Sana04 - RAR Spaceship, trainingish game

0)4000BC
Settle on the spot. although moving to a hill would be great short term shield wise, moving NW would move the cattle out of the radius, and NE NE would reduce the number of shields and river tiles the capital has available, and since the capital will be a super sci city we want the max commerce we can have.

Set build to scout
Worker to road grassland towards the cow.

Set Research to cultivation

5)3750BC
Scout built, start on granery (ready to switch to Tribal gaurd if I need to)

Send scout south then west

7)3650BC
Find flood plains, I'll put my first city there
Worker builds road in that direction

14)
Seoul grows to two finally (set lux to 10%)

19)3050BC
Get Cultivation start on Masonry

20)3000BC
Granary>>Asian Clan [10]

24)2800BC
Seoul Grows to 3, set a forest river tile to be worked and reduce time till the clan appears

28)2630BC
Seoul: Clan>>TG

30)2550BC
Found P'yongyang on hill next to flood plain - seemed the best site even though there is 3 tile overlap with the capital
Set to JWarrior

33)2430BC
Masonry>>Urbanisation [11]
Espy Exotic friuts int he jungle to our north - our first lux. Town number 5 probably

34)2390BC
P'yong: Jwarrior>>Scout
Jwarrior fortifies

35)2350BC
Seoul: TG>>Clan

40)2190BC
P'Yong: Scout>>Wiseman
Find sugar far to the north

44)1990BC
Ubranisation>>Ritualism[7]
Seoul: Clan>>Wiseman
Since road in the jungle not finished yet (so a city can claim the cereal but not overlap with seoul) send caln south to the coastal hill next to the floodplains

47)1870BC
Find Olives far to the south

49)1790BC
Build Wonsan it starts on Wiseman since we seem to be alone and need to do our own research (looking at zorns that seems to be incorrect...)

50)1750BC
Ritualism>>Writing[10]
P'yong: Wiseman (writing drops to 8) >> Asian clan [15]

Settle in place for the shield potential and bonus commerce. Start a wisedman.
Ritualism came in, built a wiseman, started a scout and writing.
Meat Ceasar: He is blocking the choke. Trade 3 techs for 1 tech and 2 workers. Hehe, I am evil and Ceasar is doomed now.
I build a WH in Seoul, finally start on a clan.
Build Pyongyang, start on a wiseman.
I built for the long term, and tried to get as many boosters up ASAP.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/Sana04_romeo.SAV

Welcome to the game namliaM. And Own, if you get it working, feel free to stay in the game/lurk. Is it still the same error as before that you're getting? I'll post my turns and some thoughts later tonight. Anyone else who wants to look at other people's starts and offer advice/comments/praise/critiques/etc, go ahead.

I of course like my start due to the building of the enhancers. I also like Zorn's with the coastal city and the nice 2 city puch.
I think we can take and win with any of these posted starts.

Meet Rome around turn 25 to the NW. Trade alpha+ritualism for warfare+masonry.

Turn 30: favor worker housings to a clan, so that the enxt comes in faster.

Turn 40ish: Rome beats us to Caste system.

We are heading for a monopoly of Urbanisation and probably of writing, so we can grab techs back.

El Save

I like the 3-cities start myself. I guess you need to exploit the faster growth at sizes 1 and 2 in RaR chiefdom. That'll teach me ;)

My turns: I'm a big fan of the extra shield from founding on a hill, so I move the original settler 2 SW, to still be on a river, still get the cow, but make an extra shield. found Seoul in 3950, first build is a scout, research on cultivation, based on picking from the techs that only one of our opponents know, and hoping for some luck with who's where.

3800: Scout built, start Wiseman. Both scout & wiseman were MMed to not waste shields, costing us 3 food total, which I figured we'd make up quickly enough after the border expansion when we could use the cow.

3500BC: Wiseman built in Seoul, start granary. Meet rome, but we can't afford warfare or domestication from them, and we're not allowed to acquire boat building via trade. Rome was just moving their blockade into place, so no way to get through to the N of our continent.

3200: Seoul grows, lux to 10%, and discover corn NE of Seoul, looks like the 2nd city will go there.

3100: Research Cultivation, trade it + alphabet to Rome for Domestication and 55 gold. Start on Ritualism, aiming for writing to trade. There's a flood plain camel SW of Seoul, so 2nd city is going there, corn will be 3rd.

2950: Seoul granary-->clan

2800: Research ritualism-->writing

2670: Seoul grows to 3, lux to 30%

2590: Seoul clan-->clan, lux back to 0

2510: Seoul to size 2, lux to 10

2430: P'yongyang founded on river plains by the camel, and discover it has incense too after border expansion. Start a wiseman there

2310: Seoul to size 3, lux to 30

2270: Seoul clan-->tribal guard for defense/MP. lux to 0, Research Writing.
Writing & 30 gold to rome gets us warfare, I start Maths hoping for trade value

2150: Seoul & P'yongyang both grow to size 2, lux goes to 20. Wonsan founded on a river hill by the corn, also with incense once the borders expand
Start a granary in wonsan

2070: P'yongyang builds wiseman-->granary
Rome establishes an embassy with us.

