hand, and so was able to pick off a grenade when I didn't notice there was no rifle in the stack with it, and also hit back on some of our draft riflemen, and they died... from cavalry...come on... I suppose that's what you get for dressing a baker up as a soldier. While waiting for all the troops to catch up, I razed Toledo and pillaged the towns in that area. A cav has been promoted to level 6, and I give him commando. On his wanderings, he notes Izzy has rifles (this guy is extremely useful). After this, I was undecided whether to go for Barca or Madrid. In the end, it was Barca for the jewish capital (more jews in the world). Unfortunately, it doesn't have a shrine!! We should have enough power to move onto Madrid now.

Last turn, steam comes in, and I started communism for state property (city maint is something like 150), but there's nothing in it. Other options are physics for the GS, or AL for infantry, although these will require a prior tech or 2. From steam, we have a few coal deposits, and I started ironclads.. useful for scouting the land and pre-bombarding. Also, Roose declared on Ragnar... he'lll never actually attack him, but it'll give Viccy a bonus modifier. We should finish that fool off asap. Lastly, a GG popped last turn, and is awaiting instructions.

Am I up or has Immaculate come off his skip?

As for the GG, perhaps a Military academy in Carthage.

I think Carthage may already have a Military Academy, though I didn't check when I looked at the save. The GG could build an MA in Utica in anticipation of the Globe finally getting finished.

Looking at the save, Izzy has Astro and Chemistry, too, so our nets are in trouble.

As for Immaculate, I guess he'll post when he's back, so I'd say it's all yours, Stuge.

Yes, Carthage has an academy. Would not go for Utica because we will be mainly drafting from there, not building (much more efficient). Up you you stuge - attach to a unit or merge another into carthage/neapolis.

We will wait for Immaculate to check in before including him in the roster, so Stuge is up with Swiss Pauli on deck.

On the pre-turn, I notice that Mecca houses the Pyramids. Excellent. I switch immediately to police state. It takes a three-turn anarchy but is worth it. The most immediate benefit is to be able to drop the culture slider to 0%.

The great general was merged into Neapolis.

Steady progress was made towards the worker's paradise. Communism is three turns away now. After that, we should go towards combustion or assembly line. Combustion requires railroad, while assembly line requires economics and corporation.

On the Arabian front, things went well enough. Medina and a city that Sal founded on the ruins of Damascus were captured with few losses. Unfortunately one of our elite grenadiers died - to a trebuchet. That was horrendous. Sal attacked Medina with three trebuchets after I captured it. There was a full-strength rifle and a full-strength cavalry in the city, but apparently the first two trebuchets wounded them so badly that the badly wounded grenadier was the most suitable defender.
Despite that windfall, Sal is gassed now. He's down to two cities on his mainland.

In Spain, Madrid was taken, unfortunately no shrine for us. In addition, two cities were razed. We won't be going through the rest of Spain with ease, though. Most of her units have now been upgraded with the wave of a magic wand and some twinkly stars. Oh how I loathe those AI discounts.

And now, the highlight of this turnset.

Ironclad vs. caravel. BOO-YEAH! Glug glug glug... Shame that those things are so slow.

Save

I have played about half the turns, will finish today. I don't think we are whipping enough - there were literally dozens of things that I whipped on the IHT. Also we weren't drafting enough either - with our very high happy cap we need a lot more people moaning about conscription.

I don't think we are whipping enough - there were literally dozens of things that I whipped on the IHT. Also we weren't drafting enough either - with our very high happy cap we need a lot more people moaning about conscription.
Jain, as they say in German: our relative happy cap has just been increased by Police State, so the situation has changed dramatically from the one I passed to Sweetacshon. At that time, we could afford to whip again because whipping would have deleted a lot of war weariness (we were at almost 2 WW per pop), but not to draft as that would have caused angry citizens.

Maybe Sweetacshon and Stuge could have whipped a bit more, but whip and draft are quite cyclical anyway and for keen slave drivers, it's always enjoyable to crack that whip, isn't it, sooooo? :p

Since the wars in Arabia and Spain are pretty much won, I concentrate on infra mainly. Any new military builds were cannon since they don't obsolete. I whip a lot of things on the inherited turn, including Globe Theatre in Utica.

Notice that Vicky has SAM infantry, meaning she is ahead at least Astro, Physics, Artillery and Rocketry :eek:. Roosevelt is not as far ahead.

Techwise I finished off Communism then revolted to State Property. Think the route to artillery is a good one, so I research Astronomy next. Astronomy took 3 turns at 100% science, and I sold it to Roosevelt for more 100% science turns.

Then started on physics, although in retrospect maybe biology is better. Next player can change to biology if they feel like it.

Built 2 settlers - 1 for ex-Viking lands and the other for ex-Spain. Oxford Uni is finished in Rome, and I started West Point in Neapolis.

Militarily things went quite well. It's just a mop up of Spain and Arabia now. Building a galleon to take/raze the island cities.

Ex-Arabia:

And ex-Spain:

Here is the save, Swiss is up.

Surely that southernmost spanish city wasn't a keeper? Anyway, nice work. It looks like its 1670, so is it 10 turns til 1700 - Vic's war?

Got it. And thankfully Vicky's time is up in 1750. 1st priority in my set will be to kill Spain, the 2nd to wipe out Lödöse and Yamama (and Aden).

Should we get Corporation from Roosy? I'd like to draft Infantry versus Vic.

It's true that we will need infantry for Vicky. Maybe we should switch research to corporation and assembly line now. We can't get corp from Roosy but it's only 2-3 turns research. Hopefully we can give assembly line to roosey to get railroad from him.

Regarding that southernmost Spanish city, it pays for itself with State Property. That civic is ridiculous.

Hopefully when we wipe out Ragnar, Roosey will be willing to join us in our fight with Vicky.

Top Bottom