1990: Seoul TG-->TG

1950: Research Maths. We can't get techs for it, but get 59 gold, 4 gpt. Rome obviously has contacts, and are profiting from us trading techs to them, but I figured if we didn't they'd be likely to research it themselves anyway.

1790: Seoul TG-->clan. TG heads for P'yongyang
1750: Research Caste System-->Masonry

Summary: Rome is racing ahead on tech, but we're only 3 techs from dynasticism, so should be able to get there, get philo and trade our way back. We've got 3 decent cities, including 2 wisemen, 1 granary and 2 more granaries soon, all 3 can be settler factories, and we seem to have all land S of the chokepoint to ourselves. We can now research boat building in 1 turn, so can send out a couple of canoes soon to get some contacts.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/Sana04_sana_1750_BC.SAV

Looks to me like hill settling paid off. I didn't know RaR extra shields on city tiles are unaffected by being a village-size settlement. Nice set.

And some comments:

me said:
Additional: There is only 1 way for us to get optional techs: We must research every last beaker of them ourselves, in 1 turn only. Can't trade for them, can't get them as free techs via philo, oracle, etc, can't self research if it takes longer than 1 turn.

zorn said:
T24

Math completed. My first instinct is to go for mansonry, but from what my two scouts have discovered we might be on some sort of island. So I go for boat building.

T30

Boat buildding -> sailing

namliaM said:
T47 Trade Alpha for Boat Building+12g

romeo said:
I think we can take and win with any of these posted starts.

Agree with romeo, all the starts look decent, all look winnable. Choice seems to come down to 3, disenfranchised's, romeo's, and Beorn's. Zorn and namliaM's look good too, except for getting boat building and/or sailing. I don't want to use mine as I had a little bit of spoiler info from setting up the game and having a quick look around.

disenfranchised said:
30)2550BC
Found P'yongyang on hill next to flood plain - seemed the best site even though there is 3 tile overlap with the capital

44)Since road in the jungle not finished yet (so a city can claim the cereal but not overlap with seoul) send caln south to the coastal hill next to the floodplains

3 tile overlap is not a big deal. It's a long time before we can work more than 14 tiles, so I agree completely about that being the best spot for p'yongyang. (And it's even better once we get domestication. :D ) I disagree about the location by the cereals for the same reason. We don't need to avoid the overlap, building on the hill that Beorn, Romeo and namliaM did gets an extra shield in the city centre, and doesn't require building a road through the jungle. If we go with this save, I think that should be the next city location.

I don't mind which of the 3 we go with. Beorn and romeo have 1 fewer city, but the cities are better (and romeo has extra workers.), disenfranchised has less improvements and slightly less science, but hasn't met the romans yet, meaning we might be a chance to catch up a bit. All 3 have a good city location still vacant, either by camels or corn.

What do you guys think?

I can't believe'd I missed the romans considering how close they seem :) (though a scout is a mere 5 turns away I think).

I quite like my start as I think it'll get more cities in the short term, though lack of sheild boosters needs to be rectified...

Does Romeo have a granary in seoul? If not then definatley Beorn's, if he does have one then I've got no idea as to which of the two I like better.

Well thats my thoughts for the weekend, hopefully you guys will have a decision on monday.

In my game Seoul has a granary, Wiseman, WH, and forge.

I think your is superior from settling on hills. 1 extra shield times 3 cities times a few hundred turns is a couple wonders, or a couple Apaches. My second pick would be Romeo's, as he is more improved and has more workers.

Sounds like you may need to get an outside opinion. I know I would be heavily influenced by how much military. I have been burned to many times with RaR starting with a farmer's gambit.

I am unconcerned with early military, we will have plenty of time to build that up soon enough. The Romans are the only AI we know, and we will have plenty of warning by the time they go rouge.

For what it's worth, sana, and [edit: I've been wearing the hat, you see, it's working :D] Zorn if you read this, the volcano-shaped dunce :confused: hat is finished. It is blue though, but it's a fine piece of crochet and I'm pretty proud of it. I don't have a digital camera, but eventually I'll post a pic :D

Arg, stupid boats, stupid math, stupid me.
Can´t read can´t count can`t think.....:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Time to put this dunce hat to use, I guess...

Hey I didn't think about either of those either myself, Zorn. And that city in sana03 never got killed by the volcano ;)

Randomising device (aka roll a dice) says Beorn's start, since there's no consensus. First one to post a 'got it' can play, I'll do up a roster after that.

Well, that makes someone to blame :mischief:
Not a got it.

Top Bottom